Huntin with your Traditional Knives

Went hunting one day last week, didn't see a single deer. Some days are like that. Hunted this season with my old Winchester 308WIN, carried an Uncle Henry 127UH with me on this trip. OH
Winchester-M88-308-WIN-3.jpg

Schrade-Uncle-Henry-127-UH-1.jpg

Love a good old wood stocked, blued rifle as I’m not a huge fan of synthetics. That Montana rifle sling looks right at home on it too.

Went hunting one day last week, didn't see a single deer. Some days are like that. Hunted this season with my old Winchester 308WIN, carried an Uncle Henry 127UH with me on this trip. OH
Winchester-M88-308-WIN-3.jpg

Schrade-Uncle-Henry-127-UH-1.jpg
Beautiful rifle and Scrade. Inherited an 88 in .308 as well and yet to make it to the range.

Thanks guys, I really like that old rifle. It is amazingly accurate for a levergun with one handload (165 grain Interlock). It won’t shoot a 150 grain factory anything for beans! I confirmed the zero on it a few weeks ago - 5/8” at 100 yards. OH
Ps took a picture of my target.
M88-group-handload.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad & Mom's neighbor asked me if I could get him some Christmas Venison, so I went out on Tuesday and harvested this 123 lbs doe - biggest doe I have seen in my area in quite a while - lot of meat on this one. I shot it with my M88, neck shot at 128 yards (instant death) - the Hornady 165 grain bullet went into the neck, traveled about 5 inches in the spine, blowing out vertebrae, and then slipped under the backstrap for about half its length, and then popped through and balled up under the hide (guessing about 1/3 to 1/2 its original weight). That's my Buck 110 in the picture. OH
5-F46-CC82-EDFC-4-B61-8086-0874523748-D6.jpg

Buck-110-1988.jpg

OSHC-12-18-18-bullet-in-deer.jpg

OSHC-12-18-18-bullet-recoverd.jpg

I've always liked lever guns. Here's a group I shot with a Marlin 444S in of course .444 Marlin. The sights were open leaf rear and hooded front post. The red group was Hornaday 265gr Light Magnum and the blue group was Remington Express 240gr FP. I sighted the rifle high to be dead center at about 175 yards.

0Q4OYqN.jpg

The rifle.

lso64hk.jpg

That was shot without glasses; however, now a days with glasses I'm not as precise but good enough to put a round in a six-inch pie pate at the same distance.

My Rigid skinner I sometimes carried in those days.

gkW1Ck3.jpg

Went duck hunting with my son and a buddy yesterday to greet the New Year. After being blown out of a deer hunt last week by a cold rainstorm, I was greeted with scattered clouds and 60° !! The ducks were sunning somewhere else. I may head out tomorrow for the last few days of deer season. in the blind yesterday - my Case 048 slim-line trapper and a Daniel Cannady small game knife:

SXutEpI.jpg

Fs64ZRn.jpg

- Stuart

Went duck hunting with my son and a buddy yesterday to greet the New Year. After being blown out of a deer hunt last week by a cold rainstorm, I was greeted with scattered clouds and 60° !! The ducks were sunning somewhere else. I may head out tomorrow for the last few days of deer season. in the blind yesterday - my Case 048 slim-line trapper and a Daniel Cannady small game knife:

SXutEpI.jpg

Fs64ZRn.jpg

- Stuart
Love that Cannady! Have been keeping an eye peeled hoping to find someone willing to part with one since ordering or buying a new one is no longer an option. Would be a great addition to my B&T collection.

Headed out last Wednesday night for our annual "Order of the Hog" hunt which is hosted by my brother in law. He is on the board of the Christian Outdoor Alliance based in Texas. Great organization with a great leadership team. We had good success this year on a ranch located about 20 miles north of Laredo. Regardless of what of how many we kill the majority of the fun is in the comradery.

Arrived at the ranch Thursday. First hunt that afternoon I'm sitting in my blind enjoying the warm weather (got up to 93 Friday) and admiring this Case Tested hunter while passing time waiting on a hog or javelina to step out.
pBTUOZr.jpg

Here's a scenery shot, no sizable trees around, just slow rolling hills with lots of mesquite and cactus. You can see the feeder 150 yards on the right.

1qo8RLJ.jpg

At 6:50 PM this old solitary boar stepped into the road. Neck shot at 125 yards and he never took another step. I'm shooting a Remington in 300 blackout caliber. I really like this caliber, it exceeded my expectations on every kill. Very accurate and light recoil. If you use high quality supersonic hunting ammo (subsonic drops too fast for my uses) and as with any caliber have good shot placement it will drop em at 200 yards or less.

f5QlVWs.jpg

Back at camp. I'm 6'5" so he's a fairly good size hog.

