Hunt/Camp/Food Prep/Bushcraft Knife - Bushfinger, Recluse, or Hunter?

Bushfinger, Recluse, Hunter, or ???

I pulled the trigger on a Bushfinger (waiting anxiously for it to arrive) but have been debating which will work best for me in regards to deer hunting, camping, fire and food prep, and a little bushcraft. Can anyone provide insight and/or in hand pics and comparisons of each of these blades? I've done a bunch of searching (forums/google/etc) and have found quite a few different posts and such but figured I'd give everyone a chance to picture whore their blades in this thread and perhaps give some updated advice, since quite a bit of the stuff I found dates back a number of years already (can't believe I'm just getting a FF now)

I know the real answer is "get them all" (haha) but I feel like I want one blade to fit this task list and I'll get a bigger, smaller, and some differing geometry blade types to fit other tasks in the future. After going through a number of Bark Rivers, I'm currently using a BHK Woodsman Pro but there are a few little things I don't like about it, like the contour-less broomstick handle, the heft, and it seems just a bit short for my multipurpose requirements.

Anyone process any game with any/all of these models? I do hang and process my own whitetails in the fall, but I do it at home so I wouldn't necessarily need this knife to do that task in its entirety, but it sure would make it all the better if the one blade could "do it all" as it were. I also plan on elk hunting.
How about in the kitchen? Which model would be best for chopping/slicing meat and veggies? I generally use a chef knife, so I think this blade will be used mostly in the out-of-doors scenario of food prep.
Camp tasks would include batoning through anything found in the Wisconsin woods, creating tinder and feathersticks, tent pegs, shelter framing (hunting blinds and such), fire-pit framing (pot holders,etc), and the occasional spoon or craft type object.

After my initial searching I feel like the Bushfinger will be just the ticket, but I want to make 100% sure - you guys know how that goes. [prepares wallet for eternal emptiness]

I think theyd all perform well in the tasks you describe but I do think the bushfinger would be slightly better for kitchen duties with a wider blade. The recluse is my personal favorite out of the three.
Hope this helps
Knut

I agree with knutelut. The Bushfinger to me is just the all around best knife for the task you are looking to accomplish but honestly all three will do the trick!

+1 for the recluse; phenomenal design with a bit more belly for good prep and game processing

In my opinion:

The Hunter in 3/16" is the best overall woods knife.

The Recluse is the best game processing/skinning knife.

The Bushfinger in 1/8" is the best kitchen knife. Most Bushfingers are guardless which makes chopping things in the kitchen much easier.

Well, I got my bushfinger today and I gotta say I'm not all that impressed. :-( (edit: with the ergo's - the knife is stunning)

The handle has so many "hard" edges and it's so slim that I get a hot spot pretty much from just holding it. Does the handle on the Recluse and Hunter have a smoother, fuller, more rounded feel? (I have big meaty mitts but wear a medium glove). Can anyone put a couple pics up of a Bushfinger in hand with a comparison pic of a Recluse and/or Hunter in hand? Thanks.

Fiddlebacks are not very consistent.
I have 2 recluses
2 aretes
2 buscrafters
2 lekus
3 bushfingers
3 hunters
They all vary. Models with Tapered tangs tend to be thinner.
My thickest handle is on one of my Aretes and the thinest on the other arete, both have full tangs.

Of those 3 I think the Bushfinger is the best option. Definitely best for food preparation.

The edge on the butt of the handle is very sharp no matter where my hand touches it on the Bushfinger.
Are the Recluse or Hunter models similar or are thy more rounded? Or is it just a crap shoot with each knife? Does Andy take orders for thicker handles or make does he put out thicker handled versions of these knives ever in the Fiddlback Friday threads?

Andy takes no orders.
My hunters are as sharp as my bushfingers.
my recluses and aretes are softer.

Sounds like I own your ideal Bushfinger. Thicker handle and the sides of the butt end are also more rounded than most of the other Bushfingers I've seen. LOVE that knife.

The edge on the butt of the handle is very sharp no matter where my hand touches it on the Bushfinger.
Are the Recluse or Hunter models similar or are thy more rounded? Or is it just a crap shoot with each knife? Does Andy take orders for thicker handles or make does he put out thicker handled versions of these knives ever in the Fiddlback Friday threads?

I missed the above.

Andy had a satisfaction guarantee. If you purchased the knife new from him or a dealer, please get in touch with him. I'm sure he could help.....

I'm curious
what does a "big meaty mitt" look like in a medium glove?

I missed the above.

Andy had a satisfaction guarantee. If you purchased the knife new from him or a dealer, please get in touch with him. I'm sure he could help.....
Nah, got it from the flea market. Looks like I'm going to give the Recluse a try.

I'm curious
what does a "big meaty mitt" look like in a medium glove?

A medium golf glove anyway. :p

Meaty1.jpeg

Meaty2.jpeg

Meaty3.jpeg

Meaty4.jpeg

Meaty5.jpeg

That bottom pic shows where the point of the hard edge on the butt of the handle digs into the hypothenar part of my palm.

Fiddlebacks handles tend to fall into a couple of generic families.

There are those with square butts and those with rounded butts.

In the size range you're interested in:

Patch, Recluse, Kephart, Bushfinger, Hunter, Bear Paw, Woodsman, Duke, Camp all have squared butts.

Hiking Buddy (and its derivatives like Bushraptor), Arete, Bushcrafter (and its family), KE Bushie have rounded butts.

If the square butt doesn't work for you, look for a model from the other family.

You can see a bunch of these models in my comparison thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1232795-Comparison-Photos-Round-Two

Regarding thicker handles, keep an eye out on the Flea Market and for knives on Fiddleback Friday that are described as being thick.

Cootshooter,

Thurin's advice is is always very sound. The knife that I would recommend to you given your hand size is the Camp Nessie. Thurin has large hands like yours and the Camp Nessie is his favorite knife for the tasks you mentioned. Trestle has one for sale in the Flea Market right now at a bargain price. There are also a couple available at The-Knife-Connection.

Here is another thread about the various models that you may find useful.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...p-Weights?highlight=Models,+Tang+Types,+Steel

Good luck with your search for the perfect Fiddleback for you.

Phil

Back