Idea for Buck 300 series

I agree Mr. Martin, it is a pretty good stretch.
I can only recall a few knives with that steel offered, maybe 3 or 4 max?

Don

I don't think there's lots of money to be made getting too fancy with their slip joints. OTOH, if they could keep the price in the $35-$50 range (on the 301) while offering more colors/material options, and perhaps a 5160 or D2 (better, but still low cost steels) option, it would give slippie collectors a reason to give Buck a look.

and look at the Idaho stamp on 1 of the small blades---never seen that before....

That looks like a 2006 knife with a sheepsfoot left over from 2005. The 2005 had no date code on the main tang and used the Idaho stamp on the sheepsfoot as a date mark.

Bert

COOL---THANK YOU BERT--I know nothing bout the 300 series knives....now I know this one...probably lots more to look at soon....

I don't think there's lots of money to be made getting too fancy with their slip joints. OTOH, if they could keep the price in the $35-$50 range (on the 301) while offering more colors/material options, and perhaps a 5160 or D2 (better, but still low cost steels) option, it would give slippie collectors a reason to give Buck a look.
Would make me carry one with those two steels

I'd love it if Buck would bring back a trapper in the 300 series. Especially the 311, but a 314 (i think it was) and the jumbo sized one they had would be nice too. I also think a peanut or jacknife would do well.

If I were in charge, I would contract with whoever provides the handle scales for the Chinese made slippies and have them shipped here to be install on the USA made knives!!

I would live to see the 317 come back with "Schrade-like" delrin scales. I would flip for a new 317!
In my travels at truck stops I see a lot of 110's and it's look a likes. In grocery and hardware stores I see the 303 size knife. I see bikers with a
317, which they cannot find any more. gsea and I would go with Buck bringing that back. Plus, I really like the 334 Millennium Trapper. DM

The 300 series is being re-tooled and will be back at some point.

oops wrong thread.. I'll pass this thread on to our New products group.

Ok I completely missed this. Now with the announcement of what the forum knife is (flat grind, long pull) my hope are high for what the future of the 300 series could be. I've always been a fan of the older flat grind Bucks. If the brought them back with or without long pull I would be one of the happiest campers in the world. :)

Buck built its brand in slip joints by providing consistent, high quality knives with a good walk and talk that had a distinct aesthetic. The classic black handle used to have a little more shine to it, the distinct brand pin was a little more polished and the black long pull really accentuated the color for distinct look. The original tan box conveyed quality and tradition. They diluted or all together dropped these subtle touches. I'd gladly pay an additional $30 over the cost of the current USA 300 series knives to have all that back. I don't understand why the 300 has to be such a price point, when they offer Wally World China knives, which by the way, also tarnishes the brand. Buck needs to give this line of knives a back to basics make over. Bring back the knives that made such an impact on so many of us in the 70's and early 80's.

Since we're talking about possible upgrades and Buck might be reading this, I'll chime in with my pet peeves. Other people mention the grind, and I also much prefer flat ground, but my biggest peeve is the three-spring design. I find it really unattractive. I like the old-school two-spring stockman design with the crinked blades and think it elegant and attractive. The three spring design with the straight blades looks clunky and cheap to me. I know why they did it and it makes perfect sense, but I don't like how it looks. It looks to me like a cheap entry-level beater knife, not a "nice" folder. I'm really glad the forum knife ended up with only two blades, I think I'll be OK with that. We'll see.

Reactions: TAH
Buck built its brand in slip joints by providing consistent, high quality knives with a good walk and talk that had a distinct aesthetic. The classic black handle used to have a little more shine to it, the distinct brand pin was a little more polished and the black long pull really accentuated the color for distinct look. The original tan box conveyed quality and tradition. They diluted or all together dropped these subtle touches. I'd gladly pay an additional $30 over the cost of the current USA 300 series knives to have all that back. I don't understand why the 300 has to be such a price point, when they offer Wally World China knives, which by the way, also tarnishes the brand. Buck needs to give this line of knives a back to basics make over. Bring back the knives that made such an impact on so many of us in the 70's and early 80's.
You'd gladly pay an extra $30 for a tan box?
Must be nice to have that kind of money.
Please enlighten me. How does the color of the box or fir that matter, the color of the covers affect how the knife works?
Most people I know take the knife out of the box, and deposit the box in the "circular file".
I love my 301. I wish I could afford to buy another one. Or even a matching 303.
Unfortunately, since I was forced to retire, I can't.
The alleged "Walmart" knives, by which I presume you mean the 37x and 38x knives? They are sold by other retailers, by the way. Walmart does have SFO's made though. Like that barehead 371 with G10 covers a couple years ago. No one else has that 371.
Anyway, I can still afford the 371/373/389.
When I buy one, I am supporting Buck.
The quality of the 371 and 373 is just as good as the 301 and 303. Buck does not have a US made Canoe at this time.
Would you prefer I bought another company's product?
Everyone who has tried the 37x and 38x knives here on the forums like them.
How are they "tarnishing" the brand?

gaj999 gaj999
The 3 spring design means no crinked blades and no blade rub.
The over-all width of the Buck 3 spring and another company's 2 spring is the same.

I don't see a disadvantage to the 3 spring.
What's wrong with having 3 straight blades? I'd rather have that than one straight blade and two bent blades.

°•°•°•°•*
OK. I'll get lost, shut up, and not bother you fine folks again.

The 3 spring design means no crinked blades and no blade rub.

True.

The over-all width of the Buck 3 spring and another company's 2 spring is the same.

Also true.

I don't see a disadvantage to the 3 spring.
What's wrong with having 3 straight blades? I'd rather have that than one straight blade and two bent blades.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Except that I don't like the looks. It's purely a matter of taste. I find the nesting of crinked blades really attractive and the big lint catchers and the straight lines on the 301/303 really unattractive even though the engineer in me sees all of the advantages of the three-spring design from a practical standpoint. It's a very good design. It's like preferring the Mona Lisa over a Velvet Elvis. The Mona Lisa would be way more impractical to have over the mantle and would have no objective advantage over the Velvet Elvis. But I'd still rather have it. :)

I agree Mr. Martin, it is a pretty good stretch.
I can only recall a few knives with that steel offered, maybe 3 or 4 max?Don
Don, here are some models with the Sandvik steel: model 31, 24, 28, 299 and 336 Paradigm. That's 5
and it is only through 2014.Plus, 341, 346 Vantage & 015 Lux for 8. DM

Last edited:
Back