I can't decide! PM2 or Delica 4

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Banger102, Feb 3, 2014.

1. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I would get the Para2 first since they're currently available, then go for the Delica .

2. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Since you're looking to try a Spyderco, I'd recommend picking up a more affordable Delica first. It's a fantastic EDC type folder in its own right. If you like it, you can always 'upgrade' to a PM2 later. Can't go wrong with either...

[​IMG]
    Endura 4 SE, Para-Military 2, Delica 4

Good luck, OP! :)

-Brett

3. Banger102

Banger102

Jan 23, 2014
    In looking at the picture the PM2 is a big knife, does it edc well? Also does the delica come in any steel variations?

4. NCCNC

NCCNC Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2013
    If it's between the PM2 and the delica, then the delica in superblue.....but the endura superblue is ticket. I have never sharpened a knife that takes such an edge. (and it is SUPER easy to touch up)

5. Revival29

Revival29

Jan 9, 2013
    2 completely different knives. All depends what you want/need the knife for. The PM2 is a better all around knife but the delica will carry better in the pocket.

6. hopsbreath

hopsbreath

Apr 3, 2012
    I'm going to be "that guy" and suggest a Stretch over both. Barely bigger than the Delica closed, but with the extra blade length comparable to the PM2. I personally prefer the in hand feel of the molded FRN to the PM2's G10 and think the Stretch is the single best knife I've handled from Spyderco.

7. SBXT

SBXT

Apr 28, 2013
    The PM2 carries well, but I think the Delica carries slightly better due to it's smaller overall profile. The Delica can be had in VG 10, ZDP189, and superblue.

8. Banger102

Banger102

Jan 23, 2014
    I'm just learning all this terminology, can you give a little more explanation on the variations.

9. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    IF you can find a PM2, and IF you can afford it, and IF you are legal for that size blade, then by all means pick the PM2.

The PM2 is larger, it has G10 scales instead of FRN, it has a better lock for one-handed use, but it is more expensive. All of these should be considered.

10. jimwalter

jimwalter

Oct 10, 2009
    Delica first, PM2 second.
    Cause we all know you are going to end up getting both :)

11. Banger102

Banger102

Jan 23, 2014
    Its so true lol

12. SBXT

SBXT

Apr 28, 2013
    I'm no steel expert, so hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in with more information.
    The VG10 is what I consider the "standard" steel for the Delica line. VG10 Delicas are available in a wide variety of colors. It is easy to sharpen, and gets very sharp, and is a stainless steel.

ZDP-189 is also stainless. It is a bit harder to sharpen than VG10, but gets very sharp and will stay sharp a long time.

I don't own any super blue blades, but it is not stainless, and could develop patina. I can't speak to its sharpening or edge retention.

If you do a search of these steels here or on Google, you will find a ton of great information.

13. jlwatts3

jlwatts3

Mar 5, 2012
    I like my Delica4 more than my PM2. I know people love the PM2 but for me, it's the most over-hyped knife I own. Handle too big for the blade and also not ergonomic for my hands. Love my Delica though.

14. Banger102

Banger102

Jan 23, 2014
    Well time to find a good deal on a delica 4.... And a camo/satin pm2...

15. NeilB

NeilB

Jul 26, 2013
    Same here. My ZDP Delica arrives tomorrow!

16. +1. :thumbup: