how to you manage your other "hobbies"

I love my knives and i collect them but i also am a active studio musician and i gig at bars 3 times a week. I play guitar and allways have a hard time deciding do i get a knew knife or new guitar gear (pedals, pedal boards, amps... ect) how do you guys decide when to use your money for knives or for you other interests.

Well, the good thing about knives is that they last a long time. My other hobby is Disc Golf and that's a fairly cheap hobby. I buy a couple of new discs a year, 5 tops. So my yearly cost for Disc Golf is typically under $125. Every once in a while I'll pick up a higher priced collectible disc though but I would say I spend less than $200 a year most years on Disc Golf stuff. Then again our disc golfing season here in MN is pretty short.

So, I probably buy less knives in the summer because I'm buying disc golf stuff in the summer.

I know where you're coming from, I have two motorcycles and just started getting into the snake keeping hobby, both kinda expensive hobbies.
I'm not really big on knife collecting, so knives take the third position on that list. Due to evening school I don't have that much time anymore, so I'm probably gonna sell one of the bikes soon.

What I try to do is really think over any purchases I make, that really helps cutting down impulse buying which I sometimes later regret.
If I still really want it in a week, its probably worth buying.

I also don't ride through the winter, so thats when I have more money for my other hobbies

For me, other hobbies (other than listing to music 24-7) take the back seat.......knives are my only hobby that I can actually use, I'm also fixing up my uncles old rc cars, which I'll have to put a solid $100-$200 into to make em all run and that's a hopeful estimate:grumpy:...

Any way I can feel a little bit of your pain...quality music equipment is not cheap.....unless you know where to look:D

Also I think it depends on which will be more useful in the long term, in others words is it a really nice piece of equipment that you don't really need but could come in handy, or a knife that will come in handy

Opinions vary, that's mine.

Cheers!

-niner

I love my knives and i collect them but i also am a active studio musician and i gig at bars 3 times a week. I play guitar and allways have a hard time deciding do i get a knew knife or new guitar gear (pedals, pedal boards, amps... ect) how do you guys decide when to use your money for knives or for you other interests.

Haha!! Couldn't agree more.

I'm a piano player, mostly rock and blues. Been kinda slow here lately, but that's Indiana for ya. It's really not a musical state it's more of a sport driven state witch is very depressing. Been playing professionally for about 10 years, in my first band we were playing three out of four weekend a month and a lot during the week, almost got sponsored by Jagermeister but they said we didn't play enough to get their name out there..whatever. But now it's dwindled down to playing a handful of shows a year :0(. The bar owners don't want to pay, they'd rather get a DJ, or pay for karaoke. I feel like we caught the last great wave of live music that swept through Indiana, I feel like it will never come again. So I guess this makes my decision easy.

Last edited:
I manage my other hobbies just like I do with my knife collecting, I purposely do not keep track of how much money I have spent!

yeah well cheap in my buisness is $200 for pedals... for amps cheap is $900 for a good one

This is why I have at least one cheap hobby. I used to be into miniature wargames and the cost to build/paint an army and construct the battlefield terrain to historical correctness was insanely expensive. I've seen where two armies were buit along with a terrain table and it costed well over $2000. I probably spend a good $20K over my life time on wargames and related stuff. Got tired of it a few years ago, plus no time to spend hours upon hours painting and playing.

I really only like guitars, knives, and tattoos, and I have a beater PRS that I play so much I could never get another guitar, and gear tends to walk away at college, so my money really just goes to knives or tattoos. From there it's really just whichever "impulse purchase" sneaks money out of my wallet first, then of course I feel like I'm spending too much, and get stingy for maybe 3 weeks, and then it starts over.

I go with how I'm feeling at the time. I'm a very impulsive person. My newest hobby,is trying to hide my wallet from myself,so I don't buy new knives and can get new truck tires and parts.

This is why I have at least one cheap hobby. I used to be into miniature wargames and the cost to build/paint an army and construct the battlefield terrain to historical correctness was insanely expensive. I've seen where two armies were buit along with a terrain table and it costed well over $2000. I probably spend a good $20K over my life time on wargames and related stuff. Got tired of it a few years ago, plus no time to spend hours upon hours painting and playing.
And I thought PanzerBlitz and Squad Leader games/modules were expensive to play as a teen in the late 70's.

Paid for all the guitar and sound system stuff years ago , so all my spare money (that's funny..) goes to knives , gear , and Jeep now.
Too expensive upgrading all hobbies at the same time ,Imo.

You can always buy knives though , but depending on cost and frequency is how many you can actually afford.

My other hobbies are my SVT Lightning and my sportbike.

The motorcycle gets the bulk of my $$. It's not due to parts or modding, but rather the gear. Quality stuff is very very expensive. Gotta buy another leather jacket this weekend and that alone would finance a very nice mid tech (sebenza or whatever). Each of my gloves would buy a ZT 0560, that's two ZT's...

The truck is mostly done. It's as fast as I wanted!

Knives, hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, guitars, motorcycles, home theatre, woodworking and there must be a couple more. Some hobbies have sub hobbies like fly tying and reloading. Mostly they are seasonal except for a couple I do year round. I am never bored and I don't ever want to think about how much I've spent. I enjoy it more that way.

I have two and half other hobbies.

One is computers. I build one every couple of years so it does not really cost that much on yearly basis. The last one I build was before xmas 2012. A win7 machine that ended up costing around $1300. But, that should be fine for a couple years although I may build another in the meantime. Want to build a Linux machine. Only real difference will be less expensive hardware - hey - it's a Linux box. Probably $800 to $1k.

The other main hobby is pistol shooting. I have 9mm, .22 and .45 cal handguns that I take to the range during the decent weather. But I am pretty well done buying firearms for now. It's the ammo that I have to keep up with - have to start reloading.

The half a hobby is gardening. Where I live we get ruby throat hummingbirds in the summer so I plant for them and I feed them. Feeding takes a little time but all they eat is sugar water so it's not an expense. Plastic feeders are about $10-$15 each and I usually hang two at a time. They do have some flower preferences though and keeping them in blooms all season can be a challenge and if I did it up would cost more.

But this year I bought myself some knives for xmas, and I dumped a lot of my tax return into some knives so hopefully that will hold me for a while. Have three knives on pre-order so I have to have some cash on hand when they hit.

I guess I would say that I don't really worry too much about spending the cash as long as I can pay the bills - what's left over is for fun.

Knives, hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, guitars, motorcycles, home theatre, woodworking and there must be a couple more. Some hobbies have sub hobbies like fly tying and reloading. Mostly they are seasonal except for a couple I do year round. I am never bored and I don't ever want to think about how much I've spent. I enjoy it more that way.

basically this, i just spend my money on what whatever i can justify more at that five time, as my collecting type hobbies are just extensions of things i enjoy doing and they are usually seasonal it makes it easy to choose what to drop the cash on..

Knife buying, knife making, archery and bush craft are my main hobbies.

They all overlap quite nicely buy knife buying and making is the majority of my expenditure...

Fishing is up there as well but once you have good kit you are all good...

Ooh man i have a problem with my hobbies too. Too many expensive hobbies. I got the knives, rc cars/airplanes/helis, guitar and also my car. Everything gets super expensive. My gf gets angry about some of my hobbies, but hey at least it keeps me from spending money on drugs and things of that nature.

I pretty much have peaked on collecting knives, I have the kinds of knives to cover my other outdoor activities, bug out bags, camping gear, survival kits and zombie defence. If I need a knife to replace or if I just want one, I have gathered enough knowledge and know enough to come here and ask for opinions and reviews. Now I am getting into sheath making.

Back