I bought *ME* my first knife!

I just got back from Dennis Wright's shop. I bought myself a Sypderco Cricket. It's soooooo cute! And I bought the black one, not the pink one. I pretty much had the Cricket in mind when I went there. It was so nice to actually see so many of the knives we have been discussing.

I did see the BM940 Osborne. I am glad that I did not get that one for HHBL for his first knife. It's a nice knife - maybe it will be his second knife.

HHBL called me on my cell while I was driving to Dennis Wright's place and said, "I'm a little concerned about this fascination of yours with knives. I'm almost afraid to get in bed naked with you!"

So I told him, "Hey, I'm not bringing any knives to bed with me. Besides, you have a much sharper and nicer knife than I do."

end of that discussion!

I also met another Forumite while I was there. Mike (Cass?). Very nice guy - had read my posts about getting a knife for HHBL.

okay - that's it. Just wanted to let you know that I have officially started MY collection. I guess my other knives count, but this is the first knife I have bought for myself. No, I take that back - my Cold Steel ReadyEdge was the first knife I bought years ago - but never considered it part of a collection.

back to Mojave Desert for me.

judy and her Cricket

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

biggrin.gif
hehe, it begins!

What's next, a big chopper?

Totally Judy; I regret to inform you that you have been infected with the 'steel virus.' Unfortunately (or fortunately
wink.gif
), medical science has no cure for this disorder at present.
smile.gif

Walt Welch MD

Nice pick for a knife!!
smile.gif
You know what one Spyderco leads to right?? about 7 or 10 Spyderco's.
smile.gif

Blades

I imagine, in Dennis Wright's shop, a sort of reverse metal detector. You walk in Totally Judy, who drops a knife into her makeup bag, and leave as Donna, who drips with steel (and c-fiber, and composite....).
wink.gif

Good one, Dennis!!

Walt

Totally Judy,

HAHAHAHAHA...You ARE now HOOKED!.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Have you bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 yet? You WILL buy one to keep your knives sharp.
smile.gif

I "noticed" that you have a Cold Steel Ready-Edge. I bought my wife one, and it was fun watching her trying to figure-out how to seperate the little knife from the "sheath".
smile.gif
. (Now you will have to buy MORE Cold Steel knives.).

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Good choice, TJ. Keep us posted as your collection grows. Did anything else really catch your eye while you were there?

biggrin.gif
Yep, you're hooked.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 12-26-2000).]

Yeah...... well I had already thought of the Cricket and the garter..... so there!

And yes, there were several knives that caught my eye.....I don't remember exactly which ones they were though. I was mainly interested in actually seeing some of the knives that have been discussed here in the Blade Forum so that I have a better idea of what everyone is talking about, plus I knew that I couldn't afford to buy much more than the Cricket at this point in time.

I need to go back to Dennis's shop again. Oh,and he mentioned there is a knive show in Buena Park, CA on Feb 8&9,I think. I might try to go to that one.

I don't think I can afford to buy another knife for a month or so - just bought an new upgrade computer which I had not planned on getting but couldn't not buy it for the price I got it at. Plus Dec and Jan I have to make two car payments - overlaps for my car and my truck. It was an unplanned SNAFU. But I will get thru it. so no discretionary funds will be available until February or March. But that's okay. That gives me lots of time to do more research and go to a couple of knife shows, etc. etc...... and be ready to buy my next knife.

judy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by glockman99:
Totally Judy,

HAHAHAHAHA...You ARE now HOOKED!.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Have you bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 yet? You WILL buy one to keep your knives sharp.
smile.gif
</font>

Dennis and Mike and I discussed sharpening knives, and especially the challenge with the Cricket. I guess I am going to have to learn how to sharpen my knives.... but don't know where to start or what equipment I need.

judy

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

Totally "Hooked",
WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!
wink.gif

(hehe, actually the being in bed part isn't what he should worry about. Wait till he sees you pull out YOUR knife at a resteraunt cause the one they give you isn't sharp enough!)

well TJ you're hooked. A very good thing now you can go to you friends and say "Hi I'm Judy and I'm a knife addict." Your next aquistion should be a Sharpmaker 204. Practice it on one of your kitchen knives and in an hour you'll be an expert on the sharpmaker...it's that easy.
Mykl

------------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Judy, I second the Sharpmaker 204. It also comes with a video to get you started. It's the best thing around for new knives. Once you put a lot of wear on a knife you eventually will have to reprofile the edge. You will want something different then, but that's down the road a bit. You might also want to check out Joe Talmadge's (did I butcher his last name?) FAQ on sharpening, available right here. Joe is our resident guru on sharpening and after reading his FAQ, you will know more about sharpening a knife than 99% of the population of the U.S. BTW, are you SURE the knife you bought for your HHBL is sharper than your Cricket? Spydies usually come mighty sharp.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Back