I should of listen to Karda

We have high ceilings and now I finally know why that's a good thing. :p

Both blades are gorgeous.
I would also go for the shorter one. I can chop well with a long one but my aim with a tip that far away from the handle is just horrible. Also there are too many corners and door frames.
In any case I envision it to be more stabbing and cutting than swinging. I know chopping off an arm is a surefire way to stop a bad guy but I don't like that kind of committed strike with a heavy blade. If I miss I get stuck in a wall or expose myself too much for too long. I like faster techniques which come back fast into my defense even if they miss. I can only guess from my Katanas, what's the weight of this Wakizashi?

Does a Kukri's bend make it easier to defend around obstacles and at the same time expose less skin?

Scara makes a good case for the WW2. I don't have one yet and have to see how weight and length compare to the ones I have.

You're lucky, my ceilings are no higher than seven feet, and I'm just under six feet with a longer than normal wingspan. If I ever had to use my WWII in my place I'd end up with the blade scraping along the ceiling, or taking out light fixtures. To make things even better, the hallway right outside my door is narrow enough that I can't make horizontal strikes without hitting the walls. The rest of the place is wide open, but not there.

I experimented with attacking around corners, and the kink doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'll admit to having little experience, but your target would have to be hugging the wall for it to work. I suppose a kukri would shield you some in an around the corner strike, but I have my doubts how much difference it would make.

And seeing some of the pictures of the food hasn't made me hungry for pea soup, but it has made me hungry for a good dark bread.

Jens, That is exactly the memory I have of the soup containers. When I see the picture with the lid of the container lifted I imagine I can still smell that soup. Absolutely nothing better for defrosting your fingers than wrapping them around a bowl with one of those huge wursts running across it.
I wonder what he would charge me for shipping costs to buy one LOL.

Nice JW. I think the most fun we had was the Dutch FN MAGs we used to laugh that their M60-20 was so differnet but similar to our M60s Then a few years later whoa we were seeing them in ToEs as M240s and replacing the M60s.

You're lucky, my ceilings are no higher than seven feet, and I'm just under six feet with a longer than normal wingspan. If I ever had to use my WWII in my place I'd end up with the blade scraping along the ceiling, or taking out light fixtures. To make things even better, the hallway right outside my door is narrow enough that I can't make horizontal strikes without hitting the walls. The rest of the place is wide open, but not there.

I experimented with attacking around corners, and the kink doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'll admit to having little experience, but your target would have to be hugging the wall for it to work. I suppose a kukri would shield you some in an around the corner strike, but I have my doubts how much difference it would make.

And seeing some of the pictures of the food hasn't made me hungry for pea soup, but it has made me hungry for a good dark bread.
As far as indoor bladework goes, the more you train indoors (get a $10 poly cutting board from wallyworld, cut out a trainer so you don't have to re sheetrock your hallway lol) and work on compressing your strikes-not only will it allow you to work in enclosed spaces, but it will lessen how much the strike is telegraphed-it's less like a mortar trajectory and more like the path of a bullwhip. I can't get videos to post from my iphone or I'd put one up. That style of cut is also faster and (in my case) delivers more power.

I can actually run this indoors-admittedly I'm short, but it's a 25" blade and I've never thwacked a beam or the ceiling in our living room:
image.jpg

Last edited:
As far as indoor bladework goes, the more you train indoors (get a $10 poly cutting board from wallyworld, cut out a trainer so you don't have to re sheetrock your hallway lol) and work on compressing your strikes-not only will it allow you to work in enclosed spaces, but it will lessen how much the strike is telegraphed-it's less like a mortar trajectory and more like the path of a bullwhip. I can't get videos to post from my iphone or I'd put one up. That style of cut is also faster and (in my case) delivers more power.

