I oiled my knife an broke it

I have 2 leaks (leeks?) I sharpened them and sprayed the moving parts with rem oil and now they don't open with the spring. I tried cleaning them and no luck.

Did I break it? :confused:

David

Did you make sure to disengage the safety? It could be possible that the springs broke. If that's the case, give Kershaw a call and ask for some torsion bars. They'll be happy to send them out to you for free.

I have 2 leaks (leeks?) I sharpened them and sprayed the moving parts with rem oil and now they don't open with the spring. I tried cleaning them and no luck.

Did I break it? :confused:

David
Did you disassemble them? Oil will not break a knife ;)

No dissasembly until after it would not work. It just does not spring open like it did. I have two, both did the same thing. I'm a putz.

NICE knife, but operator error must be the problem.

I sharpened the blade to 19* on a Getco (like a lansky) and sprayed it with rem oil in the pivot.

After that it will not open under its own power. I tried cleaning the oil out with an alcohol based spray solvent. No luck.

I am dumb enough to do it to two, both same result.

I was reading here in a different post what is the difference in a 1660CB and a 1660CBSO.
The answer is $50.00 :D

Disassemble, clean thoroughly, lightly lube, reassemble, don't over tighten pivot. If that fails, send them back to Kerahaw, they'll fix you up.

Do you mean that the blade is stiff to open, or there is NO spring action at all?
Make sure the spring is fitted into the blade and the other end into the slot

In my experience, RemOil makes things rougher until it has dried.
I would drip RemOil on a knife and the action would instantly be rougher and grittier.
Once it dried (~24hours), leaving it's thin layer of Teflon, everything was good.

I use Extreme Fluoro grease now.

Take them apart and make sure the torsion bar is installed correctly and not broken. If you already took them apart and they still don't spring open, the pivot is probably too tight. Loosen the pivot.

A CB Leek is the composite blade and the CBSO is the same, but the Snap On version. Prices may vary.

I need to loosen the pivot. I have the proper torx bit but the whole round thing turns on the other side.

How do I keep it from spinning when I turn the torx?

You folks are a bunch of help so far.

I also have a 1620FLSO that works great even after oiling.

No the safty is not on. :rolleyes: Kinda like when some asks me why their car quit, my first question is does it have gas?
Spring is not broken.

The blade has NO slop, so the pivot is probably too tight. It wants to open, but won't.

Thanks so far
David

I need to loosen the pivot. I have the proper torx bit but the whole round thing turns on the other side.

How do I keep it from spinning when I turn the torx?

You folks are a bunch of help so far.

I also have a 1620FLSO that works great even after oiling.

No the safty is not on. :rolleyes: Kinda like when some asks me why their car quit, my first question is does it have gas?
Spring is not broken.

Thanks so far
David

Hmmm. I had a Kershaw Avalanche whose pivot would spin like that. What I did was flick it open hard, put the blade edge against something (like a piece of wood), like I was going to cut into it, apply cutting pressure and unscrew the pivot. You want to do whatever you can to bind up the pivot. Maybe try some sideways pressure. I hope I've made sense.
Be safe. Good luck. :)

GOT IT!
There was some junk in there. Just need to get some locktite. When I tighte
n the three screws it still binds up a little.

NCM_0009-L.jpg

Thanks Bunches!

Make sure to give your torsion bar some grease. It'll need it. Not much, but a little.

that is alot of debris, it should smooth out now. So is that from the REMoil?

that is alot of debris, it should smooth out now. So is that from the REMoil?

I'd say its a combo of the rem oil and white grease from the factory being sprayed with the alcohol solvent.

Now that you have it apart, What I would do/ have done, is take a dremel to the round pivot and put a notch in it for a flat head screwdriver and then its easily adjusted and hidden under the clip if you leave it tip down.

Also when reapplying the loctite (blue is best) use only the head of a toothpick and maybe even less than that. It doesn't take much and if you overdo it you have a higher risk of stripping the head on the next dissassembly.

Also if you over tighten the pivot screw it will be a bit sluggish opening. Lol with the pivot screw it takes some fine tuning to get it where you like.

All fixed. I did all three. Took them apart, cleaned and just a little lube.

When I tighten the three screws, the action becomes sluggish, so I used a little locktite. Torqued the three screws and backed them out about 1/2 turn. Locktite will keep them there. I used the knife to cut my porterhouse steak cooked on a lump charcoal fire with fresh roasted sweet corn and a home brew.

I have quite a few Kershaw knives.
1620FLSO
1660BR
1660CBSO
and a really big one that only has the # 1060 on it.

I also have a multitool that is like vice grips along with a screwdriver attachment.

Thanks for the help.

David

All fixed. I did all three. Took them apart, cleaned and just a little lube.

When I tighten the three screws, the action becomes sluggish, so I used a little locktite. Torqued the three screws and backed them out about 1/2 turn. Locktite will keep them there. I used the knife to cut my porterhouse steak cooked on a lump charcoal fire with fresh roasted sweet corn and a home brew.

I have quite a few Kershaw knives.
1620FLSO
1660BR
1660CBSO
and a really big one that only has the # 1060 on it.

I also have a multitool that is like vice grips along with a screwdriver attachment.

Thanks for the help.

David

1620FLSO: Scallion framelock snap-on?

1660BR: Leek red smoked

1660CBSO: Composite blade leek snap-on

1060: Black horse

Glad we could help!

Back