How to carry a tomahawk?

I just got a Cold Steel Trail 'Hawk. :)
I like my new tool so far, but I'm not sure how I'm going to tote it around.

If you folks take tomahawks or other small axes camping or hiking or whatnot, how do you carry them?

In a pack, or on your person? Do you have a sheath of some kind?

I make one of these ;-))

4133795468_d7101e4068.jpg

ive got a cover that slips over the edge and is held in place with a simple toggle. it either goes in my belt or stuffed in my blanket which is rolled up and carried on a tumpline. out of the way but still fairly quick to the hand.

I just slip mine under my belt. I do have a sheath over the blade though.
Bob

Pipeman: I like that sheath and frog combo. Mind if I steal the design? Looks good.

Best
Dwight

Be my guest Dwight. Enjoy. Make the slots in the frog to fit your belt width nice and snug. I was wearing my Sunday meeting belt the day I took the pics.:D

Regards

Robin

Anyone on here selling anything like that?

I'd like to get one for my CS Riflemans hawk, and maybe one for a trail hawk too.:)

I put this one together myself, and it works OK, but I don't realy have the proper tools to make anything as nice as most of the leather work I see around here...
various2008-2009104.jpg

Last edited:
I made a blade cover, and just tuck the 'hawk under my belt behind my back, at 5 o'clock, at about a 45 degree angle. It stays there very well on its own.

i like to carry mine like this.
siouxcarry2.jpg

i use my hawk a lot as sort of a walking stick in rough country when scrambling, so it is nice to have ready.

vec

MASH, that's a nifty one piece setup, where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

MASH, that's a nifty one piece setup, where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

I made that one, it's maybe my 5th or 6th time doing leather work so it is a bit amateur in places, but it works. :)

Back