I have Zero Tolerance for hiking...

A Zero Tolerance 0102 that is. :)

It showed up yesterday, courtesy of Thomas (thanks again, man!).
The pictures weren't taken till after midnight though...too busy with marking assignments and playing with my new axe.

Pictures of the sheath (original, old-school version):

ZT%201_zpsieavbn2p.jpg~original

ZT%202_zps5f2jkneg.jpg~original

Nice hand grip area near the head; useful for many tasks:

ZT%204_zpsx9zkstfl.jpg~original

Here's the back-spike:

ZT%203_zpsytmfqgh0.jpg~original

Today my Emberlit twig stove showed up, so it was off for a hike to try out both items. :thumbup:
Here it is on the bus, just prior to getting off (didn't feel like rooting around in the cold to dig it out later):

ZT%205_zpsmkxu9nnd.jpg~original

Note the color of the paracord strap...that manliest of colours, pink camouflage. :D

Out where the trees and things be at:

ZT%206_zpsvdjjadky.jpg~original

A couple of shots before lighting the stove...the ZT 0102 was very handy for bashing off some dry deadwood from various spots:

ZT%207_zpsnzypr90y.jpg~original

ZT%208_zpsrcisa6ua.jpg~original

Boiling up some water:

ZT%209_zpsqd9ckpcm.jpg~original

Splitting some small wood to get to the dry interior:

ZT%2010_zpsdb8rayx0.jpg~original

Note the signs of use on the back-spike; it is actually very handy for splitting wood the same way that some folks do with a small bushcraft knife, where they stab to split, then wiggle and pull the wood along.

Back at home, and all cleaned up. Just look at how long the blade span is...it's longer than the Spyderco Military:

ZT%2011_zpsseih2jhw.jpg~original

The head is pretty long too:

ZT%2012_zpsx0mz6nvb.jpg~original

You can see some wear on the coating, but that's to be expected with use, especially when chopping at frozen wood. Along the way in and out, I chopped at every sizeable bit of deadwood I came across, and it was pretty damn great. I can tell this is going to be a useful piece of equipment to have when out and about; chops pretty good, great handle ergonomics, and it fits easily in a standard size backpack. The ability to choke up near the blade allows for use in some carving tasks also.

Next time, I'll have to take it out with some of my big knives to compare overall utility, but I'm really digging it thus far.

Last edited:
Looks like a useful piece of equipment. If I needed one I'd look into that. Zero Tolerance has been coming out with some slick stuff. Enjoy

Looks like a useful piece of equipment. If I needed one I'd look into that. Enjoy.

I think it will be useful. :)
Also, I didn't have any Vanadis 4 Extra steel in my collection, so that's a bonus too.
Seems tough enough by initial edge resilience, but it will be interesting to see how it stacks up along the way.

Used the pry-bar section at the butt end a bit too, and it can certainly help when prying stubborn bits of wood.
Seems a lot of features that are "tactical" are also practical for regular usage. :thumbup:

Very nice!

I have been very impressed with the Vanadis 4 Extra - both in the 0102 and the 0180, and the ZT DLC coating is also very durable.

Thanks for the cool review - I look forward to seeing what you think of the 0102 over time -

best

mqqn

Very nice!

I have been very impressed with the Vanadis 4 Extra - both in the 0102 and the 0180, and the ZT DLC coating is also very durable.

Thanks for the cool review - I look forward to seeing what you think of the 0102 over time -

best

mqqn

Have you had a chance to get some quality use out of your 0102?

Not as much as the 0180, but I am no stabman now.... ;^)

DSC_2116.JPG

best

mqqn

Not as much as the 0180, but I am no stabman now.... ;^)

DSC_2116.JPG

best

mqqn

If you managed to stick that with a throw, you can do something I generally suck at. :D
Throwing knives and other sharp things never seemed to work out very well for me.

Sure looks like fun when I see other people succeed at it. :thumbup:

Nice mini review. I've not had the chance to play with mine yet. I did attach it to my pack in case I get called out for SAR though. I will be comparing mine to my 0100 when the time comes! Need to see if I can snatch a 0180 before the new steel change too. Cheers!

That is all kinds of awesome Stabman! 5" of cutting edge is pretty decent too. ;):D:rolleyes::foot:

Love the 102...glad to see you put it to use!! I also take mine on any hiking/camping trip. Makes a great all around tool....one of the few blades that even my wife loves. At home we keep it in an easily accessible place as an extra defense tool in case of emergency.

