I think I've finally found the perfect Busse...

Soulrack223

Gold Member
I got my BOSS Jack from the recent ganzaa on Saturday and all I can say is "WOW!!!" :eek: It's quite beautiful, as are most satin Busses. I like the tastefully done meltdown treatment--it's not overdone like the Nuclear Meltdown FBMs and SFNOs. (I know may get crucified for that, but it's my honest opinion. :barf:) It's not as thick as I thought it might be and it really feels great in the hand. It has a lot of features I coveted in the BOSS Jack, like satin finish, no choil, no fuller, g-10 scales.

I am so glad I held out for the nearly perfect BOSS Jack. There are a couple of things I'd change. First, I'd prefer black g-10 instead of black and red. Second, I'd prefer the rope texture over the entire scale not just the middle of the scale. Those are minor in comparison with its greatness. :) I am surprised it still says "PROTO" because in my opinion it's a refined piece of Busse perfection. What else can I say about this razor sharp, full convex piece of satin INFI goodness? :confused: :D I can see why the Crazy Competition went by the wayside. This blade would win hands down. Of course we should all have known Garth would dominate the Crazy Competition anyway. ;) (I'm only saying this to get Amy-0 all worked up.)

Busse Combat really hit one out of the park with the BOSS Jack.

p1020219y.jpg

p1020221q.jpg

That does look perfect. Some black micarta would be great... or dare I say, green linen.

Either way, she's a winner.

I just got one last week same color only the large choil. I kind of like the no choil variant too. They do feel good in hand. Good score :thumbup:

I love the looks of Boss Jacks. Awesome looking blades. I used to have dc/black micarta version with fuller but I sold it because imho the blade was too thick. It had very thick convex grind and also very thick V edge. Much thicker than my 0.25" Tank Buster. It was difficult to cut with this knife. :( And because of the thick convex a lot of sanding down would be needed to change it.
Maybe full convex version is better - I hope so.
But quickly found consolation - I bought a DSSF which as I heard is flat ground and cuts better. :thumbup::D
I really wish the combat grade boss jacks come with flat grind - like boss streets (or convex but thinner). They would be a little less blade heavy and would cut better. If that happens I will definately buy a Boss Jack again :thumbup:

Nice one Soul, i'm diggin the red/black g10 lately
I have to get a Bossjack to batton through the small stuff at the pit :thumbup:

I haven't brought myself to use it. :foot: Not even on a sheet of paper nor hair on my arm. :eek: If it goes into regular production with many options (a la Tank Buster) I will definantely get a user. If that never happens then this one will eventually get used. :)

I don't have a mic but i've got the dc-bj and the satin convexed bj side by side. And the dc-bj is definatly thicker especially towards the tip.
The dc-bj seems to carry the thickness of the blade pretty much all the way to the tip. Within the last inch anyway.

Where the one you have Soulrack, if its the same as mine. tends to taper about three inches from the tip. Plus the satin convexed bj is thinner in the blade overall.
So i can see what you mean by slicing capabilities from the dc-bj.not being so hot. The satin covexed bj will definatly be better in that dept. And like you also stated the grind on the spine is'nt so nuclear more squarish which i also prefer. I like it. :thumbup:

I don't have a mic but i've got the dc-bj and the satin convexed bj side by side. And the dc-bj is definatly thicker especially towards the tip.
The dc-bj seems to carry the thickness of the blade pretty much all the way to the tip. Within the last inch anyway.

Where the one you have Soulrack, if its the same as mine. tends to taper about three inches from the tip. Plus the satin convexed bj is thinner in the blade overall.
So i can see what you mean by slicing capabilities from the dc-bj.not being so hot. The satin covexed bj will definatly be better in that dept. And like you also stated the grind on the spine is'nt so nuclear more squarish which i also prefer. I like it. :thumbup:

Yeah, I agree. It's sweet. I am so glad I held out for this version. I could see a non-proto going up on the main site just like the non-test team KZ just did.

I haven't brought myself to use it. :foot: Not even on a sheet of paper nor hair on my arm. :eek: If it goes into regular production with many options (a la Tank Buster) I will definantely get a user. If that never happens then this one will eventually get used. :)

I don't know how you guys can resist using your knives. If I get something that I know I love and will want to keep, not using it would make me very good at all. The carrot would always be hanging there, but you could not take a bite even though it was easily within reach.

I don't know how you guys can resist using your knives. If I get something that I know I love and will want to keep, not using it would make me very good at all. The carrot would always be hanging there, but you could not take a bite even though it was easily within reach.

I feel the same way

I feel the same way

I had a very strong urge to cut something with the BOSS Jack when I was taking the pictures, so I got out my choiless Tank Buster and used it. :)

I love my TB as well

What knife feels better in hand??

They're quite different but I'd give the edge to the BJ because I'm not much of a fan of the TAC handle. The BJ is much smaller while the TB feels like it could be used to chop if needed and the BJ does not.

with my hand in the lower postion with my pinky at the pommel the boss jack has enough weight to chop. I wouldn't want to work on anything thicker than about 3", but it would manage. The boss jack is to the tank buster what the desert fighter is to the sfno. a slimmer version that is still capable of chopping, and as capable at batoning.

I too wouldn't mind seeing a full rope pattern on the scales, but I'm okay with them as they are. I had to thin it down quite a bit at the edge to get it to where i felt comfortable edc'ing it. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly less robust version.

and!
-1/8" thick version in the same configuration
-1/4" thick version with a 4.5" blade (exactly the same, just shorter)
-1/8" thick version with a 4.5" blade

it would be such an awesome set of knives :cool:

with my hand in the lower postion with my pinky at the pommel the boss jack has enough weight to chop. I wouldn't want to work on anything thicker than about 3", but it would manage. The boss jack is to the tank buster what the desert fighter is to the sfno. a slimmer version that is still capable of chopping, and as capable at batoning.

I too wouldn't mind seeing a full rope pattern on the scales, but I'm okay with them as they are. I had to thin it down quite a bit at the edge to get it to where i felt comfortable edc'ing it. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly less robust version.

and!
-1/8" thick version in the same configuration
-1/4" thick version with a 4.5" blade (exactly the same, just shorter)
-1/8" thick version with a 4.5" blade

it would be such an awesome set of knives :cool:

For some reason this one doesn't seem as thick as the descriptions make it out to be. Weren't the Public Defender and Euro 6 basically what you're describing? If those were made with no choil I'd be all over them. :thumbup:

That knife is broken. It has no choil.;):D

It's not broken but I'll grant you that they're not as pretty without a choil. I don't need pretty. :p

Congrats...thats a beautiful knife.

Congrats on the score, and yes they are sweet blades!

Thanks. It's right up there for me. I'll be keeping the SFNO s and ASH-1s too. :cool:

Back