I am a pain to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire those who stand up to bullies, I really do.

The problem for you is that you jump to the conclusion that if someone doesn't agree with you and posts in your thread, they're a bully. That assumption causes problems considering no one is 100% agreed with, there will always be at least one person per thread that disagrees with the premise of the thread. You seem set on proving dissenters are mistaken, and that takes your threads way past their useful points regardless of your intent.

No, I don't. I argue with people I disagree with, and they argue back. There is nothing really wrong with that if everyone keeps their cool. It's a debate.

If you want to argue in circles, like you did, because you thought it was fun, that's on you.

Or there are people that argue, but can't help but take it personally and start getting obviously bent out of shape or resorting to personal attacks, also not cool.

An ad nauseum argument about minutia may not be some people's favorite thing, but it doesn't insult anyone. Don't read it, don't post in it, don't take interest in it. Click on something else. If you want to partake, put on the big boy pants and act like a grown up.

I am very happy to be shown to be wrong. Virtually everything I know about knives started with a question on a forum that made me do my own research or give something long thought.

How many times do people have to say it before you understand? "Standing up to" trolls is trolling in itself. Put them on ignore and see how that changes your forum experience.

Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome is crazy.

Sorry, I missed your post, Esav.

Okay, we'll do it your way. I still think that every thread I post will be cluttered with personal attacks making the whole thing a mess no one is going to want to deal with. But it is clear that there is nothing that can be done about the trolls you're referring to. Which is pretty sad.

Please feel free to close this. When I can get the server to accept a thread, I'll try posting one and avoid answering rhetorical questions.

Last edited:
No, I don't. I argue with people I disagree with, and they argue back. There is nothing really wrong with that if everyone keeps their cool. It's a debate.

If you want to argue in circles, like you did, because you thought it was fun, that's on you.

Or there are people that argue, but can't help but take it personally and start getting obviously bent out of shape or resorting to personal attacks, also not cool.

An ad nauseum argument about minutia may not be some people's favorite thing, but it doesn't insult anyone. Don't read it, don't post in it, don't take interest in it. Click on something else. If you want to partake, put on the big boy pants and act like a grown up.

I am very happy to be shown to be wrong. Virtually everything I know about knives started with a question on a forum that made me do my own research or give something long thought.

What you might not realize is that you just described pretty accurately what others see you doing, which is why no one seems to get along with you in your threads. It's not that you're not intelligent (no one is saying that), you just seem to not know how to hold a debate without resorting to minutia to keep your status of 'righter than thou'.

You seem to always know what you're talking about, but that's not the whole battle when there are other opinions in the mix.

They can also clog up a thread and get it closed with just their posts.

I remember some of my threads getting clogged by jerks and getting them closed.
But now I cannot for the life of me remember their names even, because who cares?

I remember some of my threads getting clogged by jerks and getting them closed.
But now I cannot for the life of me remember their names even, because who cares?

Probably because they didn't keep following you around.

Probably because they didn't keep following you around.

A couple did for a while.
Of course, I do have an amazing talent for forgetting people. :D
I don't remember anyone from high school.
People will say they worked with me somewhere, and I don't remember them either.

Life is too short to bother remembering who people are. :)

For anyone who thinks they're being "followed" there's this kooky fresh button called "New Posts".

If a topic really churning it'll be right at the top screaming read me.

I can see where you are coming from RX-79G. And I agree with many of the points you have made here. It's easy for others to say that you are overreacting, etc, etc, and I can't say one way or the other if they are right because I don't know every detail, maybe you aren't overreacting.

Years ago there was a guy on this site who took a dislike to me in Prac Tac, and he would jump into any thread in Prac Tac that I started, or that I happened to post in just to attack me with personal insults and accusations of wrongdoing, but not to actually discuss the topic. He would troll, and troll, and troll, arguing with anything I said. It was getting to the point that I didn't want to participate anymore in that sub-forum, or on Bladeforums at all. It became so ridiculous that I finally complained to the moderators. I don't know if a mod had words with the guy, but the harassment immediately stopped. If you are experiencing that sort of harassment, then I can empathize.

Like I said, I agree with many of your points, and it does seem like trolling and harassment aren't being dealt with in General Discussion (other than locking the thread). I repeatedly see mods make threats of individual punishment in a thread, and the trolling will dissipate in that thread, but then I see the same people engage in the same sort of trolling in other threads. So it doesn't look like they are being punished. That's my impression anyways. And when threats of punishment are never followed by punishment, the kids get the idea that they can get away with their bad behavior.

Here's my personal outlook- I don't need to be here, I choose to come here. I don't like everything that goes on here, and I don't always agree with the moderators, but they are in charge, and what they say goes whether I like it or not. There is the way we want things to be, and there is the way things are. I've learned to focus on what I regard as the positive aspects of Bladeforums, and ignore what I regard as the negative. That's how I enjoy Bladeforums.

If you are truly being harassed, and if nothing is being done about it, then I think that sucks. But I can't say that I regard you as completely innocent in all of the issues you've had. Whatever the case may be, I hope you get it all sorted out so that you can enjoy this forum. I don't believe that anyone should have to tolerate harassment on this forum.

My advice again is- put the past behind you, start fresh, and if you are harassed report it to the mods. And if you feel that your complaints of harassment are being ignored, then you have to consider if participating in this forum is worth any unhappiness that doing so might cause you. After all, it's just a knife forum.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed your post, Esav.

Okay, we'll do it your way. I still think that every thread I post will be cluttered with personal attacks making the whole thing a mess no one is going to want to deal with. But it is clear that there is nothing that can be done about the trolls you're referring to. Which is pretty sad.

Please feel free to close this. When I can get the server to accept a thread, I'll try posting one and avoid answering rhetorical questions.

I told you already what to do in my previous post. Please, follow those instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back