1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Iltis find

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Cteve, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    [​IMG] I found this old axe at a yard sale for $6. I have never heard of the company Iltis but after a quick search it seams like i got a good deal, anyone have any direct experience with this German steel?

cityofthesouth, Moonw and Agent_H like this.
  2. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    You got quite a deal there for sure. The steel should be excellent.

3. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    my favorite german maker, ochsenkopf

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Are you in Canada? Seems like more of those are found up there.

5. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    steel is good on those ones as is the hang!

6. Curt Hal

Curt Hal Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 8, 2014
    I have a couple of these. They are great. The steel seems good. Nice find for $6!

Agent_H likes this.
  7. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That will match well sharp with a good handle :thumbsup:

Moonw likes this.
  8. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Right on. Besides, I did get a vague le French accent from his posting?

9. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Yup from Canada, though not french "eh"
    Glad i scooped it up. Now to find a handle for it.

Moonw likes this.
  10. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Canadian Survey and Exploration (as in oil, gas and minerals) Outfitters/Suppliers have marketed this brand for many decades. I've happily used these (I even purchased an Iltis Canadian version (made in W Germany) brand new in 1992) since the mid 1980s. The fit and finish of the heads and quality of steel are top notch but many folks will criticize the flat cheeks when they're used as splitters. I also have an older one (Iltis Forester; made in Austria, 1950s) that has a D shaped eye instead of an oval.
    Typically I'd post pictures but I haven't decided what to do about my Photobucket account since it no longer enables 3rd party hosting unless you fork over some dough.

Square_peg, Cteve and Agent_H like this.
  11. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Mine still works, although there servers have major issues. As for the D shape Eye: They still make one. It's the heaviest one they've got, except for the maul of course.... I had a early 1800's Ochsenkopf with a D-shape. Thats when they started.

12. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    300Six, I am finding Flickr to be pretty nice at the free level.

rjdankert likes this.
  13. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    This one had Canadian on the handle, im guessing it would be this Canadian version you mention. It gives me a date, sort of.

14. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I'm surprised that Country of manufacture is not stamped on yours. This is not typical. The Iltis I bought new in Ottawa in 92 was in a Home Hardware shipment of Garant axes which all featured a red embossed maple leaf on the handle. The majority of heads were from elsewhere (already Mexican or Chinese-made?) and I suspect that Garant had quickly gathered up and assembled old inventory just before the company was taken over by Ames. In the mid 1980s a buddy of mine in Calgary sent me a box of lightly used Iltis heads (1/2 dozen of them) that had been orphaned when Great Western Petroleum went belly up.

Cteve likes this.
  15. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    interesting, there was no maple leaf embossed only the words "ILTIS CANADIAN" in gold on the handle. unfortunately the handle was no good.

16. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    An advertisement from 1961 apparently lists the following types of ILTIS axes available in Canada through the distributor H.R. Radomski & Co.:

"Original Pattern ILTIS axes"
    "Canadian Pattern ILTIS axes"
    "Thinner Section ILTIS axes"

Only a "snippet view" is available, but piecing together several snippet views results in this:

ILTIS AXES Give Better Performance because:
    1. Science proved that the blade of an axe is distorted with every stroke.
    2. To minimize this, our engineers designed an axe, thinner in section and lighter.
    3. Our metallurgists developed a steel alloy that strongly resists vibration and breakage, taking a keen edge and holding it.
    RESULT a lighter axe — a stronger axe — Tempered up to the eye — giving greater performance and longer life.
    Let us give you full details.
    Original Pattern ILTIS Axes
    Canadian Pattern ILTIS Axes
    Thinner Section ILTIS Axes
    Canadian Distributor for "OX-HEAD" Brand Tools
    H. R. RADOMSKI & COMPANY LTD.
    189 CHURCH STREET, TORONTO 2, ONTARIO.

from Pulp & Paper Magazine of Canada, Vol. 62, 1961, page 200

Cteve likes this.
  17. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    I always found it intersting that they harden a big chunk of the head. They still seem to do that.

18. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    She will be ready for the weekend. There some good info here guys, thanks.
    [​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  19. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Good job on this one.

20. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Errrrr, You do know the head is upside down right? Script should be read from top to bottom standing on the haft. Yours reads from bottom to top..... The "Orig" needs to be on the top side.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Square_peg and Cteve like this.