"I just need to cut something."

Growing up in those years right after WW2, was like a different world. Life was way simpler than now, and I don't envy the kids that have to grow up in this complex world we have created.. There were not the many choices back then in most things.

Everybody drove a car. The only guys you saw with a truck of some kind were famers or tradesmen. There was no such thing as SUV's. If you needed a bit more room than a car gave you, then you got a station wagon. If once in a while the snow got too deep for the car to go, then you put chains on it and went. Yeah, life was simple.

Same with guns. Everybody had a .22. It was the standard, ubiquitous gun of the time. If you wanted something a bit bigger for serious defense, then you got a .38 revolver, either by Colt or Smith and Wesson. There was no Glocks, SIG's, or host of other tactical black auto's.

Then there were the knives. For some odd reason, there was a host of different knife patterns to choose from, unlike today where they all look very similar. The local hardware store had this huge display of Case knives. The neighborhood kids, myself included, would spend a great volume of time staring at the display behind the glass, thinking if we were rich, we could have any of them we wanted. It must have been on of the larger of the Case factory displays, because to our young minds it seemed like the King Soloman's mine of pocket knives. There were stockmen, trappers, muskrats, canoe's, serpintine jacks, sailors knives, sea scout knives, and pen knives of many shapes.

The last of course is called pen knives because in those days, it seemed like any small two bladed knife was called a 'pen knife' by the elders. The older men that we listened closely to for any gems of information that came our way. Men like the esteemed liers circle, or the hardware store loafers.

It was at this young age I got the lesson on how to pick a pocket knife. Sometimes as we were standing there transfixed by the wealth of cutlery in the Case display at the hardware store, a paying customer would come in. This was of note, because we would have to stand aside while he looked over the display with great gravity. Finally he would ask the clerk to see 'that one'. The one that for some reason caught his eye.

Sometimes a couple of different patterns would be tried out. The customer would try one in his hand, holding it different ways. Edge down, edge up, edge sideways, all the while with brow furrowed in deep thought, hand shifting around on the handle. Maybe a two blade serpentine jack, then a canoe, and maybe even a peanut. It seemed like the final choice was a very subjective thing on how it felt in hand. Of course the customer would look over the knife very carefully for fit and finish, but most men seemed like it was important how it felt more than how it looked. And most men of that time seemed wed to the small two blade jack of some sort, even if they did refer to it as a 'pen knfe'. It seemed to be the knife carried by office workers, milkmen, mailmen, and store clerks, and members of the liers circle. The kind of knife that could be dropped into the pants pockt and forgotton about untill needed. And in that day and age, if a man had pants on, he had a pocket knife in them. If they went hunting or fishing, then they carried a hunting or fishing knife for the occasion.

I once asked my dad why he carried his peanut. It seemed a little small even to my taste, and I wondered that he didn't carry a nice sturdy stockman or even a barlow. He kind of gave that enigmatic shrug of his, and said something I never forgot.

"Most times I have to cut somthing, I don't need a very big blade. And I don't want to lug around more tool than I need in my day to day life. My little knife does what I need. When I just need to cut something, it doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

Sometimes I think those old guys knew what side the bread was buttered on.

Last edited:
Age 16...first car was a 66 Plymouth Fury that burned leaded gas, a Colt Woodsman was my favorite pistol, and there was a barlow in my pocket.

Sometimes I do miss those days...thanks for bringing back memories...

I've just returned from a week-long vacation in New England. Between not being able to carry a knife onto the plane, not wanting to check baggage, and their seriously repressive knife laws, I decided to just go without a knife. I can't believe how many times during that week I reached for a knife "just to cut something," as you say. It felt like I was missing a part of myself. Even a small blade would have been a lot better than nothing at all.

Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't have preferred to have my 3.5"-bladed Gerber Freeman folder on me.

Thanks, Jackknife. Growing up, I had a mom and pop hardware store just down the road and your story brought back many memories. I used to spend hours just looking.
Now days you spend hours just trying to find what you are looking for and even the folks who work in these big stores don't know where it's at. Thanks for that little reminder of a simpler time.

I wish I could handle knives in person before buying instead of having to order online. There's only one or two hardware stores nearby that I can think of that has a display of pocket knives. Of course, there is this legendary knife shop an hour and a half away from where I live, but I haven't had the opportunity to make the trek.

My grandpa's knife, which I have in a cubby upstairs, is a tiny Boker pen knife. It got me into this knife knuttery. I haven't sharpened it and I don't carry it for fear of losing. It is missing its shield. Thought about buying a new one since the model is still in production (in Rosewood, my grandpa's is delrin). Eh, just talking to myself here, I realize...

Thanks for sharing, Jackknife.

