I can only baby this 'grail' for so long...

I finally got my hands on what I've always believed to be my grail knife. I told myself that if I ever do get this knife I will keep it in perfect condition for many many years until I can maybe one day sell it or pass it down to family. Now the trouble im having at the end of the first week is overwhelming. I want nothing more than to take this knife out and full on throw it in rotation. Nicks, Bumps, scratches.... the works. Anyone ever had this problem? Do I keep it for show and admiring? Or do I take care of it, yet give it all it can handle? Any experienced input would be appreciated 1510643430525329183927.jpg

Beautiful knife. I had the same problem as you’re having when I bought my CRKs. Someone posted this, I don’t know who. I put it in my notepad on the phone so whenever I start debating on whether or not to use a knife I read it again for a reminder. Anyways, here it is copied and pasted.

Think of it this way:

Everything we own we will one day have to leave behind. Even if you kept a knife in its original box, after a century or two, it would no longer be pristine and would have corrosion and deterioration. Unless maybe you put it in some special vacuum-sealed tube. But then, how much enjoyment would you have gotten out of it? Everything in this life is only temporary, including our physical bodies, which are far more valuable than any knife.

I have users and collectors, the collectors get carried on non work days. I have a few that will never be used, they’re for collection only.
Each CRK is meant to be used. I know I’m doing an injustice to the CRK’s that I’m not using.:(

If it will bring a smile to your face, put it in the rotation and don’t look back. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and become one of the few that carry and use an expensive knife. Then it will be yours, gain personality and you’ll wind up keeping it to pass on. :D

I finally got my hands on what I've always believed to be my grail knife. I told myself that if I ever do get this knife I will keep it in perfect condition for many many years until I can maybe one day sell it or pass it down to family. Now the trouble im having at the end of the first week is overwhelming. I want nothing more than to take this knife out and full on throw it in rotation. Nicks, Bumps, scratches.... the works. Anyone ever had this problem? Do I keep it for show and admiring? Or do I take care of it, yet give it all it can handle? Any experienced input would be appreciated View attachment 797309
Beautiful knife and hard to get dirty, buuuut if it makes you want to carry it, carry it and be careful. Now, if it was an ivory GEC in 1095 or another rare pocket knife in tool steel I would be more careful but CRK are designed to be used!

Put it in your pocket! Carry it and you’ll enjoy it more, even if it’s only light carry.

To be honest, I have a beautiful Small 21 that’s kind of a grail for me. It comes out of the house with me occasionally but only sees light use. Typically there will be a beater in its company. I’ve accepted the fact that it will get a few signs of wear and that inevitably I’ll do something stupid that will give it a nick, scratch, or chip, and then another, and so on. I get more joy out of the occasional carry than I would just ogling.

I have another grail (for me it’s a grail, for some it’d be a user ;)) that is probably still my crowning acquisition in knife-dom. It just sits in the safe and comes out for fondling. Every month it gets harder to justify keeping it around.

ETA: The comment above at being a dress-user is kinda what I was trying to say...Mr. Hartwig was just much more concise!

Don't deny yourself and others the opportunity to see this beautiful knife! That would be like buying art work and not hanging it on the wall. I would do as Peter Hartwig said and use it as a dresser but if the time comes pull it out and use it. A very beautiful knife!!

If you are in a career field that results in your hands being covered in dirt, mud, grease, oil or any other type of "filth" I would make it a user on off days only. If your line of work keeps your hands relatively clean I'd make it my edc. Most times the scratches, nicks, dings and dents add to my appreciation of a knife - especially those that were designed for hard use.

I also was a collector at one point that kept everything as pristine as possible until the fine members of this forum made me realize (in a polite way) that if I wasn't going to use a knife for its intended purpose than I shouldn't have bought it. Whoever you leave it to will cherish the memory of that knife being in your pocket rather than in a box, tube, safe etc.

It's begging to cut something.

If I were you I'd take that knife and go find a cardboard box that's giving you the stink - eye.

How about this logic: odds are that someone somewhere some day will use that knife. Why shouldn't that someone be you?

I'm the type who only buys users with very few minor exceptions. I can only think of a few types of exceptions ie beautiful but not terribly functional or old classic collectible.

I use my Computer-graphic small. Sure it's got some scratches, and a big snail trail on the back it got within 2-hours of being bought from the car's seat belt buckle. I wouldn't buy a plain jane, too ugly. If you carry a sebenza, then carry this one...don't carry no ugly knife :)

First of all, congrats. There’s very little like obtaining such a possession.

There comes a point when the things you possess start possessing you. Use it, enjoy it, and never regret using your possessions.

Not using your stuff and saving it for the next person - unless it’s your child...and even then - is pointless. To elaborate, I like it because it was my dad’s...not because he saved it for me.

Put it in your pocket. Repeat. Enjoy.

I think the answer is obvious; buy a second one just like the first. One to enjoy and one to put away and keep pristine.

I think the answer is obvious; buy a second one just like the first. One to enjoy and one to put away and keep pristine.
Gonna be hard to find another one of these with them being discontinued. No matter what I say.... a picture will soon be in the well weathered thread I'm sure haha. Thanks for all the input. Carry it.... I just needed a bit of a kick in the ass is all

I am glad you are going to use it! I would carry a second knife for somthing that might damage it, but it needs to be in the rotation for sure:thumbsup:

Back