i want to start learing how to knife fight

hi i'm new here i'm a rifeman in the USMC i've been tought a little bit of knife fighting threw the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program but not a lot do any of you guys know any good seminars or Academies in california i could go to?

Latosa escrima/escrima concepts is a great style in my opinion, I have never trained with Rene but one of his former students was my instuctor. Rene teaches in california somewhere not totaly sure. Here is his contact information and website: http://www.escrima-concepts.com/index.html
Rene Latosa
PO Box 651
WINDSOR, CA 95492
707-843-0640

IIRC, Mr. Thompson of Cold Steel gives classes/seminars and holds yearly competitions.

hi i'm new here i'm a rifeman in the USMC i've been tought a little bit of knife fighting threw the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program but not a lot do any of you guys know any good seminars or Academies in california i could go to?

There are a lot of good blade instructors in California. I'm biased and will tell you to seek out a Pekiti-Tirsia instructor (and I can point one out to you if I knew exactly where you were). But, there are others like Mr Thompson, you just need to do some checking around. The best place to look would be either the FMA Database (Loki recently got it back up and running after a few years of being down) or the Eskrima Digest.

William

Info@neptk.com
www.williamsmartialblog.blogspot.com
www.battlegroundtrainingcenter.net

All you need is love........and a sharp blade.....a hardwood flat stick......Oh, oh, oh and a Paraordinance lda 14.45 loaded with 230 grain hydra shocks,ranger SXT's or golden sabres

I know a few Pubs that you could go to.;)

You want to knife fight?:eek:

However, work on your mindset. To survive something as brutal as a knife fight you need a focused mind not fogged by fear. You need to be determined in what you are going to do to your enemy ( which I assume is out to kill you). Finally fight dirty. There are no rules in a knife fight. If there was one rule, it is that you are fighting for your life.

The best alternative to a knife fight is not to get into one in the first place. Run like hell is best, if you are so lucky to have that option available to you.

You want to knife fight?:eek:

However, work on your mindset. To survive something as brutal as a knife fight you need a focused mind not fogged by fear. You need to be determined in what you are going to do to your enemy ( which I assume is out to kill you). Finally fight dirty. There are no rules in a knife fight. If there was one rule, it is that you are fighting for your life.

The best alternative to a knife fight is not to get into one in the first place. Run like hell is best, if you are so lucky to have that option available to you.

Agreed.

You should be hearing this pretty much from day one.

Nothing is 100% certain when dealing with blades. You train (principles of movement & mindset) to better your chances of successfully surviving a bladed encounter. The only 100% sure way to survive one is to not be in that situation in the first place. Next to that, run like the wind.

imho of course.

William

Info@neptk.com
www.williamsmartialblog.blogspot.com
www.battlegroundtrainingcenter.net

All you need is love........and a sharp blade.....a hardwood flat stick......Oh, oh, oh and a Paraordinance lda 14.45 loaded with 230 grain hydra shocks,ranger SXT's or golden sabres

Good evening. I am new here and i would like to check out some of the FMA training in my area. i had a question about the edged weapon techniques. Are these generally adaptable to western style knives of similar size and configuration? (those are the styles that I happen to make and collect) For example, would the barong techniques be applicable to a full sized, well balanced bowie? Do the modern FMA styles have styles specifically designed for typical small to medium sized fixed blades and folding knives? When i speak of small fixed blades, I mean 3-5 inches and of a hunter, boot knife or "everyday carry" pattern. I understand that some of the Indonesians arts do a lot of work with smaller conventional blades, but the only Fillipino knives i have seen alot of were pretty fair sized other than the karambit.
Thanks

just a heads up, i looked into lynn htompson doing classes. apperently he only does the ocasional seminar now, most of which are held in nevada....

wannabemarine,

Sayoc Kali is excellent in blade related instruction. I train at Integrated Martial Arts, located in Signal Hill/Long Beach area. We are the only official Sayoc school, and the only official Atienza training group in Southern California. We currently have several law enforcement and military personnel both as students as well as instructors at the school. In fact, one of our newer students is also in the Marines. For more information about our styles you can check out:

www.intmartialarts.com
www.sayoc.com
www.atienzakali.com

jdm61,

In Sayoc Kali we routinely use blades 3-5 inches, similar to folders. We believe it is important to be able to implement our skills to as wide an array of tools that we might come across or find ourselves with.

Hope that helps.

Joe

I may be able to point you in the right direction, Don. Where are you located?

When in San Diego, I'd recommend: http://www.ilustrisimousa.com/ Christopher Ricketts is a BADASS. One of the head founders of Bakbakan int'l, and a successor of the Ilustrisimo

system along with the likes of Yuli Romo. Bad, bad, bad ass dude.

Pekiti-Tirsia, I have never seen up close and personal, but they seem very well-rounded and they have the hook-ups on Ginuntings! I'm in the process of getting ahold of a local

instructor atm.

When in the Bay Area, feel free to contact us here: www.tribe-iesa.com

(And although my instructor is out of commission at the moment due to an accident, there are other local instructors available.)

There are many decent schools that teach the real deal, the best thing to do is ask around, don't be shy- put yourself out there. See for yourself what's practical.

If you're in the South Bay area, definitely get ahold of me! I'd be more than happy to get together with you, and introduce you to some great instructors such as Guro Garry Bowles,

my Eskrima Serrada instructor Punong Guro Bob Manalo, I also train with Guro Andrew "Limbas" Ma from the Garimot system ( www.garimot.com), but that is only about once or twice

a month. I do know a few people, though, and will help you out as much as I can! You can contact me via email (see my profile).

Happy Hunting! ~John.

You have to check out Guro Dave Gould from Lameco Eskrima.
He knows what he's talking about.

Mail him: kalidave@aol.com

Best to you

Christof

since you asked about knife fighting vs martial arts that contain knives I would say if the sayoc school is near you go to that.

I don't do that system but from the people I know in it the system will give you what you are looking for. Though you might consider starting with a seminar first to get a feel for that style.

Most Kali/Arnis styles have a lot of blade work, not all work with small blades or western tactical style blades but most styles are based on something else anyways. Most styles are built on rhythmic patterns that work with a host of weapons and empty hands. Though you may think you want knife training the overall training of FMA in the long run may be a better choice.

I would recommend seeking out the folks at Integrated Martial Arts in Long Beach mentioned earlier. They are Sayoc Kali and Atienza Kali reps.

I would also advise not saying you want to "knife fight" since that is an obvious flag.

Tuhon Sayoc uses the phrase on our website heading," A knife fighter is someone who ran out of ammo." which touches upon many levels of understanding depending on one's experience.

--Rafael--
Sayoc Kali

If knife fightings your game I sujest you check out this link first. This is the reality of being involved in a knife attack.... not very pritty. Then ask yourself, could I do this to another person and could I handle the possibility of this happening to me.

http://www.hockscqc.com/knife/index.htm

Photos toward the bottom of the page.

If you want to realy train in knives, if you can train with Christopher Ricketts in San Diego you should do it for sure.. He is incredible, and the kali Illustrisimo system for blade work is at the top of the charts. He would be number 1.

Also searhch out Blaise Loong. Go to his web sites, he has more then one. Go to www.blayshalla.com . Something like that. He knows so many different systems. and he is good at them all.

Hey stickmaster. Awesome pics. I'm posting them. Thanks.

The reality of facing a knife.
copcut1.jpg

copcut2.jpg

Neck%20wound.jpg

What happens when you don't run from a knife.

Back