How useful is relying on FISHING in a survival situation?

I live in Florida. There aren't really any places where you go that you can't find aquatic animals to eat. There's even good-sized aligators in the retention ponds and ditches of our cities, if you know where to look.

Anyway, I'm sure you all know most of the tricks to getting at the grub, but here's one that works on crabs that you might not know about;

Find yourself a sheltered bankline in an estuary or river or canal of some type that is frequented by crabs. Blue crabs have become a common site in most any body of water that connects to the ocean, how ever far it be removed. Anyway, like I said, it has to be a calm bank, not a beach pounded by waves.

Wade out into the water with a stick or machete or somesuch of at least two feet in length or so, and walk paralel to the shore with the tip of the stick in the water. You can watch the crabs as you walk, find a good sized one and get as near as you dare first, then bring the submerged stick near the crab, slowly. He'll do the claw thing, back away an inch or two, then burrow backwards into the sand. When he goes into the sand, plant your stick firmly on top of him to pin him in position, and reach down from behind with your other hand to scoop him up, careful to pin his claws against his chest. Then kill him or something. Rip his arms off.

You can get a lot of crabs this way because they are very stupid and nearly always fall for this trick, once you get the hang of it.

Crablines or traps work too, but I have more sticks than string and chicken necks, or traps for that matter. Plus, this method produces results quicker.

You can also get mantis shrimp by wading out onto the tidal flats as the Sun goes down. They're pretty slow so can be caught readily by hand, but they're covered with spines and will punch you with their hooks. It hurts, but they're damned good eating. A lot of meat in the tail.

Various shellfish are easily spotted on the flats at low tide because they have some sort of siphon tube and will blow water out of it, which is visible as an upwelling even if they're in a little puddle. Just follow the spout down and you have dinner.

If they are in a puddle, there's a good chance there's a spider crab in that puddle too, probably under the grass and crapola that's floating around. I can't say I've ever eaten a spider crab as they're usualy covered with some gross stuff, but they're probably edible.

It's probably a good idea to bring a spear with you if you go walking on the flats, skates and rays are pretty common, and good eating. Just shuffle your feet so you don't step on them.

A sein net can get you a varied assortment of tiny tasties out on the flats, and can be improvised with two sticks and a t-shirt, but unless it's a netted jersey you'll likely lose all the fish. You should still have plenty of shrimp and crabs and shelffish if you walk quickly enough though.

I like snatch hooks better than bait and line when I can actualy see the fish I want to catch. Besides, I've never gotten a mullet to take a hook, even when I used bread. Just be sure to get your mullet from a sandy bottom. Mullet from a sandy bottom are real tasty, but mullet from a muddy bottom have a strong flavor, which is different...

Not a problem, guys, I'm not upset at anybody. It's just that there are a few "rules of thumb" that can get one into trouble if they are used too generally, and the 30 days without food is one used too easily without explaining what you'll be like at the end. For instance, in the '70's, some IRA activists captured in Northern Ireland and detained by the British Government (without charges being filed) went on a hunger strike. Several died around the 40th day. They had little activity but to sit in jail from day one so the 30 days was extended to 40, but they just reclined on their bunks from about day 10 on--didn't have enough energy to do anything else. There is a lot of difference in someone going without food for a class or as I did, voluntarily, because you know you have the ability to resume eating whenever you want, but someone actually lost doesn't have that hope and their mental condition will probably make or break them. BTW, I'm not going to fast like that again. It was stupid, I felt terrible, it was dangerous, and I'm not going outdoors without a small, compact, but adequate supply of calories.

Hey, this is a great forum, and you're a great bunch of subject matter experts! I'm also learning a lot. Keep it up.

Thanks--Bruce Woodbury

Back