I just ordered......

a KF 22.5 10"Wx6.5"Hx22.5"D w/ Rampmaster control 240v from Tracy today! I can finally quit eating tuna fish for lunch every day!!:barf: I am pretty exited about this. Now I just got to figure out how to make the oven work.:confused: Its going to be sharing a 220 outlet with my grinder for now, but I can't wait to get it up and going. Thanks for listening.:thumbup:

You're gunna love it!! Just read the directions, and play with it awhile. It is really easy to work, but just takes a doing to get used to it. Congrats!

Welcome to the next level sir! :)

Just keep the cheat sheet that ships with it handy and you'll be fine...

-d

Used mine for the first time today; purchased from Tracy also. Everything went pretty well, currently tempering.

x2 about the cheat sheet.

( solo guitar).... Livin' on the road my friend, is gonna make you free and clean, now you wear your skin like iron, Your breath as hard as kerosene.....

Way to go Pancho. Things will change a lot once you get used to it.

( mariachi joins in).......Pancho was a bandit boy, his horse was fast as polished steel......

So how do you guys drop the quenching temp down to tempering temp fast enough so you can put your quenched blade(s) in for tempering?

Thats one of my favorite songs Stacy!
Phil that is the question going through my mind. lol

So how do you guys drop the quenching temp down to tempering temp fast enough so you can put your quenched blade(s) in for tempering?

If your smart you dont, you get your self a toaster Oven for carbon steels, less than 500*F.

For SS I use the higher tempering temps most of the time so it doesnt have to cool far, just leave the door open but it still takes a bit and you can make the heat element go out faster this way too. get an extra one and keep one on hand.

I work with 01. After hardening I crack the door open for maybe 30 minutes, then open all the way. After the temp drops to 250°, I re-program for temper. I add 10 minutes to the temper time in order to allow the oven to adjust itself to the set temp, because it will overheat about 15/20° before it drops down to the set temp. Then I put the blades in. I realize the coils will not last as long by doing this, but I will just buy new ones when they go out. They have so far lasted about 3 1/2 or 4 years I think it is now.

I posted the same question last week on the other forum. The consensus is that the oven does not cool fast enough, that leaving the door open to cool the oven will shorten element life, etc...

So I stole my wifes toaster oven.:rolleyes:

I posted the same question last week on the other forum. The consensus is that the oven does not cool fast enough, that leaving the door open to cool the oven will shorten element life, etc...

So I stole my wifes toaster oven.:rolleyes:

don't leave the door open to try to cool it down. You'll end up shocking the hell out of the bricks and eventually you'll get some CRACK from hell :) (ask me how i know lol)

I had the notion to try tempering the blades ASAP! but you can't with one kiln....so by another kiln! :) Or do a snap temper with a toaster oven or the kitchen oven.

your grinder plug is a NEMA 6-20P ?

What was the price difference between the 22.5" and the 27" model?

Awesome, Frank!! It's a great oven; I've really enjoyed mine though I just haven't used it enough. I printed out the user's manual and put it in a folder just to have on hand.

Enjoy!

--Nathan

don't leave the door open to try to cool it down. You'll end up shocking the hell out of the bricks and eventually you'll get some CRACK from hell :) (ask me how i know lol)

I had the notion to try tempering the blades ASAP! but you can't with one kiln....so by another kiln! :) Or do a snap temper with a toaster oven or the kitchen oven.

your grinder plug is a NEMA 6-20P ?

What was the price difference between the 22.5" and the 27" model?

So after heat treating a blade you supposed to leave the door shut and let it cool off slowly?

( solo guitar).... Livin' on the road my friend, is gonna make you free and clean, now you wear your skin like iron, Your breath as hard as kerosene.....

Way to go Pancho. Things will change a lot once you get used to it.

( mariachi joins in).......Pancho was a bandit boy, his horse was fast as polished steel......

:DLike

Yep leave the door shut and let it cool slowly.
Stan

take your blades out and try to close the door in between blades if it takes you awhile to take them out. That way you don't give the bricks a heart attack with the sudden cold air hitting them. If you put a hot firebrick on the concrete floor (which is room temperature) you bet it's gonna CRACK! This way you can prolong the elements and the firebrick.

Gotcha! I need to test the temps on the toaster oven I have for kydex work. Worse case the kitchen oven will have to do.

Back