12135269_1645565269048418_528622131_n.jpg

A zero tolerance knife for hiking? I take it that you aren't one of those ultra-lightweight hikers, lol.
I kid. I am not one of those guys who counts half ounces, my equipment weighs what it weighs. The key is to not carry things you don't need like two sets of cooking pots or a full bottle of booze that I was too exhausted to drink once I got to the top. Yes my first "hike" was a real learning experience. Thanks for the pics.

"
A Zero Tolerance 0102 that is. :)

It showed up yesterday, courtesy of Thomas (thanks again, man!).
The pictures weren't taken till after midnight though...too busy with marking assignments and playing with my new axe.
Pictures of the sheath (original, old-school version):
ZT%201_zpsieavbn2p.jpg

QUOTE]"
Stabman, great pictorial review! Thanks for the mini-adventure too. I feel like I just got back from a little hike. [emoji41]

Wow, that's a lot better than I thought it would be. I am generally not a tactical-stuff fan, and had thought the 0102 was just another zombie-killin' weapon. Seems like it actually makes a great woods-tool. Dag, guess I'm going to have to track one down.

Wow, that's a lot better than I thought it would be. I am generally not a tactical-stuff fan, and had thought the 0102 was just another zombie-killin' weapon. Seems like it actually makes a great woods-tool. Dag, guess I'm going to have to track one down.
Still readily available from many online retailers :). Discontinued though, so once they're gone, they're gone

Awesome post man, picked mine up a couple weeks ago, haven't gotten much chance to use it yet. Soon... You got the top eject scabbard too, I'm not a fan of the other one that mine came with, the blade cover is on a pivot and it has to be pivotted of and then the hawk comes out toward the front. Kind of hard to explain, but kind of a weird design

Interesting piece. I looked at them when they first came out. I might just have to pick one up before they are gone. Great pictures as usual.

Nice mini review. I've not had the chance to play with mine yet. I did attach it to my pack in case I get called out for SAR though. I will be comparing mine to my 0100 when the time comes! Need to see if I can snatch a 0180 before the new steel change too. Cheers!

It should work fine for SAR. :thumbup:

That is all kinds of awesome Stabman! 5" of cutting edge is pretty decent too. ;):D:rolleyes::foot:

The length of cutting edge is what really drew me to it; never liked those offerings with short cutting edges.

Love the 102...glad to see you put it to use!! I also take mine on any hiking/camping trip. Makes a great all around tool....one of the few blades that even my wife loves. At home we keep it in an easily accessible place as an extra defense tool in case of emergency.

My wife likes the look of it as well. :)
For home defense, she'd probably grab her Condor Woodworker axe though. :D

A zero tolerance knife for hiking? I take it that you aren't one of those ultra-lightweight hikers, lol.
I kid. I am not one of those guys who counts half ounces, my equipment weighs what it weighs. The key is to not carry things you don't need like two sets of cooking pots or a full bottle of booze that I was too exhausted to drink once I got to the top. Yes my first "hike" was a real learning experience. Thanks for the pics.

Yep, too many multiples is where it gets too heavy. My stepbrother is the best example of that...go out for an overnighter, and have enough supplies for a week in total comfort.
At least you never run out of food when he's around. :thumbup:

Stabman, great pictorial review! Thanks for the mini-adventure too. I feel like I just got back from a little hike. [emoji41]

I always feel the same way when others share their adventures. :)

Definitely a well thought out design. The handle is very comfortable.
Definitely get one while you can.

Like your photos, great post.

Thanks!

Awesome post man, picked mine up a couple weeks ago, haven't gotten much chance to use it yet. Soon... You got the top eject scabbard too, I'm not a fan of the other one that mine came with, the blade cover is on a pivot and it has to be pivotted of and then the hawk comes out toward the front. Kind of hard to explain, but kind of a weird design

I was looking at the new design of sheath, and I'm glad I got the old one.
Some folks really prefer the new one though.

Interesting piece. I looked at them when they first came out. I might just have to pick one up before they are gone. Great pictures as usual.

Definitely time to buy one.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it being one of those hard to track down, and expensive to buy ones in a few years.
Kind of like the BRK&T Clax; it was a reasonable price when my wife bought one for me, but now they are practically impossible to find, and are selling for WAY more cash.

Back