Huntin with your Traditional Knives

Thx OH. This was my Grandpap's rifle. Sporterized by my Great Grandfather. Inherited by my father and gifted to me a couple Christmases ago. It's an honor.......
The knife belonged to the same great grandfather later in life.
I have her stocked with old era Remington Peters to boot.

That Krag is really cool, never know what some old timers up in the mountains have "in the back room" I remember once my Dad talking to a friend about a nuisance dog that was harassing our cattle. At the time the only rifles my Dad had was some .22's and a model 94 Win 30/30. Dad says "Don what I really need is something than can reach out and knock him down" To which Don got up went into the back room and came back handing Dad a rifle says "Try this old army rifle" The rifle was a 1916 Remington contract Mosin Nagant in nearly pristine condition. Have no idea where ol Don picked that thing up but was not expecting to see one of those.
Edit: this was before the surplus market here was flooded with Mosins, and apparently he'd had it for years

Last edited:
ind3vVl.jpg

bfQUYPm.jpg

Used the JK fixed blade to cut my snack and the Buck to whittle a tooth pick from a willow this morning on my duck hunt. I didn't get to use either for cleaning any duck due to a very slow opener here in NW TN.

I am surprised that this thread isnt more active this time of year. Not that many hunters on here I guess?
I recently used a silver stag skinner and an old hickory butcher knife to fill my freezer up with a deer that my dad killed. My wife sure was glad, since I havent shot a deer yet this year and she loves venison.

I am surprised that this thread isnt more active this time of year.

I’d like to share more but hunting wasn’t very productive this year. I do have the possibility of taking a cow elk on a damage permit for a local farmer. It wouldn’t be much of a hunt but elk meat in the freezer is good meat in the freezer. If that happens I’ve got a couple of knives that need to get some blood on them for the first time. I’ll be sure to get a few photos.

I am surprised that this thread isnt more active this time of year. Not that many hunters on here I guess?

For me, it's just that I haven't been carrying a traditional knife lately. That's why I didn't post any in stand pictures this year.

I did however break in my new 6.5 Grendel upper out of this stand with a nice sized doe a couple weeks back.

It was also the first blood for the new truck.

I used this knife from David Farmer to field dress her. It's made from an old sawmill blade.

Interestingly enough, I often see people talking about wanting a grippy handle for such tasks. This thing along with my hands were completely coated in blood, which made it so sticky that it was a challenge to reposition the knife in my hand.

Nice picture Cal; I see a Rockchucker, a Powder Measure, and a can of IMR in that photo as well - rolling my own is another hobby of mine too! OH

Reflection is good; I was straightening out the game freezer and found a package of venison burger from 2016. Decided to honor that deer with the last venison chili from it's bounty - thaw it out, brown it, mix some vegetables into the crockpot, and six hours later eat it up! Got enough for two more meals. OH
IMG-2042.jpg

IMG-2043.jpg

IMG-2044.jpg

IMG-2047.jpg

Back