Actually I am already familiar with and fond of the bullwhip style strike. I came upon it when I first bought my kukri and it bounced off my cardboard target when I used the mortar strike. So I experimented around and found that the bullwhip is a faster, more powerful strike. At least when I do it I do it by cocking my arm back and then punching it out, letting the wrist flick at the end of the extension. Is that how you do it, or am I thinking of something entirely different?

Actually I am already familiar with and fond of the bullwhip style strike. I came upon it when I first bought my kukri and it bounced off my cardboard target when I used the mortar strike. So I experimented around and found that the bullwhip is a faster, more powerful strike. At least when I do it I do it by cocking my arm back and then punching it out, letting the wrist flick at the end of the extension. Is that how you do it, or am I thinking of something entirely different?

I think you described it very well. Could also add whole body movement during the strike. A lose grip at the beginning and then tightening it at the end also adds more force.

I think you described it very well. Could also add whole body movement during the strike. A lose grip at the beginning and then tightening it at the end also adds more force.

A little bit of fencing style footwork helps with that, along with a hip twist. I still haven't done too well with holding my kukri in a loose grip, but it does tighten when reach the end of the strike. Though I don't hold it in a death-grip, so maybe it's loose enough.

So while we're talking, most people who have held my kukri hold it with the web of their hand up by the bolster, yet my first instinct is always to hold it with the blade of my palm against the flared end at the bottom. Anyone else hold their kukri that way, or am I alone?

I have the ring of the grip between little and ring fingers.
You have the strike down- i guess i was thinking starting it in closer to the body, so less sheetrock is molested...

I have the ring of the grip between little and ring fingers.
You have the strike down- i guess i was thinking starting it in closer to the body, so less sheetrock is molested...

My wrist is against my ribcage at the start of the strike, so it's about as close as it gets.

Once again and as always, I have no formal training. However, I've been swinging a khuk several times a week for over a decade. I will bet dollars to donuts that any intruder in my upstairs hallway will be wishing he hadn't broken into the Buzzsaw household. That is if he shrugs off the 29# attack dog and 17 rounds of 9 mm and maybe a 30 round magazine of 5.56.

Long story short, my lack of technique is supplemented by tenacity and small arms fire;)

Once again and as always, I have no formal training. However, I've been swinging a khuk several times a week for over a decade. I will bet dollars to donuts that any intruder in my upstairs hallway will be wishing he hadn't broken into the Buzzsaw household. That is if he shrugs off the 29# attack dog and 17 rounds of 9 mm and maybe a 30 round magazine of 5.56.

Long story short, my lack of technique is supplemented by tenacity and small arms fire;)

Force multiplication, baby.

We have 29 pounds of attack dog as well-it's just more than one dog lol
Thats 1/4 of my Dogo Argentina and half of my Jack Russell! Nothing but nothing gets past a Jack Russell! They are like smoke alarms but you cant unplug the battery. They dont shut up till the smoke clears.

Thats 1/4 of my Dogo Argentina and half of my Jack Russell! Nothing but nothing gets past a Jack Russell! They are like smoke alarms but you cant unplug the battery. They dont shut up till the smoke clears.

Dogo Argentina's are badasses! I love their pure white coats and temperament. My friend use to breed them and I found them to be loyal, loving, and very protective without being overly "aggressive". They also have hearts of lions. I remember seeing a story about a little 8 year old girl in Argentina. She went to pick some fruit from a tree a small distance from her families farm. I guess there was a cougar/mountain lion in the tree. Thank god her trusty Dogo was there to save her life at his own risk.

The little girls father heard the screams and when he found his little girl she was fine. He Dogo was laying on its side badly injured with massive damage to his face. The father also found a giant dead cougar with his throat ripped out. That little girl would of been lunch if it wasn't for her best four legged friend.

