I need some opinions: Spyderco Sage 3 CF

Hey guys,
I'm really interested in the Sage 3 in carbon fiber, but I can't seem to find anything on Youtube about it (I'll always watch reviews on a knife before making a decision, to get a better look of it and hear people's opinions). Since it's a new design, their isn't much info about it on the web. Does it have liners? If you guys could provide me some pictures of it I'd really appreciate it. I'd also like to hear your personal opinion on it and your opinion of it compared to other Sages.
Thanks!

nutnfancy has a video up on all three of the sages. you should check that out, he has some good info

nutnfancy has a video up on all three of the sages. you should check that out, he has some good info

Yeah I saw that video, but he doesn't cover the Sage 3 with the carbon fiber handles, which is new for 2014 :(.

No liners...it's definitely my smoothest Spyderco, but I don't have many pictures of it yet. I'll snap a few more in a bit and post them back here for you.

Yes it does have recessed liners like the paramilitary 2 has!

I think the sage 3 is among the most under priced and under rated Spydercos to date. The new sage 3 with CF scales is a little less grippy than the blue g10 version but more than adaquate. I can't give you a comparison to the other sages because I own the S3s (2 g10 and 1 CF) due to my dislike of mid locks, frame locks and liners locks. I can say if you like the benchmade axis lock at all then definitely try a S3! The fit and finish on all of my Taichung Taiwan models has been absolutely perfect to a point I didn't think possible on a production folder. If you were to take a benchmade griptillian apart then do likewise to a sage 3; you would expect a $100 price difference not $20. That said the sage 3 is not for the faint of heart to disassemble. There are many smaller machined parts. If you get one use dry lube or no lube at all. Otherwise grit gets stuck and is not as easily flushed out as an open back design. The full back spacer makes the knife feel great in hand and looks almost seamlessly machined. The great deal of machine work in the knife is in large part why I like it so much. I used to work as a machinist and it blows my mind that they can sell this knife for around $130. OK enough rambling!
FDE out!

Yes, it has nested liners and, like all the Sage series knives, it is extremely well built. I'm not crazy about the pattern of the CF, but that's probably because I don't care for argyle.

It is extremely well built, feels great in the hand and is the smoooothest Sage of all the group IMO.

Sage 3 is an awsome knife. Very underrated. It is my number 2 favorite knife. It took me a long time to pull the trigger and buy it because there wasnt many reviews and stuff like you said on youtube but i bought it and dont regret it at all. Smoothest knife i own. Perfect edc knife. Perfect in every way. The bolt action lock smooth as butter. Easiest knife to operate that ive ever owned. Buy it, you will not be dissappointed.

I think the sage 3 is among the most under priced and under rated Spydercos to date. The new sage 3 with CF scales is a little less grippy than the blue g10 version but more than adaquate. I can't give you a comparison to the other sages because I own the S3s (2 g10 and 1 CF) due to my dislike of mid locks, frame locks and liners locks. I can say if you like the benchmade axis lock at all then definitely try a S3! The fit and finish on all of my Taichung Taiwan models has been absolutely perfect to a point I didn't think possible on a production folder. If you were to take a benchmade griptillian apart then do likewise to a sage 3; you would expect a $100 price difference not $20. That said the sage 3 is not for the faint of heart to disassemble. There are many smaller machined parts. If you get one use dry lube or no lube at all. Otherwise grit gets stuck and is not as easily flushed out as an open back design. The full back spacer makes the knife feel great in hand and looks almost seamlessly machined. The great deal of machine work in the knife is in large part why I like it so much. I used to work as a machinist and it blows my mind that they can sell this knife for around $130. OK enough rambling!
FDE out!

I've never owned or handled or handled a Benchmade before. The closest thing to the S3's lock I've had experience with is the plunger lock on SOG folders (Flash II, Aegis, Trident), which probably isn't similar at all, just the same position on the handle. If I were to purchase the S3 it would be my first Spyderco (I've handled a Tenacious and a Byrd CaraCara2 before though) and definitely the most money I've ever spent on a knife (I know, I'm a newb :p). Are the liners milled out? I kind of wish it was part flow-through construction like on the Manix models. I don't know, but for some reason I don't really like full backspacer. I like the lock though, mostly because of the enjoyment factor, but also because of easy one-hand closing.

