Huntin with your Traditional Knives

Late season black bear hunting in Northern California. We haven't had any weather in about a month. But decently cold nights. I went out this morning but didn't see anything.

My carry-
wda30V3.jpg

I did see a nice Blacktail buck though!!! He looked relatively young, and had a nice kicker coming off the back of his right side. Cool looking rack.
m1wiZcU.png

After hunt breakfast two backstrap steaks and some eggs I just collected from my hens.
P0D1bSf.jpg

Best of luck in your pursuit of black bear! We got one a few years ago and it tasted better than beef in a lot of ways!

That knife is something special too and the character you are quickly adding to the blade is awesome to see.

johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes Thanks! We have 500 more bears for quota or til December 31st. Have been taking my .308. I Just bought a new marlin 30-30 I hope to take when I pick it up on the 19th. (Stupid California wait times on firearm purchases) how is your 73 for skinning jobs?

johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes Thanks! We have 500 more bears for quota or til December 31st. Have been taking my .308. I Just bought a new marlin 30-30 I hope to take when I pick it up on the 19th. (Stupid California wait times on firearm purchases) how is your 73 for skinning jobs?

I find the drop point to be excellent for skinning duties. It’s not too much blade that you get ahead of yourself either. You can pick spots to use on the blade instead of sliding the knife the entire length in between the hide and the muscle and ripping up like I’ve seen some do. I tend to insert 3/4 of the blade and slide it towards the rear hoof allowing the blade to split the hide without sending hair everywhere. The belly towards the tip of the blade takes a great edge and that slight angle comes in handy.

I find the drop point to be excellent for skinning duties. It’s not too much blade that you get ahead of yourself either. You can pick spots to use on the blade instead of sliding the knife the entire length in between the hide and the muscle and ripping up like I’ve seen some do. I tend to insert 3/4 of the blade and slide it towards the rear hoof allowing the blade to split the hide without sending hair everywhere. The belly towards the tip of the blade takes a great edge and that slight angle comes in handy.

Awesome, you are the main reason why I was after 72s and 73s for my hunting carry. I haven't looked back. My 72 did a decent job gutting. But I switched to my outdoor edge removable blade to finish up skinning duties.

Awesome, you are the main reason why I was after 72s and 73s for my hunting carry. I haven't looked back. My 72 did a decent job gutting. But I switched to my outdoor edge removable blade to finish up skinning duties.

Well thank you for saying so.
To be honest there are some better designs out there and a fixed blade might be the best choice, but using your pocket knife for real chores, not like opening envelopes is a rewarding prospect.

I support using the right tool for the right job, but the native people of this land got by with a sharp rock, I think some 1095 in a drop point package is quite enough.

I’ve quartered a bunch of deer with my #73 and my dad has used his #72 on one, no complaints at all.

NzyiiyNh.jpg

Another one bites the dust! It was a longer shot, around sixty yards, but I had a solid tree rest and dropped a CCI Subsonic right behind the front legs in the "boiler room". The rifle is my Kimber Hunter 22, the knife is a modified Lone Wolf Loveless; I removed the semi-skinner hump on the blade back and mirror polished it.

I like that idea P Phil in Alabama . It pretty much turns the semi skinner into the Loveless field & stream profile. Nice and handy in the small game woods. I love the rifle as well.

Thanks to reading several posts made by knowledgeable members here in the traditional sub-forum, and in the Buck sub-forum, this morning I chose and joined a new photo-hosting website (PostImage.org). I haven't been able to load a new image on my old site (Hunt101) since 11/11/17. I have some catching up to do. I cleaned these ducks I shot on 12/18/17 with my Buck 102. OH

Cleaning_ducks_12-18-17.jpg

Buck_102_12-18-17.jpg

Ha! You got me on that - a gift from my wife; a Fitbit with a heart rate monitor, step counter, stair counter, etc. She is trying to keep me healthy into our "golden years"! OH

Back