I am a pain to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argumentative because I like a lively debate, I now attract constant shit from a group of people.

I couldn't give a shit about his made up "factual" arguments....it's that he's been acting like a dick.

It's the only reason I hassle anybody, really.

I don't particularly want the level of dischord ANY of my posts or threads generate, but I really don't feel like rolling on my back when I get purposely targeted.

I don't think it is cool to "hassle" anybody, but it seems to be cool for some people to do it.

So when I read this:
RevDevil said:
Yet one thread at almost 20 pages is not enough, so we have to beg the question and ask again and again and again. At this point, it's just about trolling. Some folks are going to be surprised when we start cleaning this place up. Don't say no one gave a heads up.
it sounds like it is general warning to people that engage in discord, but I appear to be the only person who is seems to be "of interest" to moderators.

When this cleaning up happens, will those the admit to hassle people on General have anything to be concerned about, or is this as one sided as it appears? It feels so lopsided that really am having a hard time understanding how I am supposed to post in the spirit of the forum when there doesn't appear to be a spirit.

I'm not stupid, you don't need to talk down to me. I'm just sick of this and don't understand why Mods let some people do whatever they want. If this could be explained, I will act accordingly.

Thanks.

Let me explain a little bit about that Mod you quoted . We've talked for awhile online and never met in person ,but I'd say we are friends so to speak. This was before he was ever a mod.

He's a regular guy with a regular job and family , these mods aren't on here 24/7 to catch everything that goes on. So they see some things some they don't but our mods are good people overall.

Same as the other member you quoted in the thread. Talked to him awhile as well. He just speaks his mind. On the flip side of that I can tell you that many many people before you create accounts just to come in here snd start crap. They could care less about the knives etc. They just want to start drama. Some of the older guys on these forums can see how those types post and respond accordingly . There's a way to act around here to be taken seriously and there's ways to act to get people thinking you just want to start drama. I've seen people that were thought to be trolls but turned out to be good members here just because they didn't really know how things work.
Just sit back and learn for awhile ,you'll find your in a good place with good people .

Words on a page can only be taken how the person reading then wants to take them. Regardless of how you meant it .

Last edited:
I appreciate your thoughts. I have been here for 10 years, but have not posted at the level of some of the more recent people.

I read your thread yesterday it was left a little vague (you said you were having problems). Like I said it's all words on a page .

I"m not against lively debate, but there is a track record of you going off topic in your own threads, the result being that the original post reads like it is off topic compared to the rest of the thread. You can either ignore the antagonisms (there is a feature for that), or participate in the mud slinging. After receiving some warnings you would think you would have gotten the hint, maybe contacted me to discuss matters. But the stance you give is that you aren't wrong, and everyone else is. When you are disagreed with, you like to beat dead horses and that is not likely debate, that is beating a dead horse. You said so yourself that you feel the need to explain things multiple times. Had it not occurred to you that you are insulting the intelligence of a lot of people here? I've been here for going on 7 years and read without joining for 2 before that, that makes no difference.

You say you aren't stupid, and you don't need to be talked down to. So then why do you sp proactively participate in the very thing you dislike done to you? A whole lot of people are tired of the trolling. Yes, trolling. You start a thread and it generates controversy rather than intelligent productive discussion, when it reaches critical mass, and it gets closed, you start another so you can pick up where you left off. That is not being mature, intelligent, or engaging in lively debate. It's trying hard to show people how smart you think you are and how ignorant everyone else is. Humility is a good thing, as I've said before. No one is above improving their humility. We have enough know it all smart asses to last a lifetime, adding another one to the list is not beneficial to this forum.

I can assure you I have nothing personal against you. I don't know you from Adam and you might actually be a hell of a cool person. But you make it hard to get there from here. As Spartan said (thanks for the kind words by the way) we don't have time to read every single post. If you are getting harassed report the posts in question and let us handle it. You are not in a position to affect change in behavior, we as moderators are. I don;t want to have anyone harassed when they are discussing a legitimate topic in the discussion forums. I've been called a lot of things, but unfair isn't one of the.

