How tough is Grivory?

Alright, here we go, Here are my tests to see how tough grivory really was.

Here is the old grivory.
100_4297-1.jpg

here is the scales in a vice.
100_4298.jpg

after being broken in the vice. It only bent about 20 degrees before breaking...
100_4299.jpg

close ups of damage
100_4300.jpg

100_4301.jpg

alrighty, next test. I have here my most favorite tool in the world (Besides the knife, of course.)
100_4302.jpg

after being hit LIGHTLY with the monkey wrench.
100_4303.jpg

hit it with monkey again, the top part went off into the abyss of nothing...
100_4305.jpg

all of the pieces that I could find.
100_4306.jpg

That poor grivory is so scared of the monkey...
100_4307.jpg

My 3rd favorite tool,
100_4309.jpg

light hit with the hammer,
100_4310.jpg

CARNAGE!!!
100_4311.jpg

MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!
100_4313.jpg

By then, my camera was out of battery power, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
how about a more realistic test - how does it hold up if dropped into the camp fire? i've always been curious if it'll shrivel up in an instant or hold it's shape fairly well - let's say 10 secs. that's long enough for me to grab my gloves and take it out of the fire if i accidentally dropped mine in.

how about a more realistic test - how does it hold up if dropped into the camp fire? i've always been curious if it'll shrivel up in an instant or hold it's shape fairly well - let's say 10 secs. that's long enough for me to grab my gloves and take it out of the fire if i accidentally dropped mine in.

That's a really good idea, maybe someone else will try it.

I was not trying to make this a realistic test, I was trying to make it one that was food for your brainses.

I like that idea. Go make a fire in and drop some of those bigger pieces in. Take each piece out at different times and see how they fared!

Drop them is a fire..............they would be like heat shrink and fit your BK14

Drop grivory in a fire and they are done. Done. And done.

Micarta dropped in a fire, makes for a bad smell, but they will still get the knife workin'.

Moose

I agree we need a fire test, I've been curious about how they hold up.

Bad, very bad. No need to burn anymore grivory handles.

They don't do fire well. These are made of nylon and glass. That's it. Nylon is about as far from Nomex as you can get.

Grivory doesn't hold up to direct fire, repeat, grivory doesn't hold up to direct fire.

Transmission complete.

Reboot.

Moose

I've never wondered how they'd hold up in fire, let alone how they hold up to smashing.. Although an amusing post, I'm with Jay, I'd rather have had real grasp on longevity say with them on a knife for instance.. dropped from various heights off a bridge, ran over, dragged down the street with your monkey wrench hanging out of a car sparks flying everywhere... (at night)

now that's scientific :)

"after being hit LIGHTLY with the monkey wrench"

So ,does this mean that a drop on concrete with a BK-9 can make the grivory handle split?

:confused:

So ,does this mean that a drop on concrete with a BK-9 can make the grivory handle split?

I think there is a big difference with the scales bolted securely to a piece of steel. Dropping a knife on concrete usually results in some damage somewhere on the knife. Hell, dropping an anvil on concrete will leave a mark on it. Just keep the scales away from monkey wrenches and they should be fine. :D

In reality, i think the actual possibility of them breaking while on the knife is slim, but certainly not impossible. Remember, Beckers have an extended tang, & the weight of the blade in front. That would be a much more realistic test. Being dropped onto concrete with handles on the knife. Any takers ???

In reality, i think the actual possibility of them breaking while on the knife is slim, but certainly not impossible. Remember, Beckers have an extended tang, & the weight of the blade in front. That would be a much more realistic test. Being dropped onto concrete with handles on the knife. Any takers ???

simply get a scrap of steel, or old file, bolt the grivory on there....then drop-test away

"after being hit LIGHTLY with the monkey wrench"

i dropped my bk-9 from chest level once when i took my pack (the bk-9 strapped to the outside) out of the truck the snap button brushed against something, it unsnapped and the knife slid out of the sheath. it hit concrete pommel first and now there's a slight dent on the corner of it but the grivory was unharmed...like TwinStick said, the tip or pommel is more likely to hit concrete first...i wouldn't worry about it :)

Give it to geek or one of the others who stabbed the BK5 tip first into concrete*cringe* at the gathering. They shouldn't have an issue with this kind of testing.:D

Back