How to carry a tomahawk?

I make one of these ;-))

4133795468_d7101e4068.jpg

Thats how I'm carrying some of my Hawks these days. Works out pretty well. Pipeman, thanks again for the design and letting me use it.

Heber

Hey Heber
I'm glad you like it. The way I figure it, someone else probably thought of it long before I did. What made me think of it was an old boy scout thingy for carrying a flag, a small cup to hold the pole on your belt for parades.:D

Best regards

Robin

you can find a decent hammer loop for a workbelt at any hobby store, though my HB Forge throwing hawk has a nice buffalo hide sheath-typically it rides between the side and main pockets of my Mountainsmith Maverick, out of sight of the yuppies but ready to access at a moment's notice. I've been doing alot of dayhikes lately with an unsheathed trailhawk tucked in my belt at 10:30 where it rides flat against my asscheek and where the haft isn't bouncing around against my knees. As far as field axe sized stuff, check out Bushman5's surplus LBV rig. It's extremely efficient. I'm making a similar design load bearing belt/bandoleer rig where my field axe will be carried on my back along the bandoleer, just under my bedroll.

I've been doing alot of dayhikes lately with an unsheathed trailhawk tucked in my belt at 10:30 where it rides flat against my asscheek and where the haft isn't bouncing around against my knees.

...if 6 is straight behind...
Wouldn't 10:30 be in the left front about where a standard pants pocket is?
And riding flat on your ass cheek be about 8:00?

I did this to be funny in another thread but seems to fit here better...;)

DSC07596.jpg

I have just recently ordered a kydex blade cover that should make this almost feasible...:)

:D

I see that several of you use leather. I have seen on here some covers made from kydex. I was wondering if anyone makes a full holster for a trailhawk from kydex that can be used on a molle system.

...if 6 is straight behind...
Wouldn't 10:30 be in the left front about where a standard pants pocket is?
And riding flat on your ass cheek be about 8:00?

baw you're right for whatever reason I was thinking of 12 as my six... :eek:

I did this to be funny in another thread but seems to fit here better...;)

DSC07596.jpg

I have just recently ordered a kydex blade cover that should make this almost feasible...:):D

Thats a great mod to the SOG Fusion Hawk, regarding the handle... did you make a new handle or mod the original? and i would like to see the kydex sheath, who makes it? thanks

A friend made this for me to carry my KR Johnson hawk. Belt loop behind the buffalo head. Makes for a nice secure carry and keeps it handy.

032.jpg
[/IMG]

i just tuck the hawk in my belt with the blade facing behind me and its semi-safe and very fast

You can also use a D-cell Mag-Lite belt loop. It works for most hawks, with or without a poll. Cold Steel Norse Hawk shown...
009-55.jpg

What about those of us with one of Vec's hawks? Mine for example is 24" in length, and so dangling from my belt isn't a good option.

Only issue I found when using the rings on duty was my light would flop all over when brisk walking or running. Do you have a work around on that JNieporte?

What about those of us with one of Vec's hawks? Mine for example is 24" in length, and so dangling from my belt isn't a good option.

look at those ice axe loops that seem to be on every backpack these days.

simply drop your hawk through a loop of leather or paracord on your belt when you need it handy;

twist that arrangement up and tie the butt to a shoulder strap,

...or if you have a lanyard on the hawk, tie it to something in front, after you wrap it over your shoulder, etc. - there are a million modifications to suit your own taste, and the hawk can be frictioned in so that with a sharp and unnatural tug, your hawk is deployed and ready to use of fight with, while being held secure the rest of the time.

that's one reason i make those retractable lanyards on the Gen 1 Mk V Hawks - so you can use them as part of your stowing arrangement - just open the lanyard and you should be able to loop it over your shoulder.

my favorite way to carry a hawk, is piggy-backing on a possibles bag, or on one of my machete sheaths with a wool blanket and tarp - makes for a great grab-n-go arrangement.

i should have some pictures of that on this next set of sheaths.

hawk carry should be lively.

other choppers are for working on wood, proper hawks are an extension of your body;

putting them away too securely is like handcuffing one hand to your belt when you hike, because you are only using your other hand for the time being;

the hook effect of a hawk is a huge asset to me personally, not just in combatives, but when pulling thorns and such out of the way while leaving very little sign behind....

why let something like that dangle on a belt? - at least when walking?

- i am not saying there isn't a reason, but whatever it is, i don't now what it is.

at least wrap a blanket or tarp around it and use your hawk as a pack platform.

HTH.

vec

Only issue I found when using the rings on duty was my light would flop all over when brisk walking or running. Do you have a work around on that JNieporte?

No, not really. the tomahawk (whichever one I'm using) flops around, but not as much as a Mag-Lite does. In all truth, the hawk is usually in my hand; the ring is only for when my hands are busy and I don't want to lay my tool on the ground.

Back