How to stonewash knives

Hi I want to know what I need to stonewash do I need a tumbler or something links would be very
helpfull thank you for your time.

Solo put gravel, soap, water and the blade in a thick plastic jar and put it in the washer or dryer which gave the blade a light stonewash. Most are done with a tumbler and ceramic media I believe though.

Solo put gravel, soap, water and the blade in a thick plastic jar and put it in the washer or dryer which gave the blade a light stonewash. Most are done with a tumbler and ceramic media I believe though.

I thought the used tumblers and media like I use in cleaning cartridge cases, alter the medial to get the finish you want??

Try over in the knife makers section. :)

I tried Solos method with varying degrees of success. First you darken the blade with Ferric acid then put the blade in a jar with some rocks and shake away. There is a big thread over on USN with some other guys results. Here is what my three knives look like after I was done with them.

010-18.jpg

003-23.jpg

005-15.jpg

To do it with a tumbler would I just need a rock polisher or brass tumbler like from harbor fright and ceramic and where do you buy the ceramic from?

To do it with a tumbler would I just need a rock polisher or brass tumbler like from harbor fright and ceramic and where do you buy the ceramic from?
If you can find a jewlery making supply store specifically, they carryeverything you need to tumble. Including various kinds of media, tumblers, and other useful information.

If you can find a jewlery making supply store specifically, they carryeverything you need to tumble. Including various kinds of media, tumblers, and other useful information.

Thanks man - "jewlery making supply store" sounds expensive! :eek:

I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, more then stonewashed it comes out looking like its just been scrapped along the road behind a truck for a couple miles on each sides...

Send it to a company or knife maker that will professionally do it for you... its worth the money instead of ruining your blade.. ;) but thats just my 2 cents if it matters at all..

Thanks man - "jewlery making supply store" sounds expensive! :eek:

Not at all. They do sell gold and silver sheets, rods, hollow tubes, etc. Jut about anything to solder or braze anykind of gold and silver jewlery. I used to make jewlery when I was a teenager, that is how I know they sell the stone for stonewashing. :)

I have an industral "tumbler" at my shop with new ceramic media, if you would like send me your blades and I will stone wash them free of charge.....sans shipping of course!!!!

I tried the rocks from the driveway thing just for fun and it didn't work out so well. A small rock tumbler filled with ceramic media is the way to go!

I should delete the homemade stonewash video, it was a fail. :)

Back