Thanks for the great reading JK,
When I was growing up we had a Western Auto store in our small town. We spent many hours there looking over great stuff. Got my first Boy Scout Knife there. Dad bought me my first .22 there. It was a Ruger 10/22. Still have it. I hate to guess how many squirell, rabbit, chipmunk or bull frog was taken with it.
Yes that was a better time.

My first knife was an Imperial Cub Scout knife in 1964, one of those blue ones. I got my first Daisy BB gun at about 10, then a Winchester 22 with a clip, and a Savage double barrel 16 gauge when I was a Freshman. My first recollection of pocket knives was at all of the pawn shops, when my dad and I collected coins... they also had a lot of stilettos and switch blades. First fixed blade I used was my dad's Buck 118 Personal about 1967 or so. He gave to to me a few years ago. I remember my first pheasant, and my first duck with that 16 gauge. It was tight as hell and hard to hit a flying bird with. Thanks Carl, for sparking good memories this morning.

ahh...that's back in the time when tomatoe's were red and bricks were made of bricks.first car was a 36 plymouth flathead 6,first knife was a large case trapper.
in 54 i worked at a texaco gas station and gas was 15 cents a gallon,never see that again.

Brings back memories, living in Missouri, first knife was a little two blader (think it was a Case), Dad made sure I kept it sharp. Used to check it on the hair on his arm. First firearm was a pump .22 rifle...hell, I remember going to school in Missouri and Wyoming with a Buck 110 in my pocket without anyone freaking out if I used it...but things changed when I got to California, sheesh, you'd think people had never seen a knife before.

nice story. reminds me of walking over to the drug store to look at guns, knives and fishing tackle when I was little. my parents would occasionally forget me at the grocery store because I'd be busy poring over everything that used to be available for sale there.

Some good advice from your father jackknife. When you're a knife nut, it's hard to keep to the KISS method.

I'm only going to be 31 next month, and one of the things I miss most about a lot of hardware stores, is being able to walk up to the knife display and decide which knife I'm going to get. I can get any knife I want online within my budget, but there is something exciting about looking at the display case. Case, Buck, Victorinox, Schrade. Some basic models, hell, I look while I have a nice GEC, or Sebenza in my pocket.

Sadly, a lot of hardware stores have gotten rid of the timeless display. Replaced by Frost and clone multitool clampacks. The one up the road from me has a few Case left, when it sells out, that's it.

I love looking at knives at Cabelas and local knife shops when I can, but you just can't beat looking at that old display. I can't imagine how cool it must have been for the older gentlemen, with the wider variety and makers.

To add, there's nothing wrong with airguns, .22s and .410s.

Thanks jackknife. That reminds stories of what my mom tells me. She was born in 1944 and was raised in country side after poor and chaotic aftermath of WWII in here. She always tells how life was simplier and how every man or every true man made their own puukko's and how everyone had one. Even little kids of 5 years and up had puukko's and women too wore their puukko's.

Life indeed seemed more simplier... and perhaps more... satisfied back then. Thank you again jackknife.

Jackknife, my hubby has told me about standing in front of the Case knife display case at the feed store and the hardware store too. When he see this, memories will come back and I'll hear another story. Thanks!

jackknife i too grew up after ww2 & remember most of the small markets had their own butcher. we could always ask & receive a bone for the dogs . many of the hardware stores were floored in oiled wood & we would ogle the cases, ka-bars & westerns. the basic case jack was 1.50 but we did' nt have the money . everything was bought at the army store for pennies. surplus ww2 canteens & etc. nobody had much money but we did'nt really mind.

I love the stories you share with us, this being no exception. I'm not old enough to have experienced such a simpler and (most likely) happier time, but I often wish I was.

Great story. I was watching my dad use his Sears craftsman white handled stockman this weekend. It has a great looking patina on it.

These stories are a sort of living memory, a reminder of the way things were. They have value to the online knife community. Thanks for posting them.

"Most times I have to cut somthing, I don't need a very big blade. And I don't want to lug around more tool than I need in my day to day life. My little knife does what I need. When I just need to cut something, it doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

My thinking is the exact same way when it comes to knives. Thanks for sharing that Jack Knife.

I am sure that in 30 years time I will be telling my grandkids how in the old days the internet was much simpler, you had a keyboard and a mouse not some fangled gizmo that plugs into your spine and I will see their faces as they wonder what a mouse was doing anywhere near a computer :)

I like the idea of the old days, the simple life, but in truth I think the simple life was a hard life that I would be too soft to really enjoy. My Gran was brought up on a farm and I have listened to her stories, life wasn't easy. I think I would have to be born into it for it to feel like I wasn't missing something.

Tam

Back