1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I'm done with Benchmade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Torquem, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torquem

Torquem Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't think I have ever made a negative thread about any manufacturer on any forum. But today, I am done with Benchmade. I'm tired of returning knife after knife for quality control issues that should be caught before they even leave the factory. Today I was so happy because I thought I was getting my mini crooked river back after being at Benchmade for weeks (a gift from my brother, mind you). Opened it up and bam. Warranty denied. No reason except a generic form letter stating warranty policies. I immediately called them and basically received the spoken version of their form letter and that I received "bad information" from one of their representatives before sending it in. There was no use losing my temper. I just thanked him for his time and hung up. This NEVER would have happened with Zero Tolerance. Exact opposite experience with them in every case. ZT customer service has been STELLAR. I'm not going to get into it any more or cause any more of a stink. I'm just moving on from Benchmade.

t.willy, JasonJ, Idahonotu and 13 others like this.
  2. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    That sucks. What kind of issues?

3. solman

solman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Yes I am wondering what issues you encountered that you wanted resolved?

4. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Well that can't be good for America...
    Hard to image this should happen
    to a reputable brand.
    Built to last defines everything one hopes
    for with quality products proudly made in the USA
    And that includes after sale services.
    QC issues are real silent killers for industry.
    Looks like it pays of for intrepid
    knifenut consumers to buy
    in a brick and mortar store
    just so they can physically
    inspect each knife prior to
    any form of purchase.

5. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Another BM QA/Warranty story. Not the first. My first BM was a 940 with a blade so far off-center that it was about one human hair width short of being in direct contact with the presentation side scale. That knife was obviously never even looked at by any QA people at BM and if anybody ever did look at it (like maybe whoever assembled it), they even more obviously couldn’t have cared less about the quality of the product they were assembling and shipping out. You’re definitely not alone and you’re certainly not the first customer that BM has driven away with their peculiar brand of QA, so don’t feel bad.

mdrgn79 and Lapedog like this.
  6. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Find it kind of amusing that within an hour of each other, one is done with Benchmade, while another just got their first. Circle of life i guess...

7. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    What is the issue?

Sergeua and Dallas T like this.
  8. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    What did you think was a problem that they did not?

jux t and jbmonkey like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm in agreement that I would like to know what the issue was before we lynch anyone ... ???

Sergeua and Dallas T like this.
  10. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Well, he's "gold" and 3 yrs so I won't jump on him...I've had my issues before with BM, so I'm kinda in his same shoes.... I'm a Spydie fan, with no apologies...

11. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I've had no issues with my Benchmade knives other than a loose pivot on the 940, loctite took care of that, and some sharp shoulders on the Contego that just needed to be sanded over a bit

12. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I have the few I have, but wouldnt add anything in the future.

13. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    How can you not say what the issue with the knife is? We need at least that much.

Jcsixx01 and marcinek like this.
  14. Knicked Digits

Knicked Digits

Dec 24, 2016
    ZT sleeper cell maybe?

t.willy, Gideons and Twindog like this.
  15. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Would be nice to know what issues we are discussing here.

16. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    It would have been nice to see the exact reason it needed service in the first place. However, if a BM representative told you to send it in for service and then you were later denied in the way you say; that sounds like a real problem. If nothing else, it might be worth reaching out to someone higher on the food chain over there.

I've never dealt with BM customer service. However, I have dealt with Kai. I've owned a ton of Kershaws over the last 20+ years. I've never had a major problem but I did have to call and ask for a new torsion bar once. They sent it at no charge with no questions asked. I've called a few times to request deep carry clips for various knives and they've always been happy to send me one free of charge. They've been friendly and courteous. They've been glad to answer questions and hear customer feedback. I'm guessing you'd get similar treatment with ZT knives.

115Italian likes this.
  17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm not a huge BM fan , but for this kind of condemnation, I believe that specifics and even some documentation would be helpful .

CS is vital and can make or break a higher end company's reputation .

Serious allegations should be supported by serious proof ! :)

slakercruster and 115Italian like this.
  18. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    I went to buy a grip some time ago as a gift. I tried 6 of them before I found
    one with even grinds and good centering...but the pivot was stiff. I fixed that
    easily. I was checking out the much loved 940 in a store and all of the stock they
    had was bad...centering (one hit the scale on one side),
    uneven swedges, stiff, lock stick...you name it.
    It seemed based on what I saw the more popular the model the worse the QC.
    I have 2 infidels and they are perfect. Limited run grip in M390 and micarta...
    also very nice. I think they figure that muggles that buy them won't notice.
    Or QC goes out the window to make production numbers.

The ones I have now are decent. But I only buy Spyderco and ZT now.
    They are fine to buy sight unseen. But no way is that true of benchmade
    in my experience. You better look and test first.
    I love the AXIS lock...but now I have enough of them. Flippers and compression
    locks are cool too!

19. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    I've only owned one BM so no real opinion one way or the other but you hear alot of ppl having issues with their CS. All companies have qc issues pop up but you never hear bad CS stories from KAi, buck, Spyderco or Leatherman (Sure I missed some, just examples) Just the usually "booo hoo they charged me for a reblade after I used it as a pry bar, y wasn't it free" kinda stuff

CPM3V likes this.
  20. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I've only dealt with BM CS a couple of times, both back in 1998, having to do with my first BM knife, an AFCK. The blade was not straight, but seemed like in the heat treat it had bent so that closer to the tip, it scraped the non-presentation (clip) side liner. Their CS was actually quite pleasant, and ended up discussing with me over the phone for about 20 minutes (voluntarily from their end) when my knife was back there. He ended up saying yes, it was pretty bad, and he sent me a brand new and perfectly good AFCK, which I still have today. It's possible things have changed, and that the really helpful CS/repair guy I spoke to 20+ years ago probably isn't even there anymore.

That said, I haven't bought a BM knife since around 2003 or 2004, and haven't been interested since. I recall that in the late '90s/early 2K, there were QC issues discussed on forums, enough that Les DeAsis himself posted something on one or two forums. When I stopped buying BMs, it was because I wasn't interested in their designs anymore, and not due to QC issues. I had thought their QC, including their OOB edges and centering, had improved before I stopped buying them. It's sad to hear from so many that since then it seems to have dropped even further than the previous time. Even though I don't buy BM anymore, I would still hope they would do well making good products with great QC. Especially since, in their old hard-copy catalogs I used to get, they would boast about all the care and tight tolerances that go into every knife design "before a machine ever turns."

Jim

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    DocJD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.