I need a portable, light, two sided flat sharpening stone.... help?

There is a spyderco double stuff flat stone that rocks my world. It is about 1 x 4 or six. I use it just about every time I go out on a long stay in the field. It sharpened everything in Peru and still begs for more, plus you don't need water to use it. If I had to pick one sharpener for the rest of my life, that would be it.

http://woodsmonkey.com/index.php?op...4:spyderco-ceramics&catid=34:knives&Itemid=55

doublestuff.jpg

303MF_L.jpg

There is a spyderco double stuff flat stone that rocks my world. It is about 1 x 4 or six. I use it just about every time I go out on a long stay in the field. It sharpened everything in Peru and still begs for more, plus you don't need water to use it. If I had to pick one sharpener for the rest of my life, that would be it.

http://woodsmonkey.com/index.php?op...4:spyderco-ceramics&catid=34:knives&Itemid=55

doublestuff.jpg

303MF_L.jpg
Those are great, i've had one for ...hmmm 10 years?
Up until i bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker (about a year ago) the double stuff was my primary sharpener.

Good sharpener! It's actually the next thing I need to pick up--that and a set of their ceramic files.:thumbup:

It's a good combo isn't it? I especially like using them on long blades since you can use them like a file (bringing the stone to the blade, not the other way 'round)! :thumbup:

Yea, works out great that way on a longer blade. My Bark River Golok has never been so sharp. Call me a dork, but I really enjoy sharpening with this bugger. I need to go dull up some knives this weekend so I have a reason to use it again.

G'day TF

Just saw it - Fallkniven Dc3 and Dc4.

Any experience with it - anyone?

I have been using both for a number of years now, so yes I have experience with them.

The diamond side is 25 micron. No idea what the equivalent is for the ceramic side.

The diamond side is on the agressive side and would only really be needed for removing chips.

The ceramic side is mostly what I've used to touch up an edge in the field and will leave a reasonably polished edge :thumbup:

If you know what you are doing (isn't that always the case :D) you can effectively & quickly maintain a convex edge with one.

The DC3 stays in my fishing bag and it's smaller size is handy for putting a wicked point on a fish hook :thumbup:

If there is anything in particular you want to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards
Mick

I have both the DC4 & 3. Both work really well. The DC3 is the same size as most the stone pouches on some knife sheaths ( IE; my USAF survival "bolt" knife And an old AlMar sere I have ) Which makes it very small and convenient to carry. There are probably better sharpeners but I doubt any that small, that work that well.
Carl

Back