1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I want a Griptilian BUT ...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JWheel, Jun 19, 2015.

1. the kid

the kid

May 5, 2008
    I use a Sanrenmu Axis lock knife for around the house. The lock is awesome I use it to scrape weed between the tiles in the yard, open paint cans, etc. It's like having a fixed blade except you can't use to much side force or the handle/screws will bend or break. (tried using it as a crowbar to open a stuck window, that doesn't work)

No blade play (at least not vertical, which is/should be impossible with an axis lock) after very serious abuse.
    I got it for $7 a while back so it's perfect for hard use since it doesn't matter if you do manage to break it. (impossible except deliberate)

2. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    The 2 knives I compared were a Griptilian 551 with 154CM steel I paid $110.50 and Para-military 2 camouflage with CPM S30V steel I paid $106.00. As far as steel like I said I do not know enough to argue the point. I like the AXIS locking system better but overall I like the PM2 better. Neither one of which made me gasp for breath. I have never had a Ritter in my hand sounds like a good knice. My next purchase will be a Benchmade 943 due to recommendations I have received. Thanks for the input I continue to learn from following Blade Forums. IMG_20150620_115026.jpg

3. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    I have two Grips, both full size, one D2 and one satin 154CM. Not a huge fan of the D2 because frankly BK1 (the coating) sucks (it's really just thick paint, should be TiNi or DLC at the price) and it's a female dog to sharpen. The 154CM model is great, I think BM's 154 is probably one of the best all around EDC steels for a reasonable sized folder.

I also happen to have a Manix LW, in blue with BD1 steel. I'm not a fan of the bearing lock, the spring is really stiff and you have to use a lot more force to unlock it, a lot more than the Axis requires. Also, the knife is all pinned (instead of screwed) except the pivot, which is countersunk Torx screws, so you can't take it apart to lube/clean/adjust it. If you're going to go the Spyderco route, I would go for the G10 Manix 2. The BD1 steel is very rust resistant and takes a very keen edge also, but can't stack up to S30V on edge holding. I predominantly use my Manix 2 LW on my boat and also during summertime cookouts, the light weight and highly rust resistant steel is well suited as is the very capable slicing FFG shape.

4. ejames13

ejames13

Mar 30, 2015
    Do you own any Spydercos currently? First "nice" knife I bought was a full size Ritter grip in M390. I loved it, but after getting a PM2 I sold my Ritter to get another Spyderco. Nothing beats the thumb hole for opening.

That said, they do serve two different purposes and I wouldn't mind if I still had my grip. The grip is much more robust, as someone else already stated. The tip is nice and thick so no worries about breaking it off. However the PM2 tip is amazing for piercing since it's so thin and sharp at the tip. Trade off.

Conclusion: get both :)

5. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    Nvm~!

6. JWheel

JWheel

Jun 18, 2015
    I think I'll get a Grip when the price is right. The PM2 is inbound. My favorite EDC is the Sage 1 so the PM2 was a no brainer once I saw the black blade for the price I wanted. Thanks for all the input, guys.

7. anthony cheeseboro

anthony cheeseboro Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 1999
    I agree.

8. Joshua_Barney

Joshua_Barney

Jan 7, 2015
    who made these grips there sharp.

9. fshaw

fshaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Rasco,

I'd also like to know who made our grips, they're sharp.

Thanks.

Frank

10. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    Made by a fellow named Igor in Russia.
    He has a storefront on "the bay" so go search for "griptilian" over there and you'll see some of his current offerings.
    Following him on Facebook is another way to stay up on his latest options.

11. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    Still goin strong!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    I dont think the Grip and PM2 are both great, after reading so much about those two, I bought them, the non G10 Grip feels cheap next to the PM2, but the new ones put them head to head, both are great knives, save some and buy both, they are the flagships of two great companies

13. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    I recently got a Ganzo G7392P-BK on amazon for $17 ish bucks. And I was amazed with how nice it was. 3D milled g10 thats the same as the BM volli. Stiffer axis lock and great jimping and thumb ramp. I put a BM deep carry clip on it as well.
    The axis lock is stiffer than a benchmade but, if you compare that lock to the Spyderco Manix 2 which has a similar style lock. The manix is much harder to close when compared to the Ganzo's axis. The tumble finish on the blade is very nice and it had zero blade play in any direction while being perfectly centered. I was honestly blown away with it. I own several BM's including a grip and the ganzo is a close competitor with features you pay extra for on the grip.

My biggest complain with the grips in general is they are not as sturdy with having a lighter blade stock and not having full liners. They dont flick open as well compared to the other BM's like a stryker, mini onslaught, 940 just to name a few.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T0549I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

[​IMG]

14. Nfd538

Nfd538

Jul 9, 2015
    The stock scales aren't bad but do have a cheap fill. Easy fix, Cuscadi and Camp Perry G10
    [​IMG]

15. ConBon

ConBon

Jan 17, 2012
    This is basically all of my thoughts on the two, The Grip fills up the hand much better than the PM2, and feels more ergonomically friendly. In the store I put a squeeze on both in hand and the PM2 gave me a bit of a hot spot in the palm whereas the Grip gave none.

Connor

16. Radjxf

Radjxf

Apr 8, 2006
    Much prefer the PM2 myself. I can't stand the lateral blade play in BM's with the axis lock; makes them feel cheap. Prices have risen considerably as well (as have Spyderco's unfortunately).

17. fshaw

fshaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Is yours the mini or full size? Thanks for the reply.

Frank

18. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    Check out the Benchmade Griptilian 551-1. It's an upgraded G10 model with CPM-20CV steel.

19. Knave

Knave

Dec 29, 1999
    I understand what you're saying here, but I just don't see anything in Benchmade's current lineup that can compare to a Ritter Grip (Mini Ritter for me) with quality aftermarket scales. I'd gladly pay a premium for the right knife, but the selection just isn't there.

20. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    I'm guessing it's full-sized based on the space between the end of the pocket clip and the Axis lock which looks longer than the same space on my Mini Grips.

Also I saw you asked about who made those scales (Igor from Russia did). My scales on both my regular Mini and Ritter Mini on page 1 of this thread were also made by Igor. Great quality scales