• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How to make the GEC drop?

When GEC releases new knives, what's the best way to get in on the drop? Do you follow multiple distributors? Do said distributors offer pre-sales? Any help would be appreciated. I'm new at this.

When GEC releases new knives, what's the best way to get in on the drop? Do you follow multiple distributors? Do said distributors offer pre-sales? Any help would be appreciated. I'm new at this.

well certain places does reserves, so for example knifeswapper knifeswapper or Mike Latham's joint, collector's knives, you can sign up! he is one of the best and fairest of the dealers out there in terms of price and working out the reserves.

There are essentially three solutions being used by dealers. 1) A drop on the website once the knives are received, first come - first served. 2) A pre-order. Many dealers now call them reservations; but most require a down payment ($10 seems common). You will actually checkout from their store with an item which I presume entitles you to complete the payment and purchase the product once it is available. 3) An early reservation system where you send an email or submit a form and tell the business you would like to be notified when the knife is available.

I don't really know how each dealer has implemented each of the solutions, but I am sure they are implemented well. We have the (original) knife Early Reserve System. I'm sure that will aggravate some to read me saying that, but we started this process 10 years ago with emails and a spreadsheet wherein customers actually got in an orderly line instead of just a notification system once the product was in stock (which is essentially a drop - with notice). With our solution, there is no room for favoritism or moving one person ahead of the others. It is several dollars worth of development to insure each person is placed on a list which is instantly verified on the screen, with an email, and in you account settings. When the product becomes available, each customer is notified in the order they submitted their reservation. There is also a notification system that alerts all notification subscribers within seconds of an item being added to the ERS. The only current permanent exception are the Charlie Campagna SFO's - because we only get a handful and everyone is interested. Thus if we alert everyone instantaneously, neither our web store nor a reasonable upgrade can seamlessly handle the influx of traffic that is caused.

Thus, for standard items, most solutions would be reasonable and you just need to find one that works for you.

For high demand items, get on as many lists as possible as fast as possible, and - good luck.

A lot of dealers aren't exactly advertising what they do so best bet is to email them. Most have some sort of newsletter but it gets hairy with Charlie's releases. I have never been successful getting a reservation.

I sent a pm to Lyle at wlfryjr on bladeforums. It took a few days for him to get back. I have some of the luck creek 38 so I wanted the matching smooth bone too.

I went search for his old farmer jack thread and found his profile there. He put me on a list and at least 5 other folks sent me a pm asking how I did it. So there you go.

Good luck.

With many of the other dealers, concerning the upcoming #14 SFO runs, simply email them and say what you're hoping to get on the list for.

What I do is put on my full turkey hunting camouflage outfit, paint my face like Mel Gibson in Braveheart, and stay up all night before a GEC drop, and I have 11 desktop computers with scripts running to buy maximum number of releases instantly, and as soon as my web crawler notes any change in a dealers website, I drink 5 espresso shots and start clicking.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about Lyle's SFO? I PMed him a couple weeks ago and never heard anything.

They had a drop at TKC about five minutes ago. For the first time, I had everything set up, I had nothing else going on, I started refreshing ten minutes before the drop, and then finally- they appeared! I rapidly clicked add to cart, my info is already set up, this is great, scroll down, hit “complete purchase” like a frog on a fly. Loading, loading, come on, come on, let’s go…

“THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE”

I guess I’m done buying new GEC’s, I can’t fathom how they can literally sell out in less then 10 seconds. I physically could not have gone through the process any faster. Oh well, I guess I’ll pick one up at 3x the sale price in a couple days🙄

They had a drop at TKC about five minutes ago. For the first time, I had everything set up, I had nothing else going on, I started refreshing ten minutes before the drop, and then finally- they appeared! I rapidly clicked add to cart, my info is already set up, this is great, scroll down, hit “complete purchase” like a frog on a fly. Loading, loading, come on, come on, let’s go…

“THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE”

I guess I’m done buying new GEC’s, I can’t fathom how they can literally sell out in less then 10 seconds. I physically could not have gone through the process any faster. Oh well, I guess I’ll pick one up at 3x the sale price in a couple days🙄
I've been in your shoes a few times with this exact scenario (same dealer). Some of it is being at the right place at the right time... some of it is just pure dumb luck. All I can suggest is don't fret and try again. Especially if this was your first attempt there. All I'm gonna say about that. Good luck 🤞

I only buy a GEC if I can get it for msrp, and I just try to think of it like a game or lottery. If I get in an early reserve, or manage to purchase one, it's my lucky day. If not, I'm saving money for something else. It's a win/win.

Hobbies should be fun.

agreed, close to or lowest near msrp price for me since retailers have so much variation in the price. its too much work to chase drops nowadays.

Back