I was under the impression that posts from Whine and Cheese were to remain in Whine and Cheese.

Isn't that a rule?

Rev,

I understand my portion of the problem. I took 10 months off, in part to give myself a mental break, and in part because you had said that "We are making efforts to improve the experience people have here. The overall tone, if you will. It will be a slow and arduous road with many disagreements, warnings, infractions, and possibly bannings. But it takes time, some might not like the changes, others may love them." When I returned, and I posted 9 gear/knife threads, and 6 wear just fine - of all the 34 knife/gear threads I've even posted, 25 involved zero real bickering.

And there is more than one kind of "fighting" going on. The Craytab/Marcinek stuff is not the same as the "arguing for arguing's sake" stuff that annoyed you in the Inclusive the Hard Way thread.
It is nasty and always personal. The Inclusive thread ended amicably for everyone.

So I am able to have create and "host" a nice thread, and the recent Fixed Blade Handle thread devolved without me even being able to post into it. Some of what is happening has little to do with me.

Continued due to server error:
The other side of this coin is the email I received from a moderator a few weeks ago:
"‎Strangely enough, craytab has a signature line including the admonition Ignore the Troll. When I point it out to him, he does apologize. But like any predator, the sight of prey draws him again to the chase.

Bladeforums was designed to be boisterous. If you get drawn into the chase, it will never end.

I'm not in charge of Bladeforums and like other moderators, from time to time, I ‎get tired of its petty repetitions
."

I have attempted to fight the predators directly on their home turf, as it were. I was surprised to find myself moderated out of W&C - something that I didn't know was possible, given what is regularly posted there.

Given what has been said to me in the open and in private, I do not agree that this is an RX-79G problem, but one involving multiple people who will violate the golden rule, know they are doing it, and feel no compulsion to change. This was true a year ago when I left, and nothing changed when I returned. I can post, or just have a thread started, and a few people will now MAKE it ugly.

I don't know what to do with that.

I'm sorry you have had technical troubles, you are not alone. I've noticed them myself and have received several PMs from some angry members, some outraged, and some understanding. I can tell you that no one gets more upset than Spark when the glitches become more common and widespread. It pisses us off too becaue we want people to have fun, we aren't trying to stifle anyone from sharing a topic they have interest in, or have them say only nice things about every company. We want honesty, backed with facts. I will be contacting Spark with these issues as I feel they have increased, maybe it's just my perception. In any case, I will do what I can, we moderators have no access to anything related to the forum software or fixes, we only run the day to day stuff.

As I said, if your threads are getting derailed, use the ignore feature that is why it was enabled. It works remarkably well. If the disruptions are uncalled for, meaning they don't reflect directly on the content you are contributing, Report them. If the disruptions are a direct result of your specific responses and replies, you may consider a different course. That is the best We can do, any of us tasked with running this place. When a thread contains a higher percentage of disruption, insults, jabbing, then there is no salvaging. We can either lock it or move it to Whine and Cheese. What happens in WC needs to stay there, and is not necessarily for public consumption, which is why it is tucked away where it is, rather than being at the top of the list.

I've posted in I think two of your threads. I asked you for evidence or data to back up your claims. I wasn't the only person to do that. You said it was "our job" to defend our position when you hadn't posted a single piece of materials science data. If you're going to make assertions you should be able to defend them even if it's citing personal experience as evidence. You don't get to shift the burden of proof to people asking you for evidence. I think that kind of attitude is a part of the problem.

Hi RX-74G,

I haven't seen too much of your stuff on this site, but as a fellow fan of huge robots, I'll tell you what I think. The "lively debates" you're generating seem to follow the same script:

Your Q: Why do people like cats?

The A: I like cats for X reasons.

You then proceed to break down or "prove" why all of the answers are wrong, and force the folks who spoke into a position of defending their casual opinion or experiences. In the example above, one comes to the conclusion that you don't really want to know why people like cats, but rather just want to tell a bunch of cat people that they're wrong for doing so. It's not illuminating or interesting, it's irritating. Entering the conversation doesn't feel like a spirited debate, but more like an interrogation.

