• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

HTM Knives....the ugly

I never ever bag on a company before I give them a chance to make something right. These guys will not make their knife right if it means replacement or if it's just too hard for them.

Really......never buy an HTM knife unless you can hold it and inspect it yourself. They clearly do not have the skill and quality control needed to produce knives that live up the price point they are at. Here is my experience.

Purchased one of the 5.5 MADD Maxx models from a dealer on Amazon back in December. Knife arrived with a gritty horrible action, out of round thong hole, and what looked like refinished damage on the black pocket clip. Someone had used something to cover the damage that was black but not even close to a color that matched. I emailed them...they were apologetic, said send it back, a month later I got it back.

This time....most of the issues were addressed except the out of round thong hole. No biggie really. Finish on the clip was good, action was really smooth......in fact too smooth. Easy to be smooth with no detent ball installed!!!

I emailed them...they said no way....I sent a pic, they said send it back. I did. They emailed me and asked if I was messing with them. I informed them that I really didn't have time to mess with them and that they needed to talk to their "quality" control guys. A month later I got it back again. Detent and glide balls installed everything looked good. Open, closed, played with it a couple of days and then the blade starts striking the frame when closing. I emailed them....they said we're so sorry we'll get back with you and that has been about a month ago.....I've emailed once a week to see if they plan to help and have heard nothing.

So $440 plus around $30 to ship back twice and 4 months later all I have to show is a worthless piece of crap that I wouldn't even give away.

At any price this would be unacceptable but at $400+ it's just plain criminal.

So.....in closing.....you have a company the preaches about the high precision machining and hand made like quality of their products which are priced like they should be great but it is just not so. Any company can produce a lemon. The difference between great companies and companies that should not get any of your money is how they handle the situation.

I need to do a pass around and let about 20 people post their thoughts on this train wreck but really I just want to warn potential buyers.

Hopefully I can save someone else the pain.

And please.....no posts about how I should have bought it directly from them.....geez...they've had the thing in their hands more than I have and it's still crap. Why would I expect anything they sell directly to be any better.

PS.....wasn't really going to gripe about this but while I'm at it....the edge sucks too.

The only thing I can say is that as a customer myself I can relate. The HTM forum knife did not live up to the expectations after all the issues, delays, and problems.

Same issues here with an AXD 5.5. Such a POS I'd get booted off the forum if I sold it here. And that's after factory service. :mad:

....and the edge sucks too.

I suggest that anyone that wants to buy an HTM knife, go to their forum on this site and read the thread about the forum knife. In my opinion they are overpriced, have terrible Q.C. and have been very misleading/ shady to deal with. I have no idea how they are still in business.

Yeah I saw the whole forum knife thing....unfortunately not until I had already made the mistake of buying this thing.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Same issues here with an AXD 5.5. Such a POS I'd get booted off the forum if I sold it here. And that's after factory service. :mad:

....and the edge sucks too.
See, this is good to know. I was going to start searching for an AXD. I like the design and tanto blades are always useful to me. This is truly disappointing to read.

Can someone direct me to the forum knife thread? I made the mistake of buying a MADD MAXX 5.5 as well and it had many of the same problems and a host of others as well.

This does not make happy reading. I have an early Madd Maxx 5.5 dagger. This knife is as close to perfect as possible. I know the HTMs aren't customs, but the knowledge of how to do it right should still be there. What happened?

Can someone direct me to the forum knife thread? I made the mistake of buying a MADD MAXX 5.5 as well and it had many of the same problems and a host of others as well.
Look in the HTM subforum here and search for "HTM Forum Knife".
This does not make happy reading. I have an early Madd Maxx 5.5 dagger. This knife is as close to perfect as possible. I know the HTMs aren't customs, but the knowledge of how to do it right should still be there. What happened?
Apparently, there were several QC issues for a while (bad grinds, dull knives, warranty/service delays, poor fit and finish). The staff was replaced, and then communication stopped for a few months while the shop was relocating to Texas I believe. Delays, excuses, another knife with the same steel came out (for less money than the forum knife) just a different color, more delays, poor fit and finish continued, most sold their forum knives for a huge loss, others just hung onto them rather than eat a $350 loss. Very disheartening experience for me, i'd say the knife I got is actually worth about $100 and not the actual price I paid, add to that an almost 6 month delay. :thumbdn:

Wow. I was looking at the gunhammers then saw this post. PHEWW you just saved me lots of dollars. Hope you get your knife fixed...

Thanks, all, for this thread. Reading this and the forum knife thread was very telling. I had been looking at an HTM from Plaza Cutlery (great folks!) but now, I think I'll spend my money on a different brand...

Good to know and I am sadden by the lack of integrity with an "American" company. Seriously poor business practices.

They don't seem very concerned about this do they? You would think they'd be addressing these issues in this thread?

Wow just skimmed through that whole thread and read all of this...
What a train wreck.

You should send the knife back to them one more time and demand that they refund you what you payed for the knife. I know you didn't buy it from them directly but they should at least make it right by just giving you your money back after everything they made you go through.

If that doesn't work out then send it back and demand that they send you a brand new knife that has been hand picked and thoroughly inspected with a fine tooth comb for any faults by the owner or one of the staff members of HTM.

Give them one last chance to make it right and if they refuse either of those two options, then screw them!!!

Back