I need some opinions: Spyderco Sage 3 CF

Does it rattle when closed? That would be a huge turn off for me.

Anyone else had this problem?
FWIW, I have both the original blue G-10 and the new CF versions of the Sage 3 and neither one rattles in either the open or closed position.

If I could find a blue G10 version for a good price maybe I'd considering RIT dyeing the handles black. That would look pretty sweet. Maybe I'll see if I can find any used ones for sale on the forums. I only need a membership to sell stuff, not to buy stuff right?

Last edited:
Interesting.... i'll have to do surgery on her tonight, see if I can find that rattle. Thanks guys!

The only thing keeping my CF Sage3 out of my pocket is the Domino I got within a month of each other. I would have to say the Domino, PM2, and Sage3 CF are my favourite 3 knives. I have both the blue G10 and black CF versions and they are identical for all intensive purposes except the G10 is a bit grippier but the CF is less likely to show wear or dirt. The bolt-action lock isn't as easy to actuate as an axis lock but it feels so much more solid.

sage3cf1-L.jpg

sage3cf2-L.jpg

Just found this thread after doing a little research on the Sage 3. Looks as though it has been discontinued for a while and is pretty hard to find used examples. That being said I see a few on eBay for a little more than $250. Is that a fair price nowadays?

Seems high. It's a nice knife. I really like the lock. But it's taller than the other Sage knives. It carries more like a Manix.

I found a new one for ~$160 last year. That place seems to be gone. I did see it in stock new at one place for $260. Good dealer with very high prices on everything. Don't think I can post the name here. They appear to be out in the country (hint).

You may find one at a more reasonable price if you do some searching.

Last edited:
Just found this thread after doing a little research on the Sage 3. Looks as though it has been discontinued for a while and is pretty hard to find used examples. That being said I see a few on eBay for a little more than $250. Is that a fair price nowadays?
Not sure why I'm surprised but I can't believe people are asking that much for a CF Sage 3. I have one and like it (along with all the other Sages) but I'd never pay that much for one. Have you considered one of the other Sage models?

Back