I do not get the " Food Prep" people talk about knives

At home in the kitchen I would be grabbing for my shun 8"

But as others have said you aren't always in the kitchen when you need to eat an apple / cut some steak / trim the fat / skin an animal / fillet a fish.

Some people just like to use their beloved knives whenever possible, who cares if you don't "get it" :confused:

food prep? if it's sharp enough to cut printer paper it's good enough :D

machete_spam_01.jpg

machete_spam_02.jpg

machete_spam_03.jpg

machete_spam_04.jpg

bushcraftuk_spam.jpg

lite_machete_pizza.jpg

Cooking is a time to play with knives

3 3/4" to 4" slippies are real fun, because they have thin blades
But
Moras in carbon are superb for veg prep
I can get the thinest cucumber salad, even thinner than my 8" carbon cook's knife

Some people just like to use their beloved knives whenever possible, who cares if you don't "get it" :confused:

I think this just about sums it up in a nutshell.

Yes, most people will use a kitchen knife when they are in the kitchen. But..., we're not most people. We're knife knits. That means we're a little nuts by society's tame standards, and a little off the beam. We are obsessed by our knives, love them, and want to use them as much as we can, even if it's a little weird. We're like car nuts, just on a smaller scale. Do you really need a Porshe 911 to run to the store for a jug of milk? NO, but it make the trip more fun!

Lets face it, in semi urban suburbia that is most of America these days, there is not much need for a knife on a daily basis. Heck, the majority of people who are not knife knuts don't even carry a knife anymore. I'd be willing to bet that 8 out of 10 people on any street in most of America are not carrying a knife on them. Like was said in another post, we're not threatened by wild injuns on the warpath while commuting to work, nor are we needing to hunt for a haunch of something to bring back for supper on our way home. All the food we get at Safeway has been already butchered down to cooking size. And in the kitchen are kitchen knives, which are way more efficient than a folding knife from your pocket. I love knives as much as the next guy, but if I have a choice between any of my folders, and the nice Forschner/Victorinox 7 inch butcher knife or the Victorinox chefs knife, I'm going Forschner in a heartbeat. Right tool for the job makes the job a lot easier and fun. Come on, a 3 inch Victorinox paring knife does a better job in the kitchen than any folder, I don't care how much you love that Spyderco.

But...

Like has been said, sometimes you ain't home when dealing with food. I love my sister in law, she's a great person, and shares the same kind of kind of traits that has made a great 41 year relationship with her sister, my better half. But she refuses to have a sharp knife in her kitchen. So when we're over there, and I'm helping in the kitchen, I sometimes end up using the Opinel I keep in the glovebox of the car, or the one My better half keeps in her purse. But if I know in advance I'm going to be cooking in Diane's kitchen, like on a holiday, I'll bring one of my kitchen knives from home. Of course there was the time I took one of Di's kitchen knives outside and sharpened it on the cement step of the front porch. It carved that roast very well, and Di was surprised at how well it cut.

But logic does not enter into this. Knife knuts just want to use thier knife for something!. I mean, they spent all this money on that new Benchmade this, or Spyderco that, and in their day at the office there wasn't a single real need for a knife, so somethings gonna get cut, even if it's a bologna sandwich. That's the part of being a knife knut that's a bummer; there's no real need of much knife in modern America unless you have a job like in construction, and then most of the young guys I know working in that line all carry those folding super knives with the replaceable utility razor blades. Pro meat cutters use butcher knives, so we sometimes have to invent a need to use the objects of our obsession. And the office cubicle doesn't need much more blade, if any, than a Victorinox classic. Just like you don't need that Porshe to run down to the store.

But ya gotta have some fun in your life, even if you have to invent it. That means a knife knut in America has to sometimes reach a little to use his knife.

But ya gotta have some fun in your life, even if you have to invent it. That means a knife knut in America has to sometimes reach a little to use his knife.
This is sooooo true! I've long ago given up trying to rationalize or defend my love of knives. I could probably own ONLY a Victorinox (pick one) for the rest of my life and be covered. But what fun would that be? And, in the event that I DO need a knife, I know how to use it and take care of it, so it's a (kind of) useful obsession...

You mean other than sitting in front of the TV or the computer flipping it 100's of times a day so the lock wears out before it ever needs to be sharpened the 1st time.... ;)

Then they start a thread in a forum complaining about blade play and lack of quality control....

