Ideas for stopping my knife pocket clip from scratching my car?

You might read my post just prior to yours and you will read how I have scratched the side of my pickup more than once due to a pocket clip. of course it's human error. Just about everything is in one form or another.... blades closing on your fingers (lock vs no lock) and so forth.....

Then I must have a special talent?

I doubt it.

Just speaking from my experience, not downplaying anyone else's.
I have never scratched anything with a pocket clip even though it hangs out of pocket 24/7 356.

I have no explanation as to why I haven't, but it might just be because I don't walk within an inch of my car or anyone else's. Might just be habit....

I unfortunately work outdoors a lot from my "mobile office" (pickup), or a rental car if I am working out of town and the scratch thing is real as I tend to lean against my vehicle when I use the flat surfaces to set a laptop on, writing notes, setting something on that won't roll off, and so forth. This is pretty much the only time I am close enough to scratch the paint of my vehicle with something attached to my pocket or belt.

I think you, JR88FAN, must just have good habits.

Carry IWB instead of pocket and position the knife at about 4 o'clock ( just behind the hip ) .

Ken

Lol well I'm glad i'm not the only one paranoid about this at times. Just need to be more careful I know.

You don't really realize how often people brush up against cars until you have a car that you don't want anyone brushing up against.

Nice, presumptuous and classy... :rolleyes:

Regardless of what type of vehicle I own, it does not reflect upon how much I care for it, or how I would like for others to treat it. Nor does it speak to what knives I carry.

You have an issue and I offered a solution (two actually and more to follow).
-------
Back on topic.
I know that clipless has been mentioned, what about a leather pocket slip?
If you are wearing jeans, what about opening up the bottom of the change pocket and put it there? In mamy circumstances, this would allow for the knife to be raised up under most shirts, while keeping the knife close to where you are already accustomed to carrying it.

I think the scratching probability changes with different car designs. I put scuffs two or three times on the four door Cavalier we used to have. I'm a biggish man and it always felt cramped trying to get into that car. Other cars we've had were never an issue.

I also think some clip designs are more prone to hit things, or catch on things. More than once I thought my knife was lost, only to find it clipped to the seatbelt.

Just because one individual has never had something happen to them, doesn't mean it can't be a problem for someone else. I've been fortunate to never fall off a ladder, but it happens.

This exact thing has driven me mad, well almost.

If I carry right front pocket tip up (like most do), I'll tear apart the bottom of the leather steering wheel in my GTI. I've already scuffed it multiple times and somehow I can't seem to remember to remove it when I get to the car. Between the phone, earbuds, keys etc I have too much going on to move my knife. I think its a byproduct of the high seat bolsters in that car. I had a hell of a time sitting in it with a holster when I needed to a while back. I don't seem to have that issue in my wife's car. But I digress...

My solution has been two fold. I usually carry tip down strong side IWB which has limited my knife selection. Or carry weak side tip up. The latter means I would carry my BM Mini Barrage or my waved Delica. Both of those can deploy quickly weak handed and I've even learned to unlock & re-pocket them with the weak hand.

If the clip is straight you can put some heat shrink tubing over it and shrink it in place. Just make sure the clip's tip is covered. You probably need to take the clip off, and it gets more difficult when the clip has an irregular shape.

You might be able to use Plastidip too, but I haven't tried it.

Paul

Here's your best answer, either this or deep pocket. I carry a few of my knives with clips in the bottom of my pocket with a lanyard attached.

LCE395f.jpg

I unfortunately work outdoors a lot from my "mobile office" (pickup), or a rental car if I am working out of town and the scratch thing is real as I tend to lean against my vehicle when I use the flat surfaces to set a laptop on, writing notes, setting something on that won't roll off, and so forth. This is pretty much the only time I am close enough to scratch the paint of my vehicle with something attached to my pocket or belt.

I think you, JR88FAN, must just have good habits.

I have been a car fanatic my whole life and it's been (not literally) beat into me to not lean/sit/touch/ or go anywhere near the paint of a car. It's so second nature that I do it around any car, regardless of condition....

Turn the knife around and clip it inward to your coin pocket. Renders the pocket pretty useless, but works.

Or just carry in your back pocket like I do.

You could also try putting some electrical tape on your clip or wear a long unpicked shirt to cover it.

A small piece of paracord (heat/fire terminated ends) sewn to the inside lip of the pocket for stealthy & non-scratchy carry.

1234,,,:)

A small piece of paracord (heat/fire terminated ends) sewn to the inside lip of the pocket for stealthy & non-scratchy carry.

1234,,,:)

Which also opens you up to the possibility of buying a lefty only knife for a song since the demand is less.

Which also opens you up to the possibility of buying a lefty only knife for a song since the demand is less.

Ah,, I put the cord on the inside of the front lip of the pocket, so it's in the same place as "normal" carry.

Lefty clip knives goes in the left pocket,, same system there.

1234,,:D

I was thinking going from pocket seam and extending into the pocket (along inside of the pocket lip) the width of the knife + 1/8" or so...

I was thinking going from pocket seam and extending into the pocket (along inside of the pocket lip) the width of the knife + 1/8" or so...

Try different methods until you find one that fits you.

Upsides with the method is no clip showing/catching/scratching, downside, it can be slightly harder to access the knife, but you will get used to
the particulars with some carry/use time.

Oh, and you can try with stripped/un-stripped cord, the clip will be held more secure with un-stripped paracord due to thickness.

1234,,:)

I have been a car fanatic my whole life and it's been (not literally) beat into me to not lean/sit/touch/ or go anywhere near the paint of a car. It's so second nature that I do it around any car, regardless of condition....

Certainly a good habit. With me, I may be working from my vehicle for weeks at a time every day. It generally is too much trouble to carry around a small table. Over time you get rather casual with the vehicle being restricted to it for 8-12 hours a day, everyday, in the sense that it is just another tool that you are using. That doesn't stop me from kicking myself in the butt for scratching the paint or tearing a seat when just paying a bit more attention would solve the problem. Normally it is MY vehicle and MY paint that I am scratching. Bugs me.

I don't really know a solution to the scratching problem other than paying more attention. Perhaps a bit of plastic tubing (like 1/4" or 3/8" ID or something) slid up the clip might work but it would restrict the knife being either removed or placed on the pocket etc. I keep various sizes available and may try that. I use the tubing on air pumps.

Back