1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

I need a new knife to cut boxes

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Cyo, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    buy a mora or an opinel. That way, when you destroy it cutting cardboard, you won't be out much money. :D

2. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    Spyderco Chaparral. You can't beat that thin blade for a slicer/box cutter.

3. The-Stig

The-Stig

Jul 7, 2012
    Gonna have to side with the guys mentioning ZDP-189. Pick yourself up a Spyderco doublestuff while you're at it. Put that in your pocket and when you start to feel the edge dulling, just pass the knife over that a couple times and you're good as new.

4. Cyo

Cyo Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't need a new knife, but why pass up an easy way to rationalize the expense? Sure, I just got a new Izula 2 and ZT 0561 but a good excuse to buy another knife can't be wasted.

I also don't want to dull up one of my common EDCs--a variety of GEC slip joints, the ZT, or my Gail Bradley Air. My wife gave me a lovely little GEC Easy Open Jack that I used on my last packing/boxing chores. While I loved using the little knife, it just didn't hold an edge that long. It's great for my daily use needs but I want more edge holding if I'm going to be doing a lot of box cutting.

5. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    Your Gayle Bradley Air would be the perfect box cutter.
    M4 holds a great edge, sharpens up easy, and takes a great edge.
    You should use that.

But if you really want another, I say try and pick up the Titanium Spyderco Chaparral in CTS-XHP.

6. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    It's hard to beat the Spyderco Military in S30V as a cardboard knife, that's what I use at work.

7. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. That is the knife I grab when I know I'm going to have to cut a lot of cardboard.

8. agile_1

agile_1

Dec 2, 2012
    Razor knife. Get em a Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store.

9. Hairlesstwinkie

Hairlesstwinkie

Feb 4, 2013
    maybe a mini or regular onslaught?

10. Swoop03

Swoop03

Dec 1, 2012
    Some one here mentioned the G10 S30V leek, that would be a good option. Nice fine tip, thin blade, and S30V is very decent with edge retention in cardboard. Kershaw is pretty good with sharpening too so it should be just fine out of box. The random leek has s30v as well I believe. They also made a composite one with the 13c26? back and a d2 edge. It is thin but it seems to be pretty comfy. I just got an all black one and I've been using it pretty hard with yard work the past few days and I haven't thought it was uncomfortable yet. I even spent the time to cut up an old fence board with it just to use my knife. It was only about a foot long and 1/4 inch thick. I had to sharpen it though, there was a hidden nail in that board. Flush with both ends it rotted off but there was still enough of a piece in there to find my edge and chip it.

11. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm with them, for chopping up cardboard a full size CS Tuff Lite will slice like a champ. Small in the pocket, but with the choil you have a comfortable grip and a great shape, with a small straight blade that is definitely thin and slicey (why aren't slicey or stabby real words?). Locks up like a little tank and costs less than $25 as well, so it's pretty hard to go wrong with it.

I liked the ones I use to carve wood so much that I bought a pair for other work uses. Great little knives . . .

12. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    Speaking of cutting boxes, we just had this bit of artwork delivered to my house today and I had to take-down the box. The outside box was 4'x5' with 2 additional boxes nestled inside. This cardboard appliance box grade and really heavy stuff. When all the cutting was done, I had filled our 96gallon recycle bin with cardboard.

I chose a box cutter, my Spydie Tasman Salt, Muskrat Man Puukko and my Mora #1 for the work. Of course the box cutter was easiest to use and just zipped through the cardboard, even when cutting against the corrugation. Second was the Tasman Salt, which cuts well because the hooked curve always put the cutting edge against the material -and I think that the work-hardened H1 steel probably keeps a better edge than the other steels. Next was the Puukko followed by the thinner Mora #1, probably because I had just stropped the puukko and the Mora probably needed a touch-up before I started.

If you want a new folder, consider a hookbill, if you just want to cut boxes, go with a boxcutter.

4x5 box.jpg 4 knives.jpg cutting.jpg

13. Clang!

Clang!

Jul 26, 2010
    Why not just do both? Get a folding utility knife like a Super Knife, Gerber EAB, Bessey, etc. Drop a premium blade like a Lenox gold or Clauss titanium into it and you're good to go.

14. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    Any one of these.

PM2
    BM Griptilian

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. gine

gine

Sep 2, 2007
    Three that come mind in that price range:
    Caly 3.5 zdp
    Zdp endura ffg
    Chokwe.

I re-ground my s30v military and PM2 to .008 inches and caly 3.5 vg-10 to .003. And they glide through cardboard like butter. For slicing cardboard the edges seem to be holding up longer then stock geometry, I guess because there is next to no resistance.
    I think cardboard is my favorite material to cut!

16. Hawk45

Hawk45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2005
    ZDP Stretch

17. NeedItCheaper

NeedItCheaper

Jun 17, 2012
    I second this. And since you said box cutter, I would get something like a Lansky Diamond sharpener kit. At the end of the day with heavy box butting, maybe 3-4minutes of work will be perfect. Some will come back and say they do it free hand and get sharpness that cuts air in half with less than 5 min of work. I just say what has been my experience.

18. Bryan J

Bryan J

Apr 16, 2010
    I'd go with the ESEE Junglas here.

[​IMG]

19. timbit

timbit

Jul 21, 2011
    I wouldn't buy a nice knife for box cutting.

I use either a Gerber, or a Greenlee Heavy-Duty Folding Utility Knife. Folding utility knives are fantastic 'throw aways' that feel like a real knives. I carry one of these and a BHK all the time at work. The BHK for tasks more appropriate to a nice knife, and everything else (large gauge wire stripping, box cutting, insulation cutting etc etc, I use my utility knife. )