Recommendation? Idea about plate quenching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not go with a positive relief instead of worrying about thermal expansion? Or just tolerate the plates not closing entirely. Does the assembly have to be enclosed around the perimeter to be a worthwhile experiment?

I squeeze a pair of plates vertically/laterally against the largest flat surfaces of my plate-quenched blades (trickier with tapered tangs, but doable). I do it upright to attempt to reduce warping from blades bending under their own weight (plus foil packet weight). Obviously there's an air gap between the plates themselves. I've taken to pulling air through the gap on the blade side with the shop-vac, where there's minimal contact there if I grind before heat. That way blades are less likely to warp (cooler) coming out of the packet. So it's a plate/air combo of sorts. I don't do it often enough to claim any statistical improvement, but it "feels" like it's helping. :rolleyes:
Technically yes we would need to eliminate oxygen somehow. I am thinking about just purging an entire room with nitrogen and an evenheat. Can't be too difficult to cut a hole and stuff kaowool around a . Well shit idk what kind of valve would sustain those temps that's not 10k. I'll think of something.

Your positive relief idea actually is really good. Thank you! πŸ˜…

Now to figure out what to seal it with.

daizee daizee I would personally NOT use a shop vac to pull air but I'd need to know what alloy exactly. You're creating more air that is a very good insulator around the entire packet by creating turbulence with a vacuum.. Not exactly sure if that is going to cause anything but. This experiment would be literally the exact opposite as what your doing to see if that right there makes a difference and if so to what extents.

Also if I am not understanding the shop vac thing or missing something that would make it beneficial which is more than possible, obviously please correct me πŸ‘

Last edited:
Pretty much everything I know what to do except I need to find something to expand and contract that acts as filler. Has anyone added nitrogen to an evenheat? Atmospheric pressure not 5 bar. Me thinks it's possible so why not? Additional easier test that again afaik nobody has tried it.
I know that many knife maker here in EU use tray filled with argon .Some manufactures of heat treat oven offer them also for sale .

I know that many knife maker here in EU use tray filled with argon .Some manufactures of heat treat oven offer them also for sale .
Mm. Argon is heavy enough that you can do that but you don't get the added benefit of nitrogen, argon will just slow oxidation, nitrogen has the potential to increase corrosion resistance and possibly form carbonitrides. Carbides = carbon nitrided = nitrogen. They *can* mix.

N Natlek The argon essentially would solve my air issues. THANKS FOR THE FIX! πŸ˜‚. That's how I'ma do it with a positive relief. Well. One of the tests.

daizee daizee Yes most of the research like this as you know is paid for by grants and is done specifically for a time frame result. That's science but. Ya I'll update the post when they decide to deliver my evenheat! And ya true N Natlek but how hard is it to make it a parallel flat surface? Trigonometry exists for a reason πŸ˜‰
How you've hardened knives you make so far ?

Take some pictures while testing , we like pictures here :)
N Natlek I've had to either send them out to be vac pressure furnaced at Peters' Heat Treating or sometimes I get to use my I wouldn't say..friend I guess um..buddy acquaintance would be a more accurate description, but he's got a forge and an evenheat lb18 which I have done only low alloy low hardenability varying microstructure from forging 1095 and 80crv2 like. 6 times lol. I'm more interested in the metallurgy and science side of this than actually the craft making part I actually hate LoL (I'm talking engravings detail shit handles etc not the blade, that I actually enjoy for some reason). I'm guessing that wasn't hard to know from everything that I have talked about since getting here heh. My point was that I'm a stock removal high alloy mostly high speed steels that gotta be PM or PESR manufacturing processed and I gotta know the rolling direction which is why I like Niagara specialty metals they cross roll their steel so there isn't a real direction. I'm not sure what others do that but it's something I would call about lol. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist ill admit. There's a lot of bad about that but some good stuff.

Pictures? Fuck that I'll do live video streaming. That work? Yes sir you can see it afterwards.

Technically yes we would need to eliminate oxygen somehow. I am thinking about just purging an entire room with nitrogen and an evenheat. Can't be too difficult to cut a hole and stuff kaowool around a . Well shit idk what kind of valve would sustain those temps that's not 10k. I'll think of something.

Your positive relief idea actually is really good. Thank you! πŸ˜…

Now to figure out what to seal it with.
Jason - i would strongly recommend against the "purge whole room with N2 idea. Itwould take a LOT of nitrogen. You likely would not be able to truly purge that space anyway, and it would be an incredibly dangerous environment to work in

N Natlek Er. I may have to just do a video because I won't be able to film it all at once and nobody wants a perhaps 12+ hour video you gotta watch it I gotta edit it so. I'll just do a video at the end and pictures along the way.

That should suffice 😏

Jason - i would strongly recommend against the "purge whole room with N2 idea. Itwould take a LOT of nitrogen. You likely would not be able to truly purge that space anyway, and it would be an incredibly dangerous environment to work in
C Cushing H. I have the equipment to do it man I'm not retarded hahahaha but yes I really appreciate the concern I'm well aware it's not going to be cheap or easy but trust me I have a perfect space to do it. And yes, SCBA gear and a positive pressure level 4 biohazard suit so. 4 gas meter. We'll make it work. If I fuck this up. I deserve it.

Thank you however, truly. I can't say how much it matters that you'd actually give a shit enough to say something. I also totally would have said the same thing had you brought it up. I know you can't know what I'm experienced with and equipment I have I'm not at all laughing at that. I just didn't expect anyone to give a shit πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
SCBA gear :eek: And I thought I was weird πŸ˜‚
Oh I'm a whole nother level πŸ˜‚. I have a lot of close friends that are former combat veterans and active first responders or were yes two just quit lol. I said earlier I'm kinda an open book so any questions you have I'll answer just message me I don't want to talk about this shit publicly LoL.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith This has nothing to do with business April 1st is just the date when I start charging for profit lol. I got into this to get away from the "want to make money world" and for certain people I will do the work for free but I'm now getting requests that I have to deny because this isn't an incorporated company that's meant to make profit. I do this as a hobby. If people want to pay me to do certain things, April 1st is roughly the date that I can have it done by. I make enough money from PCs to take care of myself and family - I'm not one that gives a shit about money just ask anyone who actually knows me. (It's why KSN doesn't get my money and I bought a semi auto CATRA edge retention tester myself).

Last edited:
And NO I'M not even close to "rich". I just do not do well around the people that just want to make money. And I am most definitely a capitalist. There's a difference between being an entrepreneur and an asshole. πŸ˜… I'll admit it's. A fine line but. I can tell who does this for themselves and who does it for money and everything in-between. It's hard to profile people over the internet in detail but very easy to get the basic personality if you have been studying this shit since age 13 like I have. I'm a people watcher. I'll admit it. The human mind and why how we work fascinates me. Yes I'm weird if y'all haven't figured this out yet πŸ˜…

Jason, I'm glad you are doing well and entering knifemaking as a business.

One easy way to end up broke in a business is to waste money doing things that have no gain. Making fitted quench plates may sound cool to discuss, but there will be no gain from doing it that way over normal quench plates.

A parallel example is - A titanium and niobium steel bicycle with shape memory metal tires would be really neat, but if all you need it for is to go to the grocery for beer, there is no gain in the time and expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back