I wish they made it in black G10 with steel liners. I really love the feel of G10, and the carbon fiber pattern is just a little weird to me (I'm growing to like it though; more classy IMO), and a blackened pocket clip like this and, boom, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_sage3_closed.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a sage 2 last year. Loved it but I don't carry it often. I'm also a huge benchmade/axis lock addict. And I know the sage 3 lock isn't the same, the user function is similar. I couldn't bring myself to buy a sage 3 because of the blue handle. It killed it for me. When they came out with the carbon I was all over it. I already owned a chaparral in carbon, and I prefer the chaps patter better, but I knew I would love the sage 3 cf. And I do.

I am not a huge liner lock fan, so the sage 1 was a non starter for me and there is really nothing about the 4 I am drawn to. In summary, I love the sage 3 and sage 2 with the edge going to the 3.

I've never owned or handled or handled a Benchmade before. The closest thing to the S3's lock I've had experience with is the plunger lock on SOG folders (Flash II, Aegis, Trident), which probably isn't similar at all, just the same position on the handle. If I were to purchase the S3 it would be my first Spyderco (I've handled a Tenacious and a Byrd CaraCara2 before though) and definitely the most money I've ever spent on a knife (I know, I'm a newb :p). Are the liners milled out? I kind of wish it was part flow-through construction like on the Manix models. I don't know, but for some reason I don't really like full backspacer. I like the lock though, mostly because of the enjoyment factor, but also because of easy one-hand closing.

Yes the liners are milled out making a knife supprisingly light for its size and construction. I agree with you on the black g10 and dark clip would be awesome. I wouldn't worry about the closed back construction, just don't use wet oils to lube the pivot. I did this with my first S3 and it got gritty from dirt sticking to the oil. Since cleaning ive used tuff glide and not had any problems with a gritty action. If you are dead set against the closed back then take a look at the g10 manix 2 which is another great knife. Whatever you get I doubt it will be your last spyderco!

Smooth, very smooth. Sharp, slices effortlessly and has some great ergos. The clip is tight with a beauty rounded handle to aid your hand in as you reach for pocket items (a favorite feature). The lock is fluid, and effective restricting blade play in all directions. It also is a ton of fun to deploy and super fun to play with, but this is where the wheels fall off! It rattles...... rattles bad, only after about a year in my rotation, I HATE rattly knives. Not that the function is hampered, or it all of a sudden won't cut, just makes my skin crawl. It is currently in the for sale pile, ready for a new pocket where rattling is no big deal!!

Smooth, very smooth. Sharp, slices effortlessly and has some great ergos. The clip is tight with a beauty rounded handle to aid your hand in as you reach for pocket items (a favorite feature). The lock is fluid, and effective restricting blade play in all directions. It also is a ton of fun to deploy and super fun to play with, but this is where the wheels fall off! It rattles...... rattles bad, only after about a year in my rotation, I HATE rattly knives. Not that the function is hampered, or it all of a sudden won't cut, just makes my skin crawl. It is currently in the for sale pile, ready for a new pocket where rattling is no big deal!!

Does it rattle when closed? That would be a huge turn off for me.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yes the liners are milled out making a knife supprisingly light for its size and construction. I agree with you on the black g10 and dark clip would be awesome. I wouldn't worry about the closed back construction, just don't use wet oils to lube the pivot. I did this with my first S3 and it got gritty from dirt sticking to the oil. Since cleaning ive used tuff glide and not had any problems with a gritty action. If you are dead set against the closed back then take a look at the g10 manix 2 which is another great knife. Whatever you get I doubt it will be your last spyderco!

I've checked out the Manix 2. It looks like an amazing knife (cheaper than the Sage too) but I like the overall look of the Sage more; it just more classy, and not as "tacticool".

I had no idea there was a Sage 3 CF. But I don't care for that CF pattern. Looks like an Indian blanket to me. :confused: But I do love my Sage 1 and 2, and would love a Sage 3 G10.

No rattles here either in my 3 examples. I'd be curious to know where the rattling is coming from. My guess is one of the studs for the lock has loosened a little. Each of the studs are a separate threaded peice that thread into a barrel going through the bolt. The studs are what keep the cover plates tight. One or both of these plates are what I suspect you are hearing rattle.

Back