I need a portable, light, two sided flat sharpening stone.... help?

Diomedes Industries

Gold Member
Basic Member
I would like something that will sharpen my O1 scandi ground knives. I want something packable, light, and good quality. I would like it to be two sided: Diamond on one side, ceramic on the other.

Any suggestions?

TF

I've been searching for those Fallkniven sharpeners a long time, but they always seem to be out of stock everywhere :mad:

I like the two-sided folding diamond hones that DMT makes. You can get your choice of coarse/fine, fine/extra-fine, etc.

For ceramic honing, I have one of those little short ones that is more or less key chain size. Handy....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I like the two-sided folding diamond hones that DMT makes. You can get your choice of coarse/fine, fine/extra-fine, etc.

For ceramic honing, I have one of those little short ones that is more or less key chain size. Handy....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

The DMT Diafolds ROCK. They have an extra-fine diamond/extra-extra-fine ceramic one if that's what you're looking for.

41NR0D0EQ8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Coarse/Fine (blue/red) one seems to be something of a community favorite, though.

Sheesh,

I was just sent one of those DMT stones by DMT.

I will give that a try - but I did order the DC4 to give a spin too.

TF

Let us know what you think of the DMT, TF. I've used a lot of things for sharpening over the years, but the DMT Diafolds, followed by a strop, are my favorites. Hope they work as well for you.

I have been using the falkniven DC4 for several years now. They are fantastic. I ordered two when I first found them in stock somewhere and still haven't had to get out the unused one. They produce a better edge on my forged 5160 blades than a strop for some reason. Should work quickly and very well on O-1.

I have a DC-4 and it's awsome - I use it to sharpen anything - from folders to axes and machetes.And it works good on a wide variety of steels - from simple carbon steel to 154 CM and even S30V if the grind is nice and thin :thumbup:

DC-4 + Stropping and yu're good to go !

The DMT Diafolds ROCK. They have an extra-fine diamond/extra-extra-fine ceramic one if that's what you're looking for.

41NR0D0EQ8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Coarse/Fine (blue/red) one seems to be something of a community favorite, though.

Just got the course/fine version a month ago. Now I don't want to use anything else.

Just got the course/fine version a month ago. Now I don't want to use anything else.

It's a good combo isn't it? I especially like using them on long blades since you can use them like a file (bringing the stone to the blade, not the other way 'round)! :thumbup:

TF, I bought a 2 sided diamond stone from Ragweedforge.com and it works great. One side is 600 and the other is 1200. Its $19, 4 inches long, and it's only 1/16th in thick!
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SharpeningCatalog.html
I don't use the 600 much unless I'm repairing a big ding in the field but the 1200 puts a great shaving edge on my scandi's in the field when they need to be touched up.

Back