Hunting Knife

Since it's getting to be that time of year I'm looking for some suggestions for a new hunting knife. Fixed Blade under one-hundred dollars. Leaning towards a hunting/utilty type.
P.S. I've been lurking for a while and I must say that this one of the best groups I have come upon. I have learned a great deal but realize that I'm only getting started.

[This message has been edited by runby (edited 27 August 1999).]

Deleted, I'll try again

[This message has been edited by P.J. (edited 27 August 1999).]

Ka-Bar Next Generation, or the SRK by Cold Steel are 2 I like. could get the Cold steel SRK and the Buskmaster for under $100, go for that...

cold steel master hunter is a very good hunting knife and can be had for about $40.00
everyone i hunt with has one.
I just bought a Dozier pro guide knife and i will be carrying it this year.
leaving tomrrow for elk hunting.

Do you mean a hunting knife, like you'd want for pig sticking, or a skinning knife for cleaning game?

I'll second whoever mentioned the Buck Vanguard. For me this is an ideal size and shape for deer-sized chores. Of course someone with more knowledge will be able to say how it stacks up against the high-end stuff in terms of holding an edge. I have no idea.

------------------
I don't want my children fed or clothed by the state, but I would prefer THAT to their being educated by the state.

Whoever mentioned the Ka-Bar Next Generation must hunt BIG animals. I have no idea what I would do with a blade that big around a deer. How about the rest of you? Does anybody routinely use a Ka-Bar sized knife as their main deer hunting blade?

------------------
I don't want my children fed or clothed by the state, but I would prefer THAT to their being educated by the state.

Look at the Buck Vanguard with the super-hard buckcote coating. Great design and works really well. The ZrN coating is much harder than steel, attractive, and slick finished.

Runby,
Snick has a good point pertaining to intended use of the knife.

Skinning: Master Hunter from Cold Steel, F1 by Fallkniven, any of the smaller Marble's.

Pigstickers: Don't Know. I stay away from potentially temperamental and/or predatory wild animals that have bigger teeth than mine. I prefer to observe them rather than dispatch them with a knife. I admire folks who are brave and/or insane enough to take on this endeavor though! Sounds like a real adrenaline rush!

------------------
If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid.

[This message has been edited by misque (edited 28 August 1999).]

The full size Kabar is kind of big for most people to use a deer hunting knife, but a lot of people seem to like having a larger 'camp knife' so it could do that role well. The short USMC, a bit more than a 5in blade, would do better as a hunting knife and can be found for close to $30. The Kabar Warthog is ugly but is evidently kind of a copy of a Randall skinner, almost a 5 1/2 inch blade, and can be had for around $50. Anza makes some nice knives from annealed files, and a number of models are available in the $30 to $60 range. I think that the AG Russell Deer Hunter can be had for less than $100, it has a nice thin blade, but if you like thick the Cold Steel hunter is available and is a good buy. With a bit of a stretch you could get a Dozier, or you could get two or three of the others; a carbon steel Kabar as a camp knife, the Cold steel as a hunting knife, and a small Anza as a caping/paring knife.

I don't hunt deer because Florida deer are pretty small, and somehow just not that inticing to me.

However I use my Project 1 for killing everything I hunt(boar, shark(after hooked), aligator(after jugged)), as well as cleaning everything from catfish to 1,500lbs saurians.

I like it better than a multiple-piece knife because harmful bacteria can't take up residence in the spaces between hilt and handle scale. I eat with my Project 1 too.

Small knives work for some things, but I havea hard time understanding people who see no value in big knives. I'll take a big knife over a small knife in most any situation, irreagardless of conventional wisdom.

P.S. a Project is a little short for pig sticking, though the handle is great for that purpose. Stick to little pigs, 200lbs. or less if you're gonna use it. You'll want some practice first too. I reccomend the "greased up pig in a pen wrastlin' match" that they have at just about every fair. Around here anyway. You might win a couple bucks or kiss on the cheek from a pretty girl too, which beats the heck out of getting gored by a boar's tusk.
wink.gif

Livesay Little Pecker $33
Livesay Bow Hunting Buddy $45
CRKT Partner approx $35
Spyderco Moran $60
Grohmann something --- http://www.grohmannknives.com/
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works something
Cold Steel Specail Forces Shovel
Barteaax Machete
AG Russell Deer Hunter, Bird and Trout
SOG Seal Pup

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

Thanks for everyones input. I have a Buck 120 that I have had since 1976 so I can rule out the Ka-Bar NG. The Buck Vanguard and Fallkniven (SP) F1 look to be more of what I am looking for. Though I have been wanting to purchase a SRK. Would I be redundant by getting the SRK and one of the other mentioned knives?

[This message has been edited by runby (edited 28 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by runby (edited 28 August 1999).]

"Would I be redundant by getting the SRK and one of the other mentioned knives?"

Isn't "redundant" a knife lover's reason for living?
smile.gif

------------------

The all around best hunter for around a hundred bucks?

It's the Benchmade Nimravus Model 140bt baby! And it comes in a cool Kydex sheath, too.

------------------
I need a bigger bucket.

On big vs small .... a medium knife to me is something like 4 inches and a big knife starts at about 10 inches, but that's just my opinion obviously. I find that it's easier to do many things with a medium to small knife, a simple test of utility is maybe being able to easily peel and core an apple while holding it, and when I want a 'big' knife I often want to be able to chop things with it or swing it wildly at beavers, bats and bigfoots. I think that largely because I don't use them often I find that knives in the range of about 6 inches up to say 10 inches are a bit big for a lot of tasks, and yet aren't big enough for what I want a big knife for. Usually I bypass a big knife and go straight to a machete for brush, and a saw, ax or sledge with wedges for handling larger wood. I haven't tried one yet but some have mentioned that a hawk often chops wood pretty well, at least for it's weight and especially for it's price, and that some like a hawk with a 'medium' knife. I recently picked up a couple of khukuri blades that I need to mount handlea on, so I'll try those out. Anyway, I like big knives well enough, it's just that it seems hard to find ones that can handle chopping wood on a regular basis, at least ones that don't cost a bunch.

So far no one has mentioned Outdoor Edge so I guess I need to plug my own brand. For a true skinner-field dressing knife the Whitetail Skinner is one of the best out there for deer and the Game Skinner for elk. If you want the whole shooting match for big game the Kodi-Pak offers you a gut hook skinner, caping knife and bone saw all on one sheath for $79.95 from Cabela's, Bass-Pro Shops and AG Russel Knives. This set offers top quality throughout right down to the leather sheath and an excellent value.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch,
President

Visit our new web site at http://www.outdooredge.com

Back