I figured out the knife Ponzi scheme....

I use whatever knife I am carrying to break down boxes and am sure I show my wife that I am regularly using one of the 100 knives I own. :cool:

I broke down a few boxes this week from a certain Ontario Government organization that offers these weird dried flowers. Oh, and a couple of Quebec 60 packs of Bud Light. :thumbsup:

Funny u should mention that...in the near future most of my knife activity will be used to open packages ( some knife packages naturally lol).
In the past though, I used knives just about everyday at work; mostly for cutting zip ties and the occasional cardboard or plastic wrap....
The job I have now is much more suited for wire-cutters and I would hate to even put a $20 Kershaw through the abuse a knife would see on a regular basis at my current job.

I do open a lot of mail with my knives. During xmas time my pm2 came in handy for cutting the zip ties that they use to bolt toys down to the packaging.

I open and break down many boxes with my knives. Mostly at work, cutting the straps holding boxes of network equipment closed, opening and breaking down boxes containing computers, displays, network cable... The last box I opened was on Friday. A replacement drive for a 100TB array. I would use a box cutter, but no one ever puts them back where they were so I can never find them. And this is why I carry a knife with me all the time.

This right here
I don’t know why “breaking down cardboard” is such a popular activity.

I almost never cut through cardboard. When I need to break down a box I cut the tape and fold the box flat.

Does this have something to do with urban folk and tiny recycling bins?

In fairness, you do need something like a Mora, to open the plastic clamshell packaging for a Mora...

I thought box cutters worked better for that purpose than knives. They are a lot cheaper to I can tell ya!

CanadaKnifeGuy-

Is it true that lots of Canadian women have better beards than we American knife/hockey player guys, or is that just the trim on their Eskimo hoody jacket to keep them warm when there are no maple trees to burn?

I rarely break down cardboard with my knife.
At home It all fits in the recycle can as is and at work we've got a bailer, I'm cutting tape to open the boxes but rarely the actual cardboard itself.

uhhhh , sir , I disagree.Opinels would come to a close second when it comes to cardboard box destruction.Why? you may ask ,well you see
with an Opinel you have the option to sharpen it at whatever angle you want and its wooden handle doesnt get so cold like those big ol'
Stanley classic 99's, the downsides are that their blades and handles
can be higher maintenance BUT to some the lowly Opinel is their
closest thing to a real life pocket light saber.:p

I agree; an Opinel is a cardboard slaying monster!

Opinel knives are generally very underrated, even by "knife guys". Their carbon steel paring knives are great too.

I still like razor blade utility knives for cardboard due to their geometry and inexpensive nature.

Even an extremely dull razor blade can still cut "OK" on cardboard due to the sheer thinness of the stock.

The blades are so cheap you can replace them frequently if you wish, or even resharpen them like I do.

I cut a lot of cardboard at work. When I cut it at home, it’s to make recycling fit into the constantly overflowing recycle bins at our complex. The recycling piece isn’t frequent.

I'm in the boat with trying to figure out the consistent breaking down boxes thing. I don't get packages that often, and when I do I use my knife to cut the tape to open it, then cut the tape to collapse it if I don't need it for something else. They fold down to size just fine. I mean yeah, occasionally I need a square of cardboard for something and I'll use my knife to cut that out but it doesn't top my list of knife uses by any means.

Posted by a Canadian. I should have known.

As a life long resident of the state of Michigan, I've been saving up my cardboard and building a wall to protect our northern border against those Canadians. Don't let the politeness fool you. They will drink up all your beer and pee in your garden in a heartbeat. :D

As a life long resident of the state of Michigan, I've been saving up my cardboard and building a wall to protect our northern border against those Canadians. Don't let the politeness fool you. They will drink up all your beer and pee in your garden in a heartbeat. :D

But they will always apologize!!
:p

I’m a IT/Maintenance guy at a couple of car dealerships and I break down big boxes all the time.

I use my knife sometimes like a worry stone .Sometimes to cut up cardboard but sometimes to cut bald spots in my arm hair. Some serious stuff going on over here :rolleyes:.

I'm in the boat with trying to figure out the consistent breaking down boxes thing. I don't get packages that often, and when I do I use my knife to cut the tape to open it, then cut the tape to collapse it if I don't need it for something else. They fold down to size just fine. I mean yeah, occasionally I need a square of cardboard for something and I'll use my knife to cut that out but it doesn't top my list of knife uses by any means.

You living in the city too

We’re secretly shipping mind control devices in the garbage (which is actually 70% of what we put in our “recycling” bins) Ontario sends to Michigan for landfill.

Another secret jewish operation called Operation: Mishigas (craziness in yiddish) Michigan. It doesn’t hurt to tell you because my Rabbi is casting spells that will make you forget anyway.

I bet you’re already asking yourself what you were just reading but when you scroll up to read the paragraph again all you will see in place of the above paragraph is:

8058988-birthday-cat-holding-balloons-wearing-a-silly-hat.jpg

Back