Hurley Creek

I'm as excited about getting this one as any knife ever and I have a real special custom in the works right now so that is saying something. I can see the Hurley Creek as being the one knife that always gets picked up as I head out the door.
Will need a sheath though (not much on slipping fixed blades into my pants pockets - well OK for a coat breast pocket) and I have an idea for a very simple wrap treatment.

These might just be the perfect stocking stuffer - OR - boot knife :D I'm 'cited about getting mine. :cool:

Ray

I like how the handle is rounded off to be comfortable to hold.i have a couple of all metal neck knives, the one with the sharp spine would be good for striking a fero rod, but another one with the rounded off edges is so much more easier in the hands.

Last edited:
I'm as excited about getting this one as any knife ever and I have a real special custom in the works right now so that is saying something. I can see the Hurley Creek as being the one knife that always gets picked up as I head out the door.
Will need a sheath though (not much on slipping fixed blades into my pants pockets - well OK for a coat breast pocket) and I have an idea for a very simple wrap treatment.

These might just be the perfect stocking stuffer - OR - boot knife :D I'm 'cited about getting mine. :cool:

Ray
Hope ya like it Ray.
And I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a wrap.

I kind of look at it as a pocket survival knife, small enough to always have it with you, and stout enough to handle anything.
Zactly.

My JK - Hurley Creek showed up today :thumbsup: :cool: and within an hour I had it wrapped, sharpened, sheathed and on my belt.

Myke and I went for our first walk about :D.

The Hurley Creek is the perfect COMPANION knife. It will play well with all the other kids - be they 8" Bowies, JK/Rule #9s, Spyderco PMs or Buck 110s. I can see no reason not to be carrying Myke every time I go into the woods - regardless of whatever other knife I will be carrying.

You can see I did a quick wrap with nylon tape. Stuff sticks very tenaciously to itself and to the knife, so even though I threw Myke around - tested his capabilities as a thrower with lots of handle splats in the detritus - the wrap still looks pretty decent.

As for it's usefulness as a thrower - I will need some practice. It's pretty light (this is a 3/16" thick version) to be a good sticker, so mostly a soft target thrower, until I get the feel of it. I think it has the potential to be one I can side swipe out of the sheath some day with a hit and stick in most targets. Will be fun.

The small and supple sheath was something I had and kept, hoping it would fit the HC. So it did! The wrap added a bit of needed retention. I have a great combo in these 2. :thumbsup:

Mostly came home with DEATH MUSHROOMS but they were pretty and unlike most of the commons shrooms out on the trails today. I trust my wife to save me from my harvest. So far so good - she hasn't been tempted to fix me a deadly side dish :D.

Thank you John. Thank you Mykel. This HC, aka, Myke has found an appreciative home.
I encourage anyone sitting on the edge about getting a Hurley Creek to get off and order one (or 3) they are excellent knives and a bargain to boot!!

Cheers,

AT ray

Last edited:
Excelente Ray!
I'm glad Myke is to your liking and I love the leftover sheath.

You might add a penetrator tip for enhanced sticking ability when throwing btw.

Nylon tape? Cool, hadn't heard of it before.
I found some silicone tape in my favorite color Orange.

Nylon tape is a lot stickier - especially to itself - than silicone tape. The silicone, however, seems more rugged and is easier to use as wrap - because it doesn't stick to itself so fast. Both do the job very well. I particularly like that you can change it out pretty easily with no damage to the under surface - no tape residue. Thing is, you will have to cut the tape off as there will be no unpeeling it after short use.

AT ray

I loved this knife when I first saw it and like it more and more every time I see pictures.
I will have one this year.
Any new pics?

I loved this knife when I first saw it and like it more and more every time I see pictures.
I will have one this year.
Any new pics?
No new pics here, but I'll take it with me on my next hike and post pics for ya Mack.:thumbsup:

Thank you, sir. It really does look like one of those knives that you really do need to have.

I'll show you mine looking a bit used. It is a true EDC and used for something, or other, nearly every day - can't say that about any other knife even the one(s) I carry as side kick to Myke. ;) Maybe can take photos tomorrow.

At ray

Here you go Mack - a few more to inspire -

2nd or 3rd wrap of nylon tape - makes a great grip.

With sheath
-

Don't hesitate to get one.

Ray

Last edited:
Mine should be here soon. I'm getting a bit anxious.

Wow, I'm really impressed by this one! Real nice design! I'll have to study on this one for awhile! I have two on order right now but, this one will be in my future!

Anxious as in sceeered? Or anxious as in 'cited? 'Cited's good. Sceered, no need. You'll love the wee thing.
On another note - wondering about your makeover :confused:

:D Ray
Can ya help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?

Send me your address and I'll ship you out some smokes :thumbsup:
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

R

Send me your address and I'll ship you out some smokes :thumbsup:
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

R
I'm working on getting some weight off and my blood pressure in control. I need to bust my tail between now and June for my DOT physical. After I do what needs to be done I'll have that smoke.

DsKswgu.jpg

It's even better than I expected.

I received my take on the Hurley Creek from John in the mail this evening, and over the last 1.5 hrs or so, I've become quite smitten. I had John shorten the handle a bit to give the knife a 6" overall length, and it's made from 3/32" S30V.

The knife is invisible. I wore it in my right front pocket of my cargo work pants when I walked the dog and didn't notice it, but the really impressive part is that it's now in my rfp of some fairly thin cotton pajama pants and it's STILL invisible.

True to its purpose in my life, it promptly whisked through an Amazon box and cut some tape on the package inside. I'll snag a few pics tomorrow when I've got some proper light. Thanks, John! I'm happy to report that the Hurley Creek works quite well in a steel 1/3 the thickness of its original design intent!

Back