• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hunter/Skinner in Amboyna Burl

Here is my first time using just plain C1095 high carbon steel in a fixed blade knife. This knife has the same profile as my Bama Special and Grandpa's Hunter (patterned after the Schrade Sharpfinger). The cutting edge on these blades typically Rockwell out to 59 to 60 HRC.

The blade is differentially heat treated and has a "two tone" hand rubbed finish and a small false edge. The handle is Amboyna Burl with brass pins. A very nice every day carry knife.

Overall Length........8 inches
Blade Length..........4 inches
Blade Material.........C1095
Blade HRC..............60
Handle Material.......Amboyna Burl

Selling Price: GONE (Insured shipping to CONUS included)

I am currently taking orders on this model and everything listed under the "Example Knives" section of my website.

hunter1_col.jpg

I’ve been looking for something different that is sort of exotic like that. Unfortunately, I’m looking to copy some of the design…I have no scruples. Very nice blade.

WTF does that mean? Call me slow, but I am lost on that one.

I think what he's trying to say is that he's gonna use some of the design features of your knife on one he's gonna make. :D

Very cool looking knife, BTW.

Granted I did nothing really original here, but at least i modified the Sharpfinger profile. I came up with this profile on 11/03/2002 and have had a few makers email me asking if they could copy it. I said no problem. His post just struck me the wrong way, call me sensative I guess. :confused: And I appologize if I was out of line.

Heck, I can send him the .dwg CAD file if he wants it, that way he can have an exact copy.... :rolleyes: :D

I don't know what he means, but I really like the knife, it's a beautiful tribute to the Sharpfinger. :cool:

Laredo7mm said:
I came up with this profile on 11/03/2002 and have had a few makers email me asking if they could copy it. I said no problem. His post just struck me the wrong way, call me sensative I guess. :confused: And I appologize if I was out of line.

Heck, I can send him the .dwg CAD file if he wants it, that way he can have an exact copy.... :rolleyes: :D

I think he likes it Sean
not to step on your thread,, I call that a hung blade.

I've been doing them for at least 7-8 years.
http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/gray103w.JPG
this one I made in 98
http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/gray103ns2.jpg
so like you say that type of edge has been around for who knows when.
nice looking Knife Sean again I think he likes it that all.

BTW that is a kick a$$ price should go well..

Thanks all for the replies, I was in a pissy mood last night anyway, and it just hit me the wrong way.

No offense taken on my end, and I hope he does not take offense to my reply. I think you can see simularities in every knife that anybody makes with another one out there.

I hope these sell well. That is part of the reson for me making a non-damascus blade. Besides of the nice clean look, I can sell them for about half as much as a damascus blade.

I am working on the design of another non damascus blade made out of 15N20. So we will see how that one turns out.

Thanks again guys for the compliments and discussion, I appreciate it.

I think it'll be a good seller for you because of it's very appealling Persian looking blade. Pair that with an attractive looking handle material and there's a knife that's hard to resist buying. ;) :)

Jeeze! It was a compliment… I happened to like it a lot. I’m not a full time knife maker; just a hobby maker and I just meant I was going to make one similar because I liked it.
I’ll make sure that in the future I won’t comment on any of your knives. Have a nice day.
Edit:
Btw, (in regards to the posts in the knife makers section) the rehash and accusations made by you and some of the other professional makers in the closed Knife Makers Forum was totally off the wall. I am not a thief. I promise not to ever make anything remotely similar simply because this experience leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. To think some guy is going to steal your exclusive design and make a ton of money off it is beyond me. And, I don’t make knives for friends, family and myself because I’m too poor to buy them, as someone said on the other forum. I do it because I enjoy it and make a very good living elsewhere.

Piney-

I am not going to get into an argument with you for many reasons:

1) I admitted that I was wrong and took the post the wrong way because I was already in a bad mood. Obviously you did take offense, but I am not going to appologize again for it.

2) You can't even argue a point. Re-read the last two sentences in your last post; "And, I don’t make knives for friends, family and myself because I’m too poor to buy them, as someone said on the other forum. I do it because I enjoy it and make a very good living elsewhere."

a) ...I don't make knives...
b) I do it because I enjoy it....
c) ...I'm too poor to buy them...
d) ...and make a very good living elsewhere.

3) From the way your posts are worded they can be interpreted may different ways, as is evident from the "Around the Grinder" discussion. Try to be concise, in order to avoid this situation in the future.

I could go on, and interpret each post in the "Around The Grinder" forum and disprove the so called "accusations" you said have been made, but why bother? There are probably more posts saying I was wrong than you.

You have chosen to take offense and get angry about it. I decided to get further input from others and make an educated decision about the intent of your post.

With that, I have probably already said too much and this post is getting off topic. If you wish to continue the discussion, please feel free to email me or IM me.

Thanks to everybody for your compliments and input and I appologize for the tangent.

Laredo7mm said:
Piney-

2) You can't even argue a point. Re-read the last two sentences in your last post; "And, I don’t make knives for friends, family and myself because I’m too poor to buy them, as someone said on the other forum. I do it because I enjoy it and make a very good living elsewhere."

d) ...and make a very good living elsewhere.
Let me try and explain at a level my 5-year-old granddaughter would understand:

1. I make knives for family, friends and myself.
2. I make knives because I enjoy making knives.
3. I’m far from poor.
4. I own a business, unrelated to knives, that provides me with a very good living.
5. Your knife is of no importance to me and I hope the two of you are very happy together.

Piney said:
Let me try and explain at a level

my 5-year-old granddaughter would understand:

1. I make knives for family, friends and myself.
2. I make knives because I enjoy making knives.
3. I’m far from poor.
4. I own a business, unrelated to knives, that provides me with a very good living.
5. Your knife is of no importance to me and I hope the two of you are very happy together.
Piney said:
d) ...and make a very good living elsewhere..
my 5-year-old granddaughter would understand: ouch :rolleyes:
which one does she understand?
you said both..I see the problem with this post..don't you.. you can be nasty and go away or a man about it and stay and enjoy..that is up to you.. :(
Piney said:
To think some guy is going to steal your exclusive design and make a ton of money off it is beyond me..

when you get around more you will understand this does happen and all to often sad to say ,, and it does ruffle some feathers..I think you may have meant well but put it in type very badly... if you stay around the block for a while you'll know about how it works..it's the same way anywhere you need to be known for your personality and how you come across,,, in type things can get out of hand real fast with-out seeing that big old :D

Sorry Dan, but I don't like people insinuating things when it was a simple accolade in regards to the knife. I guess paranoia runs rampant everywhere. My original response was one of flattery, too bad it wasn’t taken that way, or I didn’t present it properly. This has happened before, recently when one of my regional directors in the southeast went nuts over one of my emails and quit. This isn’t really as important. The funny thing is that I own and collect knives from other makers. I was ordering from his website when I saw the post. :D

well you saw what the problem was and how it was received by more than one..
it is a touchy subject and blowing it out if shape just don't make for any good with anyone..have fun here,, kiss and make up.

you'll find Kit will step in and fix the whole
thing in his gracious way
shooting-smiley.gif
if it goes on :eek: :)
I will bow out...

Can't we all just get along??????????? :D

Sorry I had to. Call it a character flaw. Kind of like my bad spelling! :eek:

Nice knife by the way.....to bad I am broke!!

Edited, due to advice from Dan Gray. :D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

"I write this as someone who has stepped on his dick so many times on the Forums, that it is now flat."

I hope you're not wearing boots this time.

Tell me, and I will move the above post.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back