If Knife Brands Were Cars

I had a lot of fun reading it, thank you topic starter!

And of course, like everyone else here, I disagree 😆 I'm talking about Mora now (don't even know what Yugo is). I would probably compare it to a Volvo :)

I have had this thought before: "I'm not rich enough to have a garage full of exotic cars, but I can afford the knife-collector's equivalent of a few classic Mustangs (Randalls), a bunch of Hondas and Acuras (Spyercos, Benchmades), a few Corvettes (CRKs), etc."

It's not an exact comparison, and everyone has their own biases. For example, I consider most Kershaws the Toyota Corallas of the knife world.

To me the Sebenza 31 is like the latest update of a F-22 Raptor.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. n-no.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. n-no.

oh yes baby..

Why just cars, though?

XGkC6W3.jpg

2bnxEwG.jpg

Sincere we're at it: what if Cereal bowls were brassieres?🤣
Funny, but I'd say knives and cars have a few things in common:
1) You don't need to spend a lot to get reliable transportation or a reliable cutter -- but most people here do
2) You can geek out on the technical details to justify your outlandish purchases (i.e., BMW M or M4 steel)
3) There's some brand loyalty (i.e., I'll never own a Ford or a Medford)
4) There's a lot of overbuilt examples, marketed and made for things that the car or knife will never do (i.e., most SUVs never go off-road and most daggers never kill an enemy combatant)
5) New models and colors come out every year or the same model comes out with minor updates
6) You can customize both to meet your own needs or just to look cool (i.e., rims or paint for cars, handles or patinas for knives)
7) There are car shows and knife shows that draw thousands
8) People post on forums about them

I am fairly new to the pocketknife world and have been learning about blade steel metallurgy and knife brands. To make it interesting, I recently had a conversation with a friend in which we described a knife brand as a car brand. Some correlations were funny, some were ironic, and some were spot-on. Here was the list we came up with. How would you change it? Make it better? What would you add? Let me know! Thanks!

Spyderco = Audi (nice enough, but not quite top tier)
Benchmade = Cadillac (overly pricey but not worth as much as they think)
Medford = Tesla (comparing the owners, actually, and each comparison is an insult to the other)
Chris Reeve = BMW (very nice, old brand, a lot of fun to use, but not truly stellar)
Midgards Messer = Hummer (legit)
Cold Steel = Ram (tough, rugged, and on rare occasion, mildly interesting)
Boker = Trabant (Ugh. Just ugh.)
Opinel = Citroen (snoozers)
Microtech = Corvette (fast, powerful, and distinctly American)
Mora = Yugo (cheap, cheap, cheap)
Viper = Alfa Romeo (an under-estimated, Italian high performer)
Civivi = Toyota (reliable, steady, but not too exciting)
Shiragorov = Lamborghini (enough said)
Buck = Jeep (it's old and very blah)
Victorinox = Suzuki (ho hum and uninspiring)
Rockstead = McLaren (nimble, shiny, gorgeous)
CRKT = Chevy (meh)
Rike = Rivian (creative, new thinking makes things exciting)
ESEE = Subaru (outdoors, anyone?)
Ontario = Saturn (gone, long gone)
Smith & Wesson = Lada (groan)

Fun read, it's a peek into what these brands are to you, and a clever way to lay it out. Looks like you have three total messages, and this is the reception you get for sharing your opinions.

I'd like to apologize, this really is a friendly and helpful bunch. It's well worth rolling with some punches now and again. You'll find these same members helping and having your back in other conversations. :)

Back