Here is a little video about the breed. Most people aren't aware of it or its history. It will always be on my top three list of best breeds in the world...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5bFr3B6qs

image.jpg Murphy's only 20lbs, but that's 20lbs of terrier-when he does the shake to a small animal you can't even tell what it was unless ya saw it pre shake. He's the only dog I've ever had who would jump in physically if I was in a fight (he demonstrated this to one of my silat students, thankfully only with the warning dance).
I'd hate to see him do that to somebody's calf...
Cantina thread drift at it's finest!

Dogo Argentina's are badasses! I love their pure white coats and temperament. My friend use to breed them and I found them to be loyal, loving, and very protective without being overly "aggressive". They also have hearts of lions. I remember seeing a story about a little 8 year old girl in Argentina. She went to pick some fruit from a tree a small distance from her families farm. I guess there was a cougar/mountain lion in the tree. Thank god her trusty Dogo was there to save her life at his own risk.

The little girls father heard the screams and when he found his little girl she was fine. He Dogo was laying on its side badly injured with massive damage to his face. The father also found a giant dead cougar with his throat ripped out. That little girl would of been lunch if it wasn't for her best four legged friend.

Here is a little video about the breed. Most people aren't aware of it or its history. It will always be on my top three list of best breeds in the world...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5bFr3B6qs

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of dogs, bad memories from when I was little. I notice that the Dogo Argentino is illegal in some countries. I'm seeing that they're not overly aggressive. Is it because they've been widely used in hunting, or is it because some people train them for dog fights?

I like dogs. The closer to their ancestors the better they look to me.
Just don't like the commitment. Maybe once the kids are in college we'll get a Husky. So in 15 years or so.
Oh and even if I like dogs I pepperspray all the unknown unleashed ones which come to close and "just want to play" with my kids. But that happened only twice. Usually scaring them is sufficient.

View attachment 479120 Murphy's only 20lbs, but that's 20lbs of terrier-when he does the shake to a small animal you can't even tell what it was unless ya saw it pre shake. He's the only dog I've ever had who would jump in physically if I was in a fight (he demonstrated this to one of my silat students, thankfully only with the warning dance).
I'd hate to see him do that to somebody's calf...
Cantina thread drift at it's finest!

Murphy definitely looks like an ankle machine. Those little terriers are so tenacious and fearless. He looks so friggin cute though, he looks very sweet. I bet your students crap his pants when he saw that little scrapper coming at him. He also looks like he might have some Australian cattle dog in him due to the merle on his coat. Thanks for the pics, I friggin love animals.

View attachment 479122
stick yer hand in that!
60 lb. of pure muscle that can chase at 45 mph.

that is one set of chompers I would never like to run into. Actually I could run as fast I as wanted an it still wouldn't matter. That pooch could tear my ass apart at 40mph!

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of dogs, bad memories from when I was little. I notice that the Dogo Argentino is illegal in some countries. I'm seeing that they're not overly aggressive. Is it because they've been widely used in hunting, or is it because some people train them for dog fights?

I think it has more to do with irrational fears. A lot of dog breeds are banned in certain countries. The American Pit Bull Terrier is banned in England even though it is one of the friendliest dogs on the planet. It was known as the "nanny" dog in the US for decades. The "Little Rascals" dog was actually a pit bull.

The Dogo like other large breeds has been used for fighting by bad owners. It has massive jaw and neck strength that can be dangerous if not trained properly. It is no more aggressive than any other dog. The most aggressive dogs I know are the little snappy one, usually less than 10lbs. IMHO there are no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners. The dogo would make a wonderful family pet as long as it knows who is boss. Dogs are pack animals. They are happy as long as they know their place. A Omega dog is just as happy as the Alpha male and Beta female. The omega is part of the pack and therefore part of the family. Make your dog the omega and it will serve you faithfully its entire life. It will never bite anyone its not suppose to. Dogs have evolved with humans for millennia, they "get us" and understand more than we give them credit for.

That makes a lot of sense. Still, bad memories from childhood... don't think I'll be getting any dogs ever. Living in Brasil where everyone had rottweillers and pit bulls but no one trained them didn't help.

Back