I almost died today. Safety with old wheel grinders

Sam, glad you're O.K. How the heck are you supposed to use my HT oven with a piece of rock inside your skull?

I don't think it was a bad idea to motorize it. The problem came when you spun it up faster than it normally operates (by probably about an order of magnitude - oops) and I'm guessing you didn't see that coming. Hey - at least you didn't have the pulleys the other way - that would have been exciting...

Sam,

Just before you fired that puppy up, did you take a swig from a beer and say "Hey ya'll, watch this sh*t"?

Glad to hear that you are OK.

What is your next trick?:D

Robert

Glad you are ok, Sam.

Ill bet you are one of only a few to see this sort of thing up close like that.

There is one of those setting on a neighbors lawn. Been wondering about it. I am not anymore. Glad you got away with out any body damage. Bet you think things through a little better next time you get the urge to experiment.

This sort of thing can happen with small grinders also. 4 1/2" spins at 10,000 rpm and can grenade. So can 7' and 9" Be careful. If you drop the grinder or wheel inspect it very carefully. Using them to cut with and binding them can cause them to crack also. If you use the face instead of the edge you can thin the wheel into its reinforcing fabric and cause it to explode. A 4 1/2 wheel at 10,000 rpms can be deadly as it slices thru the air. The guards are all fine and good if thats the way the piece flies off and you are behind it.

Hey Sam. PICTURES!

Whoa! and Wow!

Been there, done that; isn't it great to be alive.

Glad your still with us.

Fred

Dont feel bad Sam, just lucky and warned. I am glad the idea did not occur to me, as I would have been just as likely to try it if there was an old grinding wheel sitting next to a motor in my garage. Thanks for manning up, risking humiliation and sharing it, you probably have saved a few lives in the process. I just thank god for the lesson you blessed me with, I was entirely not aware that grinding stones could explode in that way but now I understand the mechanics of it, all I can say is duh on me. Forewarned is forearmed. Thanks man.

I don't know about everybody else but I wanna see pics of the damage!

Glad you're ok, even if I don't know you at all, glad nobody was hurt.

Wow! That's amazing Sam!

Now that everyone is safe and unharmed...let's see pics of the carnage!!

-Rob

Sam,
Thank God you are unharmed!
I'll bet you were pumping enough adrenaline to be able to bench press a Chevy truck!
Take care!

Make sure and use the finest Scotch tape to reassemble the wheel for a second try!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Seriously, do be careful, man. Glad you're in one piece.

I was in a hurry before and wanted to add a few things . First its important that people like yourself come forward no matter how stupid the idea was even after the fact of doing so SHARING the act may be embarrasing but could save a persons life/eye or limb.

Those old wheels are natural stone so they aren't nearly a homogeneous as man made ones. Some are very old and you don't know whay use or abuse they've seen. If you know they've been wet -don't use them !!
One quick and useful test for stones is to suspend them from the hole and strike them piece of metal .If they give a "ring" they are OK, if they go "clunk" trow them out as they are cracked !!

I have one of these in the back yard, just the stone and the axle.
The thought had crossed my mind to power that sucker up.
I think I'll make a knife maker sign out of it.

Leadfoot

Back