I pawned my knives--I feel so naked.

Given the fact he said PAWN, we, as well as the OP, should be aware his full intent is to pick them back up once his payday rolls around. He got a loan on them. He didn't sell them, he just pawned them. Granted he'll have to pay 20% interest per month, but sometimes when you're in a bind, and you know you'll have the extra funds in a few weeks, pawning valuable items can help you out. I've done it many times in the past myself (not with knives though). So I'm sure he'll soon get them back.

Yep this right here. Probably should have specified that haha I forget that so much selling/trading happens here... Rest assured folks a pawn shop is the last place I'd look for a deal.

I'm probably also an oddball in the fact that I only really had 8 knives and wasn't trying to borrow much, so the 20% interest isn't so bad. I'm sure you guys would be appalled at the prices they offered, but when you're going to a pawn shop you're not exactly at the top of your options list as it is. They actually helped me out a little and offered more than they'd probably be able to sell them for--pawn shops just aren't really known for selling high end knives. My favorite? One shop told me "No sorry, we only take Gerber and SOG."

Anyway I just was surprised by how much the sentiment of "Oh well, I don't really need my knives," has come back to haunt me. I've always made this case in my mind that my knives are nice, but not really necessary. Gives me an appreciation for them for sure. I always thought to myself "Well look how many people get along without a sharp knife or any knife at all," but I hate fumbling with paper or packages trying to open them, or having to use a kitchen knife to cut anything because I still don't own a pair of scissors lol

Oh, no dire straits or anything though folks, but thanks for the concern. My girlfriend just needed a tooth worked on, and her family dentist in the town 80 miles over told her he would take care of it for no charge. Meanwhile her insurance wouldn't cover anything non-routine and the "emergency clinic" just wanted to pull everything. So anyway wasn't really an emergency, but tooth pain sucks so I bit the bullet and got the money to get her there ASAP. Being without my knives is much more preferrable to seeing her in pain... And dealing with her being grumpy every morning lol

KennyB, I am sorry you had to pawn the knives even for a good cause like the dentist for your significant other. Seems like a great lesson that one needs to keep at least a modest emergency fund available. Not carrying a knife would probably feel like quitting smoking for me since I am so used to having a knife in my pocket and constantly available.

If it's any consolation, I sold a few Busse knives to fund some custom knives. The tax man had different ideas, and I had to use the money for uncle sam..... bummed me out.

Glad everything worked out fine for you and your GF, 2 areas where pawn shops make out really well, anywhere there's gambling,(Vegas, AC) and Alaska.

Gambling towns for obvious reasons but AK is because people move there make money, buy new stuff and when they can't make it because of the weather they pawn everything to go back down to the lower 48, pawn shops make out like bandits.

Good luck getting your knives back, who knows maybe you'll find all ya really need's a good Alox SAK and you'll find freedom in having only one good knife to choose.

I can only speak from the perspective of guy who bought knives from pawn shops. 2 years back l got my favourite fixed blade knife from a South Carolina pawn shop: A Robert PARISH 8 inch Hollow handle Survival knife ;440c blade. For those of you who may not have heard of one ; let me tell you. This is the strongest hollow handle knife l own. Mr. Parrish no longer makes knives ( l can't imagine why . Those things are built like tanks) It cost me $375. For a hand made discontinued knife that otherwise sells for $1000 or so ; l would say that this was the best deal l could get. I would later find out that the former owner of the knife pawned it for less than 375. So l agree with the other posters . Pawn shops do not secure good deals for sellers.

Oh, no dire straits or anything though folks, but thanks for the concern. My girlfriend just needed a tooth worked on, and her family dentist in the town 80 miles over told her he would take care of it for no charge. Meanwhile her insurance wouldn't cover anything non-routine and the "emergency clinic" just wanted to pull everything. So anyway wasn't really an emergency, but tooth pain sucks so I bit the bullet and got the money to get her there ASAP. Being without my knives is much more preferrable to seeing her in pain... And dealing with her being grumpy every morning lol

Now let that be a lesson to you on your posting style and its content. If you put ALL the information up front you will cut down in the second guessing, the criticism, and the posts questioning your intelligence for your actions.

Seems to me you made a well thought out, good choice and did what you needed to do.

Robert

Congrats to you for putting the well-being and happiness of your girlfriend ahead of your knife collection. Although some guys sleep with their knives, a happy, pain-free woman makes for a much more enjoyable bedtime companion. ;)

Congrats to you for putting the well-being and happiness of your girlfriend ahead of your knife collection. Although some guys sleep with their knives, a happy, pain-free woman makes for a much more enjoyable bedtime companion. ;)

Ohhhhhhhhh baby!! Testify!!

Nothing of real relevance could be said after that piece of truth!

Robert

Back