How to spot a fake CRK?

cnm123

Gold Member
Hopefully this is in the right area.
I'm not real familiar w/ CRK, have handled a couple, never owned one. I have an opportunity to purchase a smaller (i assume a 21?) folder for significantly less than retail.
It is used but not very much, still kind of stiff opening. The finish has that new rough/not broken in feel to it.
It has all the right marks, the lanyard looks replaced or retied.

Are there some telltale signs I should look for?

.....The guy selling it has an assortment of some descent knives and fakes, but is not hesitant at all to say things like "that medford is fake, this one isn't" and priced accordingly. He seems on the level.

There's no way I'd buy a knife from anyone that had even admitted fakes. People are cunning and if he knows you're interested in the CRK, he might tell you anything to get you to part with your cash. One thing the Chinese fake very poorly is the box, birthday card and everything else that comes with CRK. Without it and the lanyard messed up I'd pass.

Last edited:
Is this fake or the real deal?

e12d6e.jpg

One sign that seems common on CRK fakes that I've seen posted to this forum is the use of torque fasteners instead of allen bolts. The knife in the picture above is fake as the pocket clip should end half on the lockbar and half on the scale. The surest way to make sure you are getting an authentic CRK is to buy from a reputable dealer.

Jill, you're right that is a 25, I thought it was an Inkosi which has an angled clip.

You can post a photo and get your answer. In general though-if in doubt, pass. It is not worth wasting all your money to get a discount. If the price is significantly lower than the secondary market there usually is a reason(sorry but we will not be able to talk specific prices due to your membership level-rule).

I can't post pics, and I knew I couldn't mention any price or ask value.

post #11 real.

Last edited:
Real or fake?
29gjtzl.jpg

That one is a fake too. The lockbar depressions are on the outside while on a real CRK they would be on the inside. Also, the finish looks too shiny. They did a good job on the inlays though.

That one is a fake too. The lockbar depressions are on the outside while on a real CRK they would be on the inside. Also, the finish looks too shiny. They did a good job on the inlays though.

Lol, hardly it came from New Graham Knives and cost me 445.00 dollars some years ago.

CPP,
just what you said earlier, post 11 has Allen head screws not torx.
The clone also has mixed screw heads correct?

Whoops, sorry, I have a small 21 and there is only one shallow lockbar relief on the outside, yours must be a large to have two. Or, perhaps they changed the design slightly. Bummer, I thought I could start CRK-fake-detection company

Back