1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I have a dilemma

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by arjung, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Snakewood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black Lip Pearl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. arjung

arjung

Oct 10, 2009
    Two very sexy GEC's but only one can come home with me. Can you help decide? These are the slim jack

[​IMG]

snakewood

or

[​IMG]

black lip pearl

Here is a better image of a GEC with black lip pearl. Can anyone tell me more about this material? I have never seen it before today?

[​IMG]

2. MoreToasties

MoreToasties

Jan 13, 2010
    Get both and give me the one you don't want!

Not that I've ever suggested this before....:)

Who are you, anyways?

3. arjung

arjung

Oct 10, 2009
    Would love to man, would love to

But unfortunately only one can come home tonight.

Just a background as to what I have.

-1 GEC Serpentine jack with Ebony wood
    -1 Northwoods Gunstock with Italian Jigged bone

no acrylics yet..... Is this stuff expensive to make?

4. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The snakewood is gorgeous, but I voted for the black lip pearl. It just seems to be a perfect match for this gentlemanly slim single blade trapper.

Their black lip is what they call "looking glass pearl," where they take a thin slice of real pearl and then cover it with acrylic.
    Makes them tougher and keeps the cost down because they use much less pearl, but still has a great look.

5. Seals

Seals

Oct 12, 2007
    Black lip is rare and gorgeous.Nothing is prettier imo.A set 3" long is very hard to find and very expensive.

6. arjung

arjung

Oct 10, 2009
  7. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    black lip pearl

What was the question?

8. Core Knife Co.

Core Knife Co.

Apr 8, 2009
    After looking at Rick's thread I too want to run out and buy a black lip. I'm just thinking, but I don't think it would be too risky to go out on a limb and say these knife dealers could sell a lot more knives if they hired some of the photographers from here.

Michael

9. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    I would be all over that Black lip Pearl...

It is really cool looking, and I can only imagine it looks even better in person

10. LKJW

LKJW

Nov 21, 2010
    Not trying to be contrary, but I like the wood.

11. zerogee

zerogee

Nov 10, 2001
    Yep, the snakewood for me too.

12. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Snakewood looks great and will be more durable over the long haul. (I'm assuming you'll use the knife, not just set 'er on a shelf.)

-- Mark

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Snakewood is elegant, i'd opt for that.

14. moonman

moonman

Oct 30, 2005
    Snakewood.

15. DITCH

DITCH

Apr 9, 2002
    I have a #48 in snakewood-a beaut!

Really liking that Cattle Baron, too......

16. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    I collect pearl whittlers and I love them. Not sure about the coated acrylic pearl but IF you drop a pearl knife it usually cracks. ;-((

Regards

Robin

17. biglmbass

biglmbass

Jan 26, 2005
    That particular snakewood is fantasatic and it got my vote, however now that I've seen Rick's pics and post, I not sure I could easily decide. Thus I'd skrimp & save & get 'em both.

18. biglmbass

biglmbass

Jan 26, 2005
    I do wonder though, if the top layer of acrylic will easily scratch and swirl with pocket carry and get cloudy over time. Anyone know?

19. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    If it's going to be a user,I'd opt for the Snakewood.For a safe queen,I'd go pearl.I voted snakewood.

20. arjung

arjung

Oct 10, 2009
    I am a user, no safe queens for me. They only have one snakewood and 5 pearl.

I think I'll opt for the snakewood atm.

EDIT: Yep just purchased the snakewood