Idea for Buck 300 series

Don, here are some more models that had the Sandvik blades: 584, 087, 597, 491, 196, 271, 487, 497, 391, 396,571, 581, 349, 193, 846, 394, 276 and 277.This list takes us through 2009. This list shows 26 knives Buck gave this steel to. DM

I'd like to see a 300 series 4 blade Scout/Camp knife.
Maybe CPM-154 or S30V main blade and D2 for the punch, can opener, and screwdriver/caplifter, or all D2 or all 5160?

I don't know why the punch and caplifter couldn't be whatever is cheapest, probably 420HC. Cutting blades? Upgrade it for sure. I'd love to see a four blade stockman with a punch ...

I don't know why the punch and caplifter couldn't be whatever is cheapest, probably 420HC. Cutting blades? Upgrade it for sure. I'd love to see a four blade stockman with a punch ...
Why not use a "tool steel" for the tools?
Sure, 420HC would work, but why not be different from the few others and Victorinox who still make a Scout/Camp knife?

I'd buy a 4 blade stockman with a punch/awl or saw, too. :)

I'm thinking a 301 with ATS-34 and carbon fiber scales. Also orange G10 with Damascus.

Why not use a "tool steel" for the tools?
Sure, 420HC would work, but why not be different from the few others and Victorinox who still make a Scout/Camp knife?

Tool steel is used for high speed machining where the tool needs to maintain it's cutting ability at high temperatures. A caplifter is an entirely different sort of tool. The best steel for something like that is probably something tough, since those caplifters do get used for prying and driving screws. So a cheap tough stainless if the main is stainless and a cheap tough carbon if the main is carbon could save money and would arguably work better. I mentioned 420HC because it's Buck's standard steel and they use a lot of it, solving for cheap and assuming that 420HC is tough enough to do the job.

I am all for different steel or handle material..:thumbsup: Leave the caplifter where it belongs.. On a SAK!!!;) John

Don, here are some more models that had the Sandvik blades: 584, 087, 597, 491, 196, 271, 487, 497, 391, 396,571, 581, 349, 193, 846, 394, 276 and 277.This list takes us through 2009. This list shows 26 knives Buck gave this steel to. DM

Thank you David, that is certainly more models than I had in my head. It is a great steel.
Don

this is all i want in a 317

xaESYmb.jpg

The 300 series are some good knives. What I don't understand is when the Collecter's Club offered a 301 with up grade steel and up grade handles in a limited run. It then took over a year to sell them off.? DM

Only a few wanted to buy them, if anyone should have had their feelings hurt over it , it should have been me who mentioned it constantly at every board meeting. David you have any opinions on why ?. You can't use materials because that was limited by Buck. I was proud they found us some upgrade steel. I would of liked upgraded scales but costs went beyond fancy 110 limits.
I don't think there was a reason other than folks don't want fancy small folders. "If it don't have a clip, then it ain't zip."

I think the biggest problem with the sale may have been that they were BCCI knives and thus had a rather limited number of buyers. Had they been available to the general population at time or release, I believe they would have sold out much more quickly.

I think the biggest problem with the sale may have been that they were BCCI knives and thus had a rather limited number of buyers. Had they been available to the general population at time or release, I believe they would have sold out much more quickly.
This may have had something to do with the lack of sales. I've thought about it and it seems like guys like this model but then when it was offered sales were dismal. With all the posts in this topic; I hope Buck doesn't manufacture 200 Trail Blazer 317 because just me, gsea and one other has said they would purchase them. Ditto, on a 334 Trapper. Whereas with Caig's model 301 there were a dozen that said they wanted one.
Then with the recent screwed together frame 110 there was a lot of talk about it only it was in another members topic. I think
a board member picked up on it in SK knives thread. DM

Last edited:
I’m sure many collectors regret not picking up the BCCI 301’s when they had the chance. I only have one of each offering. They do not come up for sale very often but I saw a recent auction where they each sold around the $200 range.

Maybe the success of the Buck 2018 forum knife will be a turning point for slipjoints at Buck.

Even one Buck Deluxe Classic Traditional knife per year would be better than black delrin, 420HC, weak action, and same blades forever. Buck can use that name for free by he way, and I am available for onsite product consulting for 1 million per year, plus a Ford 350GT company car, and six to 10 weeks vacation (I have some flexibility here)...

Back