I remember as a kid using my SAK to cut conch in Mexico, lol the regular steak knife wouldn't cut that stuff!

Thee other day I tried a paring knife I made on a steak at home and I have to say it made the experience even better, I was actually surprised at the ease which my parer sliced through the steak. It's all about having fun!

I normally talk about food prep when it comes to consideration/selection of bushcrafting knives. Particularly when it comes to deciding between 3mm and 4mm stock or type of steel.
If your main tasks with bushcrafting are building shelters, batonning and splitting firewood and heavy duty tasks then a 4mm knife in O1 is probably better suited.
If food preparation (including skinning, gutting game or prepping fish) is also one of the tasks likely to employ your bushcrafting knife, then 3mm in something less likely to leave a metallic tang is preferable. Onions, cabbage (because it stains and goes brown) and acidic fruits/veg can often pick up the metallic taste of a plain carbon blade (until it gets a patina).
I have many kitchen knives, but I don't take any of them camping/bushcrafting. I might get around to making sheaths for some of them one day.
Sometimes you have to use what you have on you. It's nice to know that your knife is up to the task or whether something else might be more suitable.

Edit: My regular EDC is a self made (inspired by Michael Morris) friction folder in damasteel.
It is full flat with convexed edge and generally more robust than his file knives.
But it's great for barbeques because of the bottle opener and the stainless damascus doesn't leave a tang when I peel/slice an apple.

Lets face it, in semi urban suburbia that is most of America these days, there is not much need for a knife on a daily basis. Heck, the majority of people who are not knife knuts don't even carry a knife anymore. I'd be willing to bet that 8 out of 10 people on any street in most of America are not carrying a knife on them. Like was said in another post, we're not threatened by wild injuns on the warpath while commuting to work, nor are we needing to hunt for a haunch of something to bring back for supper on our way home. All the food we get at Safeway has been already butchered down to cooking size. And in the kitchen are kitchen knives, which are way more efficient than a folding knife from your pocket. I love knives as much as the next guy, but if I have a choice between any of my folders, and the nice Forschner/Victorinox 7 inch butcher knife or the Victorinox chefs knife, I'm going Forschner in a heartbeat. Right tool for the job makes the job a lot easier and fun. Come on, a 3 inch Victorinox paring knife does a better job in the kitchen than any folder, I don't care how much you love that Spyderco.

there's no real need of much knife in modern America unless you have a job like in construction, and then most of the young guys I know working in that line all carry those folding super knives with the replaceable utility razor blades. Pro meat cutters use butcher knives, so we sometimes have to invent a need to use the objects of our obsession. And the office cubicle doesn't need much more blade, if any, than a Victorinox classic. Just like you don't need that Porshe to run down to the store.

Don't say stuff like that unless you want to end up with UK knife laws. :eek:
It's surely no coincidence that knife restrictions start in the cities. Certainly enforcement is stricter there. There's "no need" for a knife in NYC, hence knife restrictions even more stringent than UK law.

For us knife knuts, any chance to use a favorite knife is a good time. Preparing meals generally means using knives so, use what you like.

402881_10151385301844018_794402828_n.jpg

A santoku is handy for food prep, but sometimes you also gotta have an octopus cutting knife.

IMG_0005.jpg

wst030.jpg

I probably wouldn't use my EDC (strider SnG) to cut food unless absolutely necessary since I don't typically crave the taste of militec.

i use my blades for food prep. not really when i am home, but at work, fishing, hunting, ect. i would like to know about good food prep edc knives because who wants to take out an apple and constantly be cracking the apple when you slice it. a good edc food prep knife prevents a mess. cutting a hero sandwich in my tree stand would be an ideal circomstance where i dont want to dirty my hunting clothes , and also a noiseless clean slice. i dont use my edc in my own kitchen. unless its a small cutting task. when cutting onions i dont go for my para 2 :rolleyes:

i use my blades for food prep. not really when i am home, but at work, fishing, hunting, ect. i would like to know about good food prep edc knives because who wants to take out an apple and constantly be cracking the apple when you slice it. a good edc food prep knife prevents a mess. cutting a hero sandwich in my tree stand would be an ideal circomstance where i dont want to dirty my hunting clothes , and also a noiseless clean slice. i dont use my edc in my own kitchen. unless its a small cutting task. when cutting onions i dont go for my para 2 :rolleyes:

Maybe an opinel #8?

Back