Good luck sir.

I was under the impression that posts from Whine and Cheese were to remain in Whine and Cheese.

Isn't that a rule?

Apparently the mods allow RX to do things the rest of us can't. What's up with that? I think I'll start a thread in Tech Support and complain...

Cool thing about bladeforums is I don't care how much you know , or how much you think you know you can always learn something from somebody.

OP things are going down the wrong road for you right now. You said yourself you had some problems and we all do.

Live Rev said a little humility never hurt anybody . Just try to keep in mind that this place is full of knowledge the more open minded you are the more you will learn. If someone is bothering you do 1 or 2 things. Ignore them or chat in private .

Sometimes a quick behind the scenes chat or a hey you have something against me is all it takes.

you ain't difficult to deal with, you're inconsequential.
you don't contribute, but like to bicker.
using the ignore feature lets me enjoy BF's without having to zip past your nonsense.
you matter so little, I'm not using capitals.
this thread meets the requirement of topic since he asked.

Isn't that a rule?

Apparently the mods allow RX to do things the rest of us can't. What's up with that? I think I'll start a thread in Tech Support and complain...

Looks like they are referencing the sigs and stuff thread in W&C stickies.

I'm aware of the information in the stickies. They are cautionary notes. If someone is stupid enough to post/link/quote to something in W&C that isn't appropriate elsewhere, they will be dinged for it. I'm not seeing it here.

I'm sorry you have had technical troubles, you are not alone. I've noticed them myself and have received several PMs from some angry members, some outraged, and some understanding. I can tell you that no one gets more upset than Spark when the glitches become more common and widespread. It pisses us off too becaue we want people to have fun, we aren't trying to stifle anyone from sharing a topic they have interest in, or have them say only nice things about every company. We want honesty, backed with facts. I will be contacting Spark with these issues as I feel they have increased, maybe it's just my perception. In any case, I will do what I can, we moderators have no access to anything related to the forum software or fixes, we only run the day to day stuff.

As I said, if your threads are getting derailed, use the ignore feature that is why it was enabled. It works remarkably well. If the disruptions are uncalled for, meaning they don't reflect directly on the content you are contributing, Report them. If the disruptions are a direct result of your specific responses and replies, you may consider a different course. That is the best We can do, any of us tasked with running this place. When a thread contains a higher percentage of disruption, insults, jabbing, then there is no salvaging. We can either lock it or move it to Whine and Cheese. What happens in WC needs to stay there, and is not necessarily for public consumption, which is why it is tucked away where it is, rather than being at the top of the list.

Rev, I have reported Craytab and marcinek's posts before. Nothing happens. When I report other posts, like Greykilt's recent gerbil one, something changes. If this was all that was happening, I wouldn't assume anything is more than my imagination, but Coinbuysell posted this VM on 3/9
If you have not figured out " that some pigs are more equal than others" then fight with Cray and Marci...they can do no wrong and crap up a thread at will.

In another recent thread, Knarfeng posted "Some 20 posts removed. Focus on the question, not on the posters." Four posts later, marcinek ignores this and writes "I.e., stuff you don't believe."

Combined with the my experience using "report" and the Mod email I quoted early, I just don't see how the disruptions of these individuals are held to the same standard of anyone else.

I could certainly use "ignore", but I will still end up reading the attacks that are gleefully quoted, and I will still be posting threads that normal posters can't follow because they are so gummed up with personal attacks.

If this just is a "you made your bed" situation, then fine. I'm not living in a paranoid dream world where Craytab and marcinek are only rude to me, and I have never seen any evidence that they are held in any way responsible for the attacks and negativity that characterize a great number of their posts to many members. I understand they are useful to moderators for their skill in finding and reporting any sort of sales rules violation, but there should be more than that to excuse what they do in the non-W&C forums. Nothing has changed in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back