Hunting mushrooms with DM knives.

Took my David Mary knives shroom hunting and they found a ton. It rained, but no worries as they are LC200n and Magnacut.
What species of mushroom?

Seems like quite a haul from one mushroom, or may be it's a group of mushrooms of the same variety?

These are chicken-of-the-woods. It’s just three large clusters, about 20 pounds worth!
That's impressive. I've seen some large, white puffballs, but they weren't 20 pounds.

Does it taste like chicken?

That's impressive. I've seen some large, white puffballs, but they weren't 20 pounds.

Does it taste like chicken?
That’s what they say. I cooked them up and they didn’t taste great, but that’s likely more due to my lack of cooking skills, lol!

Very nice! Are those edible?
I would say NO. but I'm not sure... Just got a mushroom book last year and quickly learned that there is a giant learning curve... some mushrooms that are perfectly edible and tasty look identical to ones that will kill you painfully in a matter of hours... 😅🤣

They do make very photogenic backgrounds for pics of my knives though😉

I would say NO. but I'm not sure... Just got a mushroom book last year and quickly learned that there is a giant learning curve... some mushrooms that are perfectly edible and tasty look identical to ones that will kill you painfully in a matter of hours... 😅🤣

They do make very photogenic backgrounds for pics of my knives though😉
I'm in a similar boat. While I've done well enough teaching myself to identify and find edible plants and avoid the small number that might be problimatic (in the Rockies at least), mushrooms seem to me to be on a more of an elevated risk spectrum: greater probability of adverse event combined with greater adverse consequences should said event occur.

I've dabbled some with ID'ing mushrooms, but have not tried to consume any of them. Something I would like to find a mentor for, to back up book learning and personal trial and error.

Can anyone recommend a field guide for mushroom identification in the wild?

A publication that could stand getting wet and spiral bound would be great but not deal breaking.

Thanks!

I've come to learn to learn that there are many (offline) apps available.

Can anyone recommend a field guide for mushroom identification in the wild?

A publication that could stand getting wet and spiral bound would be great but not deal breaking.

Thanks!
Peterson's guides are pretty solid. In all honesty I've had guides that aren't spiral bound or laminated survive duckings out of a canoe. If you're super worried an inexpensive dry bag to keep it in would be a good idea.

Peterson's guides are pretty solid. In all honesty I've had guides that aren't spiral bound or laminated survive duckings out of a canoe. If you're super worried an inexpensive dry bag to keep it in would be a good idea.
not really worried. just thinking ahead without any real experience with the hobby is all.

thanks for the reply.

Back