6e7BeKT.jpg

Friday I didn't see any hogs or javelina on either the morning or afternoon hunt but lots of Whitetail deer were hanging out eating our corn and taunting me while knowing I wasn't permitted to shoot them. I had the pleasure of watching a big 10 point buck come out right at dark, his rack was wide and tall, heck of a trophy buck!

Saturday morning was uneventful until 9 AM, a javelina boar steps out at 75 yards, another neck shot with an immediate drop. 20 mins later another one comes out at well over 300 yards so being they have poor eyesight and the wind was in my favor I ease out of my blind and walk down to the feeder. I'm at 210 yards now. Take a standing shot using the feeder leg as a rest here he lays.

7RUEi5n.jpg

Back at camp with the pair.

2i2nGcS.jpg

Headed out last Wednesday night for our annual "Order of the Hog" hunt which is hosted by my brother in law. He is on the board of the Christian Outdoor Alliance based in Texas. Great organization with a great leadership team. We had good success this year on a ranch located about 20 miles north of Laredo. Regardless of what of how many we kill the majority of the fun is in the comradery.

Arrived at the ranch Thursday. First hunt that afternoon I'm sitting in my blind enjoying the warm weather (got up to 93 Friday) and admiring this Case Tested hunter while passing time waiting on a hog or javelina to step out.
pBTUOZr.jpg

Here's a scenery shot, no sizable trees around, just slow rolling hills with lots of mesquite and cactus. You can see the feeder 150 yards on the right.

1qo8RLJ.jpg

At 6:50 PM this old solitary boar stepped into the road. Neck shot at 125 yards and he never took another step. I'm shooting a Remington in 300 blackout caliber. I really like this caliber, it exceeded my expectations on every kill. Very accurate and light recoil. If you use high quality supersonic hunting ammo (subsonic drops too fast for my uses) and as with any caliber have good shot placement it will drop em at 200 yards or less.

f5QlVWs.jpg

6e7BeKT.jpg

Friday I didn't see any hogs or javelina on either the morning or afternoon hunt but lots of Whitetail deer were hanging out eating our corn and taunting me while knowing I wasn't permitted to shoot them. I had the pleasure of watching a big 10 point buck come out right at dark, his rack was wide and tall, heck of a trophy buck!

Saturday morning was uneventful until 9 AM, a javelina boar steps out at 75 yards, another neck shot with an immediate drop. 20 mins later another one comes out at well over 300 yards so being they have poor eyesight and the wind was in my favor I ease out of my blind and walk down to the feeder. I'm at 210 yards now. Take a standing shot using the feeder leg as a rest here he lays.

7RUEi5n.jpg

2i2nGcS.jpg
Awesome!

:thumbsup:
Got young tender hog first 30minutes at the lease.... pulled out the Bear and Sons rendition of a sharp finger and the Steingass..... Steingass cleaned the whole hog, love this knife.

View attachment 1078790

pBTUOZr.jpg

1qo8RLJ.jpg

f5QlVWs.jpg

6e7BeKT.jpg

7RUEi5n.jpg

2i2nGcS.jpg

I know they are a nuisance to a lot of places but I am a bit jealous of you guys that live in an area where there are hogs to hunt. Just gives a person another species to pursue.:thumbsup:

Thanks Taylor:thumbsup:

I need to get out and hunt them more often. Open season year round in these parts :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I know they are a nuisance to a lot of places but I am a bit jealous of you guys that live in an area where there are hogs to hunt. Just gives a person another species to pursue.:thumbsup:

If you get a chance go for it:thumbsup:

I want to go hog hunting, but Ive never had the chance to go. It seems fun!

"I am a bit jealous of you guys that live in an area where there are hogs to hunt."
I am too, but as I understand it, it might not be all that long before they make it (say) close to the Canadian line. They are a scourge.

Man, this thread disappears and then I forget all about it. Late post on my spring turkey hunt from back in mid-April. Only got out one morning this season and called a gobbler to me pretty quickly, then moved too early getting my shotgun up and got busted - he took off. I cussed and laughed at myself a minute, cut some brush to give me better concealment, and started calling again - got a second responder to my calls and was more cautious getting my shotgun up. Cleaned him with my Buck 121 (early 80’s thicker blade variation). OH
OSHC-4-15-19-Gobbler.jpg

Back