I'm choil spoiled.

Do you prefer a choil.

• Yes, I like to make fuzzsticks and might cut my hand.

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • No. I want all the cutting edge available when I field dress my Apple for lunch.

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • I use my teeth as a knife.

Votes: 9 14.1%

• Total voters
Especially on fixed blades. Depending on what I'm doing my hand just wants to choke up so bad. Especially when I'm just handling and admiring them. I count that as usage/value because I when I am deriving pleasure from them, it counts as using them.

Even on some of my folders I want to choke. Some designs are such that I'm not as apt, like the Spyderco delica. Or my Benchmade 705 (wish they still made it). The paramilitary and stretch have such a nice efficient handle, your hand feels good no matter how it's gripped.

I just got a buck compadre, which I love and am so glad I got it, but it has no choil and my first instinct is to grab it like it does. I catch myself though.

The bark river bravo1 has that ramp which serves as a reminder. My swamp rat bandicoot and howler have a nice comfy one.

I haven't been mindful enough to be able to say whether I mostly use it if it's available in actual use. Offhand I would have to say I prefer one. On the other hand my most carried knife is my delica.

I need to write a choil haiku. Lol!

Sharpening choils yes absolutely on everything, but a finger choil in the blade I don't need or want.

Why will you cut your hand if you don't have a finger choil, and what does not using a knife have to do with having or not having a finger choil ?

Didn’t know I liked choils until I held a XM-18. Thought about buying one with M390 blade but all were no choils and I wouldn’t buy one. So I guess I love me some choil action

I'm not a fan of finger choils personally.

I'm of the opinion that if a finger choil is "needed" on a knife, then the handle design is all wrong.

That is to say I like being able to "choke up" on a knife as much as the next guy. But when I do that I don't want to be holding half a handle, with some uncomfortable metal between my fingers, and handle scales that don't extend forward. So they may as well just extend the handle farther, and give me something decent to hold onto.

But again, that's just my opinion. I don't care if others like them at all. However, I won't typically seriously consider purchasing a knife if it has a choil.

Fixed. I prefer a finger choil but it isn't a deal breaker.

Folder. Most of my folders don't have a finger choil. Indifferent on folders.

Sharpening choils are nice to have on both. It makes sharpening easier.

I like choils on some knives. On other knives, I dont want them.
For what its worth, my last two customs does not have choils. Still like choils though.
Sharpening choils yes absolutely on everything ...
That would be a 'sharpening notch,' not a choil IMO.
YMMV

I like to make my own very small shrpening choil. Don't need or want finger choils. If I choke up on a knife, it is pinched between my thumb and side of my forefinger. Only for very delicate work.

I like choils on my folders because I can get more handle out of a shorter length knife making it easier to carry, IMO. The native 5 is a favorite of mine. I really don't need much over 2.5" of cutting edge most of the time so I don't mind losing some edge so that my hand can fit better onto the knife. I also find folders with choils seem to be nicer with gloves for me.

50/50 choils are the preferred finger choil on my folders.

Never really liked them until I got to the bigger knives. If 7" or up then yes please.

33252005961_00ac5ae1ba_b.jpg

and what does not using a knife have to do with having or not having a finger choil ?

You've never handled a new knife in multiple grips just to see if it fits your hand?

I have yet to see a brick and morter store allow you to test cut before you buy. Also if you order online you shouldn't return a used knife if it doesn't fit your hand.

I'm not a fan of finger choils personally.

I'm of the opinion that if a finger choil is "needed" on a knife, then the handle design is all wrong.

That is to say I like being able to "choke up" on a knife as much as the next guy. But when I do that I don't want to be holding half a handle, with some uncomfortable metal between my fingers, and handle scales that don't extend forward. So they may as well just extend the handle farther, and give me something decent to hold onto.

But again, that's just my opinion. I don't care if others like them at all. However, I won't typically seriously consider purchasing a knife if it has a choil.

^ Exactly my thought.

love choils. especially on folders. its a major factor in purchasing decisions for me.

Whether I like the choil or not depends entirely on the knife design. I prefer a guard (bottom) or a choil on fixed blades and any knife that might see hard use. The guard is often un-needed depending on the handle design.

My general attitude is if a knife has a choil, don't make it too excessively large or long/wide unless the design is essentially an extension of the handle.

You've never handled a new knife in multiple grips just to see if it fits your hand?

I have yet to see a brick and morter store allow you to test cut before you buy. Also if you order online you shouldn't return a used knife if it doesn't fit your hand.
I think you misunderstood me.
His options are
Yes, no, and I use my teeth.

My question is what does not being a knife user have to do with anything, overall his post came off as if he was saying finger choils are the only way to go.

Back