I need a new knife to cut boxes

Cyo

Soon I expect to be helping a couple of friends move. This will involve lots of box cutting. While I could use any number of my current knives, that's certainly less fun than buying a new knife. I could also just get a box cutter, but waste a perfectly good opportunity to buy a new knife.

So, I need a knife that will excel at only one task--cutting cardboard and tape. Edge retention is the highest priority. It will not be used for prying. There will be no battoning in this knife's future. It need not be easy to resharpen. It does need to come sharp out of the box and it needs to hold that cardboard cutting edge for a long time. I'm leaning toward something like a Spyderco Delica4 with the ZDP-189 blade since I don't have one in that steel, but that's just one idea.

I'd like it to be under $150. It can be a small fixed blade that comes with a handy sheath or a folder. For folders, lock type won't really matter because, again, I'll just be cutting boxes and tape.

Thanks.

The thinner the better for cardboard boxes, too thick and the blade will just bind and cause hand fatigue. Cardboard really blunts knives because they contain lots of impurities including silicates in the cheap material.

If you don't want to use a box knife, then a smaller Mora works very well. If you want a folder, then something with a thin billhook or sheepsfoot should work fine.

well you must have a higher budget than me cause I would just buy a box cutter :D no but I would go for the spyderco they are great knives.

You've got the right idea with the ZDP-189 Delica. Spyderco also makes a ZDP Dragonfly, in case you're interested in that. And then, there's also the Spyderco Native 5 Forum Knife in S110V. With the 40% off coupon code, the price is right at your $150 limit. Great deal.

Bark River also makes a few small fixed blades in S35VN and 3V. The knives seem too thick to function well as box cutters, though they'd probably do alright.
[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot Reinhard Muller's line of S90V folders!

[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]
[REMOVED]

To be honest, though, it strikes me as somewhat of a waste to buy any of the above knives, and then use them only as box cutters. Why not EDC 'em, too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Cold Steel mini tuff, about $30 and will be a great box cutter that will be useable for other knife duties after the move. Take the other $125 bucks and buy some adult beverages and some aspirin. Should take care of the day.

Blessings,

Omar

Spyderco Military is a good thin box cutting blade. S30V is good enough super steel.

DSC09785.JPG

Get a Cold Steel mini tuff, about $30 and will be a great box cutter that will be useable for other knife duties after the move. Take the other $125 bucks and buy some adult beverages and some aspirin. Should take care of the day.

Blessings,

Omar

Agreed 100%. I tried (really I did) not to use my tuff for anything but carving wood, but I just couldn't help it. I truly believe that all knife nuts should grab one. They are amazingly thin behind the edge (way thinner than anything else I have) and just excel at things like cutting cardboard. The steel is only aus8, but it's such a good and thin cutter that it doesn't matter. Really. I used mine extensively at work the last three 13 hour shifts and it's still razor sharp.

The only thing I'd change about Omar's recommendation is to get the bigger one instead of the mini. Unless it's thicker behind the edge (I doubt it, and btw it's a very deep hollow grind) then I'd go with that. The mini is a fantastic knife, especially for the $24 (shipped) that I payed for it, but at just over 1" the blade is a tad short for hard work. Otoh that's about the same length as a boxcutter blade so it would depend on your preferences.

Even if you choose a different knife I'd still pick one of these up. :)

Mine after a little modding:

IMAG0898_zps7f8fe350.jpg

The only thing I'd change about Omar's recommendation is to get the bigger one instead of the mini. Unless it's thicker behind the edge (I doubt it, and btw it's a very deep hollow grind) then I'd go with that.

The regular Tuff Lite is similarly paper thin behind the edge. The secondary bevel from the factory (on mine at least) was also only around 25* included. Nice slicer.

FFG Delica cuts boxes very well indeed. Yes, a box cutter works best, but this is new knife justification and we all understand that syndrome. Get the ZDP FFG Delica, you will love it.

I find usually my hand starts to fatigue before the blade loses its edge if I'm cutting lots (several dozens) of boxes using something with a thinner handle. While I like the thinner handle for regular carrying, it really isn't ideal for long repeated cutting. For 5 or 10 boxes, it's no big deal. As the number of boxes and the duration of cutting increases, though, having a more comfortable handle will make a bigger difference.

To that effect, the large Griptilian (551) works really well for me. Ritter version should be great too. The Mora also works very well at breaking down boxes (several, like the 711, have a semi-soft rubber grip, which also helps alleviate fatigue). The Kershaw Needs Work (with the rounded FRN handles) also works very well on boxes and pretty comfortable in hand, although the handle isn't as long as the large Grip or Mora, which may be a concern depending on how big your hands are.

A FFG Delica or Endura in ZDP-189 would be awesome (Delica is one of my favorite knife designs), but again, the thinner handles might result in you wearing down before the blade does. The Stretch does have a wider handle and may be an alternative (also available in FFG and ZDP-189). Or maybe something with a M4 blade (Gayle Bradley, Contego)? I don't have first-hand experience with either of those, so I don't know how they compare handle-wise.

Last edited:
I think a spyderco mule with handles would be a good choice b/c it is a FFG with a big handle and pointy tip.
Wharncliff blades are best for box cutting. Kershak leek or random task? If it had better blade steel the Needs Work would be perfect.

Last edited:
Haha funny nobody has mentioned the Spyderco Yojimbo 2 terrific in all aspects and alot of fun to play with, definately won't be a one time user ;)

(not my image)

C85GP2[large].jpg

I prefer the Endura in ZDP -189 for working with cardboard boxes.
The ergonomics / blade length are better suited to the task than the Delica, IMO.

My best box cutter , mostly breaking down recycle boxes. is my S30V Kershaw Leek. Good edge holder, thin, good handle. Try it out.

Serrated Atlantic Salt. Or a snap-off utility blade and a bunch of replacements.

26° bevel, micro'ed at 30° with sharpmaker brown rods. After 400 cuts, it no longer shaves but still cuts cardboard without tearing. Good enough, if you ask me. ;)

GreenEndura1_zpsf29b89db.jpg

I use my Sage, edge lasts a few days till it starts ripping cardboard, Opinel would last the day of moving probably, nice thin stock, geometry works, especially with a thin bevel.

Back