How tough is Grivory?

I've never wondered how they'd hold up in fire, let alone how they hold up to smashing.. Although an amusing post, I'm with Jay, I'd rather have had real grasp on longevity say with them on a knife for instance.. dropped from various heights off a bridge, ran over, dragged down the street with your monkey wrench hanging out of a car sparks flying everywhere... (at night)

now that's scientific :)

now you've got my attention

I think there is a big difference with the scales bolted securely to a piece of steel. Dropping a knife on concrete usually results in some damage somewhere on the knife. Hell, dropping an anvil on concrete will leave a mark on it. Just keep the scales away from monkey wrenches and they should be fine. :D
Yes there will always be some kind of damage even if it is a light scratch.
But when looking at a polypropylene handle like on the Condor Barong .
I don't think that kind of handle will split that easy with a wrench or hammer.If it splits at all.

i dropped my bk-9 from chest level once when i took my pack (the bk-9 strapped to the outside) out of the truck the snap button brushed against something, it unsnapped and the knife slid out of the sheath. it hit concrete pommel first and now there's a slight dent on the corner of it but the grivory was unharmed...like TwinStick said, the tip or pommel is more likely to hit concrete first...i wouldn't worry about it :)

Ok,
thank you for this info.
I read some here and there,amazon etc.,that some people had the experience of the grivory split (near the screws?) when chopping.
So I was wondering about it's strenght/toughness.

It would be nice if the BK series were standard available with the micarta handle slabs.
Not as an option afterwards...

It's been said a hundred times, and I'll say it another hundred, FIRE!!!

Last edited:
Back